Krell HTS 5.1 surround processor

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
highfihoney said:
On this we agree,after a point its extremely hard to hear a difference in sound then it comes down to other things like personal preference,looks,resale value ect,build quality & redundant internal components are reasons for these type components to cost as much as they do,its pretty amazing to open the hood on a krell amp & see everything shoe horned inside the case,these are not empty boxes that rely on heavy gauge face plates & heat sinks for weight.

As far as being over rated its hard to compare krell with other gear unless were comparing apples to apples,krell has some outstanding amplifier designs like the sustained plateau bias amps that are capable of driving wild loads with crazy impendance swings that would send alot of amps into protection & still be able to double down in power all the way to 1 ohm & below,these amps are made to drive the crap out of every speaker on the planet & are not limited in their use.
The driving range of their amps is very impressive. I would love an amp like a Krell, Byston, or McIntosh for some very hard to drive speakers. Of course a pre/pro has no effect on how well certain speakers can be driven.:D

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Seth=L said:
The better question is where are the people that can afford Krell. I don't know anyone that actually owns Krell stuff. I feel they are over-rated.
the pawn shop down the road has 1 and an amp kvs250 i think. for a the minor price of 4500 and 2400.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
dave1490 said:
the pawn shop down the road has 1 and an amp kvs250 i think. for a the minor price of 4500 and 2400.

just to give you an idea of this amp.it,s 250watt per side pure class A.the tranformer in it is round and about 12in in diameter, wieght is about 120ib,s,and can feed loads of less then 1 ohm.not that,s an AMP!.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
starcraftbw said:
I like Krell cuz they're identical to Mcintosh. I'll go mixture of mac + krell for my future audio/video system. I like Krell HTS 5.1 cuz it has Balance XLR input and output (6 indivial dual xlr outputs) and this will fit perfectly with my power amp. Most of current pre-amps don't have this feature.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?prea51ch&1157099091

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?prea51ch&1162954826

they were very well made IMO.
Hi,if you haven't noticed yet most of the time any mention of high end gear on this site will cause a thread to become what this one has,dont let these guys scare ya,for the $1,000 or less that your going to pay for the krell you'll be hard pressed to find a better quality processor that will still have any value 5 years from now & unless you need all the latest connections which history has proved will most likely be obsolete in a few years you should be all set.

We have talked a bit about systems in pm's & i firmly believe that your on the right track with the gear that your looking at buying,there are a few things to keep in mind when buying high end gear.

1,Never buy anything brand new or when its hot instead wait & buy gear that has allready been replaced with a newer model,let somebody else take a loss in order to have the latest & greatest connections.

2,Remain patient while looking for your gear & always have more than one component in mind so when the right deal comes along you can leap on it.

3,Never buy anything used from a dealer,all dealers mark up their used gear to maximum or above value making it next to impossible for you to recoup your investment should you choose to sell.

4,Only buy gear that comes with factory packing,as was pointed out in this thread krell charges $100 each for their boxes & mcintosh charges between $50 & $100 for theirs but the main reason for insisting on factory packing is dealing with shipping companies,in the event of shipping damage if the unit is in factory packing your gaurenteed to get repaid from the shipping company but if it was hand packed in a box from uhaul your screwed.

Your making some good choices with krell & mcintosh both which have proven build quality & are proven to hold great resale value & not become throw away gear in 5 years like most off the shelf gear.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
highfihoney said:
Hi seth,im a krell owner ,for what application do you feel krell is over rated?

dont feel bad honey any amp thats pure class a and can handel 1ohm loads is fine by me.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
dave1490 said:
just to give you an idea of this amp.it,s 250watt per side pure class A.the tranformer in it is round and about 12in in diameter, wieght is about 120ib,s,and can feed loads of less then 1 ohm.not that,s an AMP!.

my 2 bryston 4b,s cant even come close to driving 1ohm loads.it,s just that for somthing that exspensive to have a less then 5yr warrenty changed my mine.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
dave1490 said:
dont feel bad honey any amp thats pure class a and can handel 1ohm loads is fine by me.

Hi dave,i dont feel bad it just gets old that every single time there is mention of any high end gear(with exception to speakers) the thread turns to this regardless what the thread was about.

Funny thing is that nobody posting in this thread bothered to ask the OP what price he was going to pay for the krell,talk about name recognition.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
dave1490 said:
my 2 bryston 4b,s cant even come close to driving 1ohm loads.it,s just that for somthing that exspensive to have a less then 5yr warrenty changed my mine.
Written warrenty periods can be misleading,krell is well known for charging nothing or very little to fix gear that is well out of warrenty,in my case i sent them a ksa150 to be recapped after many years of heavy use,they inturn sent me back my amp at zero cost with an apology for not having it to me sooner.

Same goes for my mcintosh gear,on the 2 occasions i needed service on used gear(40 years old) they only charged me shipping & in both cases sent me a bunch of free swag goodies:)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've been a Krell owner since 1991 (just saw my receipts) I own a KST amp and a KSL pre-amp, this is the heart of my 2.0 system, along with a Proceed PCD cd player, I've had all this gear since new and yes it was a lot money to invest, but for 16 years of hard use not one piece of gear has failed. Krell is expensive but like anything expensive it brings joy to it's owner on many different levels. As for the laughing stock swipe, I guess Lamborghini and Ferrari are the laughing stocks of hi-end cars, I mean since a car's purpose is to get you from point A to point B right? And as for the boxes, they're built to hold and protect ultra heavy equipment during shipping, so yes it makes since to hold on to your box unless you want to pay more money needlessly.

Last edited:
highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
stratman said:
I've been a Krell owner since 1991 (just saw my receipts) I own a KST amp and a KSL pre-amp, this is the heart of my 2.0 system, along with a Proceed PCD cd player, I've had all this gear since new and yes it was a lot money to invest, but for 16 years of hard use not one piece of gear has failed. Krell is expensive but like anything expensive it brings joy to it's owner on many different levels. As for the laughing stock swipe, I guess Lamborghini and Ferrari are the laughing stocks of hi-end cars, I mean since a car's purpose is to get you from point A to point B right? And as for the boxes, they're built to hold and protect ultra heavy equipment during shipping, so yes it makes since to hold on to your box unless you want to pay more money needlessly.
Dude! your killin me with that caveman head:D i have a hard time even readin your posts,i cant stop looking at that head!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
highfihoney said:
Dude! your killin me with that caveman head:D i have a hard time even readin your posts,i cant stop looking at that head!
Don't make fun of me, me born this way, and I gave you fire. How you like to start your morning with a mad sprint to your cave-office while being chased by a pack of hungry raptors? Not fun being caveman, and GEICO owes me money, keep paying me in rocks.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
stratman said:
and GEICO owes me money, keep paying me in rocks.
I think they gave all their cash to that stupid little lizard,maybe you should shake down the lizard for back pay or you could just eat it:D

JVC

JVC

Banned
highfihoney said:
If you think they are ripping people off just call ANY custom box manufacturer & get a quote for yourself & dont forget to ask for a quote on form fitting foam panels for all 6 sides of the box,you will freak out at how much it costs to get a box made,at $100 a box they are giving the boxes away at cost.
Since I keep the boxes for everything, this will never happen to me. But, if it should somehow. anyone that tries to charge me $100 for a cardboard box, will either be laughed at, or cussed out..........depending on the mood I'm in. In most cases, it will be the latter!

With the quantities the manufacturer buys the boxes in, they probably don't cost them over $1 apiece, if that much. Then, the price they're gonna charge you for the repairs! Even if they paid shipping both ways, they're gonna come out ahead..............

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
highfihoney said:
I think they gave all their cash to that stupid little lizard,maybe you should shake down the lizard for back pay or you could just eat it:D
Yuuuum lizzzzard (mouth watering) maybe with some AFLAC duck on the side. Caveman hungry go eat now.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
JVC said:
Since I keep the boxes for everything, this will never happen to me. But, if it should somehow. anyone that tries to charge me $100 for a cardboard box, will either be laughed at, or cussed out..........depending on the mood I'm in. In most cases, it will be the latter!

With the quantities the manufacturer buys the boxes in, they probably don't cost them over $1 apiece, if that much. Then, the price they're gonna charge you for the repairs! Even if they paid shipping both ways, they're gonna come out ahead..............

JVC,there comes a point where you guys just try to dream up stuff in order to jump on the bash high end gear band wagon so you can scream price gouging & your posts in this thread are a classic example,have you ever seen a krell box or held one in your hands ?These boxes weigh more than half of the recievers on best buys store shelf & are meant to hold 150 pound amplifiers that cost as much as a nice car not to mention the inner box protection,these boxes look nothing like you are used to seeing with consumer grade gear with the flimsy cardboard & the cheesy little polystyrene inserts.You can cry foul & make a ton of jokes but if you ever need to have some custom boxes made for yourself you'll quickly see just how expensive it really is for a box capable of holding a 150 pound load & still meet the packing guidelines set by all the shipping companies like ups,fedex & so on.

Before you go off crying price gouging take some time & investigate the guidelines that all shipping companies use for electronics & then get a quote from mail boxes ect or the ups store for a custom box capable of holding a 150 pound amp & meeting the shipping guidelines.

Some pics of a $75 high end amp box.

You should research a subject before you accuse a company of price gouging.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've got a great "scientifc" test, take three fifty pound plates tape them

together, get the biggest box Dennon or Yamaha makes (if they're too small,

feel free to use two, just cut them to fit, put them together with duct tape)

put the plates inside (see if you can lift them) and pick up the box. Wait is

that 911 I hear?:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis