Kolchak the Night Stalker

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
got the series pack for Christmas and have been working my way through it.

ok so the stories were a little on the cheesy side (though brilliant compared to most of the X-Files writing), the special effects were mostly cut-aways and they reused footage left and right, and there are all those early 70's haircuts to make fun of, but they did a really great job on this.

The video transfer and sound from the original (73 timeframe) is incredibly good, even on a 42 inch screen. After seeing the video pile of trash that was the original Battle Star Galactica (digitized boxes all over the place), I pretty much expected a bunch of grainy, blurred shots with scratchy sound.

the opening, used for each show, does look very grainy. the actual content of each of the shows is very sharp, especially for something originally shot to be seen on a 21 inch console. the sound is consistantly well-mixed and easy to understand. someone put some effort into making this a worthwhile purchase.

the series includes all 20 of the shows ever produced (there was no FOX around back then to keep niche series alive). the series can be had for under thirty dollars.

you have to buy the two lead in movies seperately. they come on a single disk and cost about ten bucks.

if you're old enough to remember watching these as a eight year old, it's just a really great time. and Darrin McGavin (some 82 years old now) could kick David Duchovny's butt, any day, anywhere, anytime.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm glad you clarified which one you were talking about.

The original was great fun in a campy, 70's kinda way and McGavin had the required smartass personality and humor to pull it off but this new series, well,.. is that even still on?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Leprkon said:
if you're old enough to remember watching these as a eight year old, it's just a really great time. and Darrin McGavin (some 82 years old now) could kick David Duchovny's butt, any day, anywhere, anytime.
man was the night stalker a great show,even though the monsters clearly had rubber heads it was & still is alot of fun to watch:)

my favorite episode was the headless horseman,if you looked really close you could see the guys eyes peeking out of the costume:D

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I loved the original series and have the 2 Monday Night at the Movies pilots.

I had such high hopes for the new one, but it got canned right in the middle of a cliff-hanger! ABC, because it has such success with "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" just doesn't give low rated shows a chance.

I hear Sci-Fi is picking the series up and plans to air it in it's entired including the unaired episode (epidsodes?). I don't believe they are going to try to produce any new ones though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis