Knukoncepts krux speaker wire ?

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
FullSizeRender.jpg
Ok. Need pics...
Cable erotica...

I made this with my own two hands and a drill.

It is made with blue jeans Belden wire with the outer grey jacket removed. Two conductors are twisted together (they already are but it's a tighter twist here) using the drill. Repeat with second pair. Then twist those two twisted pairs together -- in the opposite direction. This creates a double twisted pair. Good For RF and resistance. Two locking spade terminations for amp/wall outlet end, for for the speakers binding posts, eliminating the need for jumpers (aka, bi wired).

This is a short test run for speakers attached to a wall jack.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are the cables? They don't look like anything fancy...

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
Those are the cables? They don't look like anything fancy...
Home brewed. I Added a description to photo. Would be Cheaper than knutz. And made of FOUR 10AWG CONDUCTORS.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I see. I did something similar before I learned that passive bi amping was pretty much useless. I still have a couple of lengths.

20170910_102732-1305x734.jpg

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
I see. I did something similar before I learned that passive bi amping was pretty much useless. I still have a couple of lengths.

View attachment 22247
Those are cool. I hear you on the biwire. I just don't like the sheet metal jumpers. They dont make the greatest contact. And extra wire jumpers just get cluttered looking I'd you can see the back.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are cool. I hear you on the biwire. I just don't like the sheet metal jumpers. They dont make the greatest contact. And extra wire jumpers just get cluttered looking I'd you can see the back.
Not just biwiring, passive bi amping doesn't really do anything either. I've experimented with it and came to the conclusion that my experience matches a lot of what I've read about it. Pretty much just a waste of wire (see also "buy-wire"). Especially if someone is into buying nonsense like knukoncepts, kimber, audioquest etc...

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
Not just biwiring, passive bi amping doesn't really do anything either. I've experimented with it and came to the conclusion that my experience matches a lot of what I've read about it. Pretty much just a waste of wire (see also "buy-wire"). Especially if someone is into buying nonsense like knukoncepts, kimber, audioquest etc...
Yes, I have seen the Great Shredded Ones' YouTube video on biampibg and biwiring.

The only caveat for my particular situation is that my power amp, a Bob Carver designed and signed sunfire signature 2x600W It is a great amp, but has one gimmicky feature (hey, it's a bob carved designed amp, what do you expect?). it has two sets of binding posts; of which is "current source" and the other "voltage source". One set has a resistor wired in there which goofs the sound around. If you wire the tweeters into that it it creates Quasi tube or semi-electrostatic like effect and extra mile wide wide sound stage. It's goofy but fun from time to time to wire it up that way for grins and giggles.

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
FullSizeRender.jpg
Here is a Kimber 4PR.

See, hot braiding and twisting action!

As you can see, it's not a double twisted pair; instead the eight conductors are woven/braided. Except at the very end where I terminated them, with the pos and neg into double twisted pairs. FWIW, kimber terminates them by just spiraling the four conductors together and putting obscenely branded and redundantly color coded heat shrink on them. Lame!

Something like this is what I'm talking about doing with the knutz cable, but with four terminals at the speaker end at least. No heat shrink. No rubber boots. Maybe just a properly crimped spade for ultra minimalism. Knutz has 16 strands with 4 different colors so one can do it right

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
View attachment 22249 Here is a Kimber 4PR.

See, hot braiding and twisting action!

As you can see, it's not a double twisted pair; instead the eight conductors are woven/braided. Except at the very end where I terminated them, with the pos and neg into double twisted pairs. FWIW, kimber terminates them by just spiraling the four conductors together and putting obscenely branded and redundantly color coded heat shrink on them. Lame!

Something like this is what I'm talking about doing with the knutz cable, but with four terminals at the speaker end at least. No heat shrink. No rubber boots. Maybe just a properly crimped spade for ultra minimalism. Knutz has 16 strands with 4 different colors so one can do it right
I'll bet you mine are indistinguishable from those, tho I might have fewer twists than the kimber... I'm sure they'd say the number of twists in mine are gonna mess up the dielectric blah blah blah. I have a ringer tho. Home Depot. 14awg. Good stuff, and might actually be cheaper to make than the materials kimber and their ilk uses. Not sure about that one though, but I'll bet they pay pennies for their $30,000 supercables.

You sure do seem to be fascinated by these esoteric interconnects and related items. I know the few things you have talked about you said were given to you. Audiophoolery or not, generous friends like that are good to have! I'd hook 'em up. Won't make a lick of difference in sq, but they'd look purty with the rest of my equipment.

So, how many of these expensive magic cables and interconnects that people just give you do you have, if you don't mind my asking? You post about it a lot, so I'm assuming you must have a pretty good collection of the stuff. Did you just recently learn these companies are pretty much thieves who take advantage of our tendency to fall for placebo? It's easy to get suckered in. I spent way too much on monster cables due to my ignorance at the time. Between the flat out lies and convincing (at least to me at the time) techno babble I let the salesperson get me.

Have you ever tried measuring differences? If you did, what did you find?

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
Just looking for a certain look. It's purely a style thing. Cause the backside of my speakers are one of the first things someone sees when the walk into the living room. And as I said the metal jumper things really don't make the best contact. And are fugly.

Yeah had lots passed on to me. Which is cool.

And!!! Both the twisted pair and the braided geometry has done actual physics to it. It may not affect sound unless one goes crazy on capacatence levels relative to amp. It's not like I'm taping batteries on them. So whatever.

Here is what is going on now, with gifted audio quest wire I had to biwire to get enough gauge. I kid you not. They conductors are 16 AWG at best. I'd like to clean up the two 1/2 rubber cords down to 1.Only one of them will fit in the stands routing so it trails down the back too...tacky.

See what I mean? Just wanting to keep it minimal-tastical.

Last edited:
music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
The kimbers speaker and interconnect I have came with an integrated and CD player and some speakers I bought second hand ages ago. I did not buy it for the cables. It you know, the speaker cable is really Too nuts in price compared to "beautified" stuff like canare star quad tarted up in techflex etc. the interconnects...those are a near travesty. They work ok at the whopping 1.5 feet length. They are now connecting a tuner to a whole home monoprice 6 zone amp. And let me tell you that monoprice amp is the BOMB! It is off the hook great for the money. Seriously. I run real speakers off that thing and it is impressive indeed!

The audioquest junk came with the sunfire components handed down to me. I think I actually bought the ixos interconnect. It was only $50 though. And it's a nice yellow color. And a couple monster cables showed up somewhere down the road. But I'm using bluejeans for most everything. And some standard monoprice 10 awg upstairs in the av set up. The BJC speaker cable is fine but not the most flexible or prettiest stuff. Han doesn't like the way it looks. You know I have to get Han approval.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what is it about the jumper strips that have insufficient contact? Never heard that one before....bad enuf speakers even come with that silly stuff, tho.

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
Just what is it about the jumper strips that have insufficient contact? Never heard that one before....bad enuf speakers even come with that silly stuff, tho.
It's just the way they sit on the binding posts when using spade connectors. Which I'm using to keep the cable flatter against the rear of the speaker. And, ironically, mirage did not exactly cheap out on the stock metal jumper plates. These are not the sheet metal sort one usually finds. They are fricken whoppers. Machined 1.5mm thick gold plated brass (too stiff for copper) 3/4 inch wide and about 5" tall. Again, it's spades that make it awkward. But the binding posts were obviously designed for spades. So there you go.

Maybe too much metal and clutters up the back a d quite blingy cardas binding posts. Which is visible in my room. So looks better without them. And Trust me, it really does sound better jumping it with short wire or rather, just splitting the speaker end of the wire into four conductors. The highs can be attenuated otherwise etc. and the speakers are not klipsch ear-splitting horn shreikers. (Which is fine with me!). The jumpers are the one bad thing About the speakers really. And If I leave the jumpers on plus add wire, the sound goes all phasey. Like I turned the speaker wires into antennas. It's weird. I think mirage eithe wanted people to biwire/biamp them since its recommended in the manual. Hosers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's just the way they sit on the binding posts when using spade connectors. Which I'm using to keep the cable flatter against the rear of the speaker. And, ironically, mirage did not exactly cheap out on the stock metal jumper plates. These are not the sheet metal sort one usually finds. They are fricken whoppers. Machined 1.5mm thick gold plated brass (too stiff for copper) 3/4 inch wide and about 5" tall. Maybe too much metal and clutters up the back a d quite blingy cardas binding posts. Which is visible in my room. So looks better without them. And Trust me, it really does sound better jumping it with short wire or rather, just splitting the speaker end of the wire into four conductors. The highs can be attenuated otherwise etc. and the speakers are not klipsch ear-splitting horn shreikers. (Which is fine with me!). The jumpers are the one bad thing About the speakers really. And If I leave the jumpers on plus add wire, the sound goes all phasey. Like I turned the speaker wires into antennas. It's weird. I think mirage eithe wanted people to biwire/biamp them since its recommended in the manual. Hosers.
Why use spade connectors? :) I think you need to step back and think about the changes you're attributing to connectors at all....JMFO, YMMV.

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
Why use spade connectors? :) I think you need to step back and think about the changes you're attributing to connectors at all....JMFO, YMMV.

Dude! Read my post!

If you did you would see that I use the spades because:

1) visual reasons of cable management. Because one sees the rear of the speakers due to room set up.

2) the binding posts were designed for spades primarily and work best with those (except for the metal strap issue).

Have you not ever had a unit with binding posts that just obviously worked better in terms of mechanical attachment with spades or bananas? Like I have a NAD integrated which makes it almost impossible to use spades, while the sunfire amps posts really do better wth spades...bananna plugs just Go in part way. Meanwhile my marantz av receiver is only happy with tiny bullet like bananas cause the posts are so close. Maybe mainstream Sony or denon stuff really is five way.

Give me a break!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Aren't those 5 way binding posts? Looks like they take banana plugs. They don't have the holes in the posts to accept bare wire? If you're worried about contact, that's the best you can do. I've never heard of speakers made to primarily be used with spade connectors. Learn some thing new every day here. What speakers are they? I don't think you've said.

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
this whole thread began with a simple question about any experiences with a particular wire and for those of a scientific mien if there might be red flags for it's capacatence due to its braided geo. Because there were aesthetic reasons it was of interest. That's IT.

There are times and settings when the way a wire looks matters. There are legit reasons to choose one cable over the other, or one termination over the other that may not be purely audio based or which indeed may actually have an affect on performance due to vissisitides if equipment and/or room set up.

Come on dudes! Do you choose your furniture, your car or clothes without any AESTHETIC CRIERIA OR ERGONOMIC CRITERIA extrinsic to technical or use value?

The rejection of snake oil does not oblige one always use monoprice zip cord for zip cord sake. Or Belden 5000 when it's just not going to cut the interior design mustard for whatever reason.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis