Klipsche RF-62 VS Def Tech 7006 Towers

M

memonmz

Enthusiast
I am debating both of these tower options, so I would like to here some opinions from everyone. Oh and some links to any reviews for either speakers would be great. I currenly have the Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 Satellite Surround System with a Denon 1707 and i'm basically looking for something that is going to fill my fairly large (about 25x20) gameroom a bit better. As for a reciever for the towers I am considering either the Denon 1907 or 2307. What does everyone think of this setup, which towers and which receiver will mate to it the best. I work at Best Buy so i've heard both speakers many times I just want to get some outside opinions.

Thanks
Zeshan

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I am certain that there is already a thread on this. Personally, I tried Klipsch speakers once, and will never own them again. By contrast, I love my Def Techs for HT (they are pretty good for music, too.)

B

BobP

Audiophyte
somewhat new

I can only say that I have a pair of B&W 602 S3's in my family room, and I just bought Klipsch RB 61's for my 18 X 30 bonus room. They sound great. I read reviews of the new Klipsch Reference line and saw no issues.. very good reviews. I like them a lot. Better in fact than the substantially more expensive B&W's. Go figure.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
This shows you how radically different tastes can be. I felt that my RB62s were an expensive mistake because the sound was harsh, grating, metallic, and ultimately unlistenable. I was very happy to replace them with B&W 602s. To me, the improvement was night and day, and well worth the 50% price difference.

B

BobP

Audiophyte
somewhat new

Fascinating! Although the acoustics in both my rooms are totally different, and the B&W's are driven by a newer Kenwood, the Klipsch's by a brand new Onkyo. This has to have an impact. This weekend I'll switch them around just for the hell of it. But, honestly, i enjoy both. I was going to buy another set of the B&W's, but I wanted a different sound just to be different, and didn't feel like spending $1000.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
There are reviews of several dt bipolars on their website but none of the 7006's. (detinitivetech.com) I am on my second pair of "supertowers," the 7001tl's. Bipolar speakers are designed to fill a room with sound, and that they do. Some will argue that their imaging is not very good. I completly disagree. Many of the pro reviews state just the opposite. You just have to make sure they are set up properly.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I like to switch speakers around once in a while. This weekend, I put my BP8Bs in my stereo and my B&Ws in their place as HT surrounds. I find myself enjoying this arrangement. In several technical respects, the B&Ws are superior (and among the best in the world), but I still find the Def Techs more involving. I think it is the sheer "bigness" of the sound. They do seem loud, but no complaints from the neighbors so far.

M

memonmz

Enthusiast
There are reviews of several dt bipolars on their website but none of the 7006's. (detinitivetech.com) I am on my second pair of "supertowers," the 7001tl's. Bipolar speakers are designed to fill a room with sound, and that they do. Some will argue that their imaging is not very good. I completly disagree. Many of the pro reviews state just the opposite. You just have to make sure they are set up properly.
Yeah i've done alot of research looking for reviews of both speakers and apparently there are alot of Klipsch haters out there. But the other day I swung by the Best Buy I work at and went into our Magnolia studio and just went at it switching between both the 7006 and teh rf-62's which just so happened to be sitting right next to each other. My observations were basically that the Klipsche did present a much more forward in your face sound while the Def Tech's provided a much more dispursed sound. My only gripe of the Def Techs and really the reason why i've almost decided to go with the Klipsch although I love my current Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 is that the 7006's are just too small of a speaker to accomplish what the goal of the bipolar towers is, they just dont' have teh kick to provide an enjoyable experience and still accomplish the sound dispersion that they're supposed to. It basically to me seemed like the sound was in some sense getting lost in translation so to speak, the 7006's would be great speakers for a small to mid size room but in my room size they would just be too small to allow for the imaging and enjoyment that i'm looking for, and at this point I just can't justify spending the money to step up to something like the 7004's or 7002's

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis