Klipsch SPL-150 Important Fix/Tuning

sselshamy

sselshamy

Audiophyte
Good day All,

I want to share with you my experience with Klipsch SPL-150, I. have purchased it last Jan and since the purchase date I really was not satisfied with its performance.

Why I wasn't satisfied:
1- Rattle air sound when there are a lot of air coming out of the box air slot.
2- Rattle sound comes from inside the box during high subwoofer excursion.
3- Bass sound was not tight and accurate.
4- Bass was deep but not enough.

During the last months I have tried a lot of tuning and fixes whether from the A/V receiver or changing the subwoofer gain and crossover but never succeeded to feel and hear the subwoofer is working hard with comfort, its not my first 15 inch subwoofer, so I know how should it sound and behave.

I decided to open the subwoofer box and see what is inside, and I found that the stock wire comes from the internal subwoofer amplifier to the subwoofer itself is very thin (18 AWG).
This is very thin to drive a 400 RMS subwoofer.
I have replaced this cable with another one available in my home (14 AWG), and I recommend 12 AWG but it's not available for the time being.

The result is amazing, its now totally a different subwoofer, it working hard with confident, there is no rattling at all during the air pressure or unwanted sound comes from inside the box.
Bass become more powerful, deeper, hard excursion with comfort.

I don't know why Klipsch putting a thin speaker cable for 15 inch subwoofer, I hope to deliver my voice to them.

Below is the original cable (18 AWG).
Also, a print screen for SVS PB 16 internal subwoofer cable, they are using a twisted double cable to deliver the power to subwoofer which leads to a non negotiable performance.

Wish this is a useful information for others.

Thank you

Klipsch SPL 15 cable.jpg SVS PB 16.jpg SVS PB-2000.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From your description it wouldn't be attributed to a wire gauge, but rather perhaps a wire allowed to rattle internally (by not being secured/routed well). For the length of the wire involved the gauge is not the issue.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A short 18 AWG wire will continuously handle 10 amps on a 120 volt AC circuit without heating. That's 1200 watts!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This could be a great example of bias...you expected a change and "heard" it accordingly. The idea you can hear changes in just the wire gauge in this case I'd tend to call audio bullshit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis