Audiophyte
Alright guys, want to get your input on what you think of this setup:
2 Klipsch R-820-F
1 Klipsch R-34-C
1 Klipsch R-120SW
2 Klipsch RIC-65
2 Klipsch R-51-M
Onkyo TX-NR676

The setup will be 5.1.2. My room is 12’ x 22’ and the home theater system will be in half the room since you are sitting so close to the tv these days (4K tv).

Will this setup work well with each other? Speakers are purchased and I am fairly decided on the receiver, but do not know if it will overpower or underpower the speakers. I don’t want to damage anything and want the receiver/speakers to work well together.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Klipsch speakers have unusually high sensitivity. Any AVR can drive them to ear-bleeding levels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I actually started out with a set up very similar to this almost two years ago. Since then I've sold off the subwoofers and soon the L/R/C. I think Klipsch work good as effect speakers and are affordable however I think they're treble heavy and lack bass. - PS not trying to bash them; this is my view after two years of living with them. They will work fine for home theater.

If you will be listing to music on this setup consider looking a a more neutral speakers: Philharmonic Audio, Focal, Ascend Acoustics to name a few for the L/R speakers. Also check out HSU for the subwoofer(s) they make great ones. Bass is a big part of the home theater experience.

Good luck in your decision making, Chris

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Ive never listened to klipsh speakers, but I hear over and over again that they are bright and heavy on the treble. Which is probably great for music, but maby not so much HT. Bright speakers can be very fatiguing as well. I installed some Focal speakers in my car that are pretty bright and the eq can only do so much. After a long drive the music can some times get bothersome. When I first turn it on tho, it sounds amazing.

P

PeteJR24

Audiophyte
Will the setup in my original post work though?

I have thought about the Polk Signature series to start out with, but they just seemed loud when turned up and not as clear.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Ive never listened to klipsh speakers, but I hear over and over again that they are bright and heavy on the treble. Which is probably great for music, but maby not so much HT. Bright speakers can be very fatiguing as well. I installed some Focal speakers in my car that are pretty bright and the eq can only do so much. After a long drive the music can some times get bothersome. When I first turn it on tho, it sounds amazing.
I find most Klipsch speakers a bit bright for my taste and rather fatiguing but some people swear by them. Supposedly they have a new mid-range product line that addresses this common complaint but I haven't heard them yet.

OP, my advice with either Klipsch or Polk is to find a place where you can audition them at medium-high volume for an extended period to find out if you're in the love'm or hate'em camp. I'd also look for a better subwoofer. Anyway, to answer the original question, while I'm not up on the specs on that Onkyo, it takes very little power to drive Klipsch.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will the setup in my original post work though?

I have thought about the Polk Signature series to start out with, but they just seemed loud when turned up and not as clear.
Yes it will work. The overpowering/underpowering thing for the amp/speaker interface is overstated generally IMO. As was mentioned the speakers are relatively high sensitivity and are easily driven by most avrs altho you don't mention specific distances or the spl levels you listen at which are a big part of the question. Most of the time at reasonably loud sound levels you'll likely only use a couple watts per channel.

Try this article for some perspective https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-matching-amplifier-power. If you want to see more specifics you can play around and approximate your needs with this spl calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

P

PeteJR24

Audiophyte
Thank you so much all. I GREATLY appreciate it.

BTW - listening distance would be 6 - 8ft.

SaTxCowboy57

SaTxCowboy57

Audiophyte
Alright guys, want to get your input on what you think of this setup:
2 Klipsch R-820-F
1 Klipsch R-34-C
1 Klipsch R-120SW
2 Klipsch RIC-65
2 Klipsch R-51-M
Onkyo TX-NR676

The setup will be 5.1.2. My room is 12’ x 22’ and the home theater system will be in half the room since you are sitting so close to the tv these days (4K tv).

Will this setup work well with each other? Speakers are purchased and I am fairly decided on the receiver, but do not know if it will overpower or underpower the speakers. I don’t want to damage anything and want the receiver/speakers to work well together.
Howdy PeteJR24
this is my setup

2x Klipsch R-620-f
1x Klipsch R-34-C
2x Klipsch R-120-SW
2x Klipsch R-51-M
Onkyo TX-NR686
my room is 20x12...
im running a 5.2 system now, but within the next few weeks or so i will be running a 5.2.2 !
i will be hetting the Klipsch R-41sa..
but i was also told by Klipsch i could use the R-51-M as hight speakers ??
but as of now my system JAMS !!!!!!!!! i have no problems with the system !!! (as of now)
im VERY happy with what i have , and it sounds GREAT !!!!!
so its ither gonna be the Klipsch R-820-F or the Klipsch R-41-SA ??? only time will tell !!!!
im also thinking about getting the Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 7.2 A/V Receiver !
only time will tell......all this info is just my 2 cents here !!! have a blessed day !!!
Cliff...a.k.a. Cowboy !

Attachments

M

MichiganExplorer1981

Enthusiast
Any mid entry level receiver will work well with mid level Klipsch speakers. Referring to their Refrence Line

My current setup is a 7.2 system.

Room
15w X 22d X 9h

Receiver
Sony STR-DN1070

Speakers

Center
Klipsch R-34C
Really impressed with the sound this produces for a smaller center channel

Towers
Klipsch R-26F
Using these for front towers and also the rear - so yes I’m rocking 4 of them total.

Middle surrounds
Klipsch RS-42 II

Subwoofers
Klipsch R-110SW

The Sony handles all these speakers with no problem at all and no extra amp has ever been needed. I’ve had this setup for almost a year now and it sounds amazing.

So just make sure to stay with a mid entry receiver, Yahmaha or Denon also makes some good ones.

M

MichiganExplorer1981

Enthusiast
Howdy PeteJR24
this is my setup

2x Klipsch R-620-f
1x Klipsch R-34-C
2x Klipsch R-120-SW
2x Klipsch R-51-M
Onkyo TX-NR686
my room is 20x12...
im running a 5.2 system now, but within the next few weeks or so i will be running a 5.2.2 !
but as of now my system JAMS !!!!!!!!! i have no problems with the system !!! (as of now)
so its ither gonna be the Klipsch R-820-F or the Klipsch R-41-SA ??? only time will tell !!!!
im also thinking about getting the Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 7.2 A/V Receiver !
only time will tell......all this info is just my 2 cents here !!! have a blessed day !!!
Cliff...a.k.a. Cowboy !
Awesome setup!

How do those R-820-F sound compared to the last generations R-28F? I’ve still got the R-26F’s. Any major improvement with the new line?

SaTxCowboy57

SaTxCowboy57

Audiophyte
Awesome setup!

How do those R-820-F sound compared to the last generations R-28F? I’ve still got the R-26F’s. Any major improvement with the new line?
only way to say it !!
you have to hear it for yourself !!!!!
they blew my boots off !!!!!!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Given that your speakers are entirely under the TV, I would have been sorely tempted to use a third R-620-f for the center. There seems to be consensus that matching the LCR as closely as possible is a good thing.

SaTxCowboy57

SaTxCowboy57

Audiophyte
Howdy PeteJR24
this is my setup

2x Klipsch R-620-f
1x Klipsch R-34-C
2x Klipsch R-120-SW
2x Klipsch R-51-M
Onkyo TX-NR686
my room is 20x12...
Cliff...a.k.a. Cowboy !
i have a whole new setup now !!!!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis