Klipsch SC-1 vs. RC-25

L

Len

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi, I am going to purchase a Denon 1804 90 W 6.1 HT receiver and currently have Klipsch SB-2 bookshelf speakers rated at 85 W.
I want to start building a speaker system with a center channel, reasoning that movies would benefit most from this unit.  Klipsch suggests matching the SB-2 with an SC-1, which retails for ~$280. However, I actually like the added features of the RC-25, which sells for ~$199.  See below for a head to head comparison of specs. Timbre matching is a factor; from a web site, it is suggested that it takes about a 4 dB change in mid or high harmonics to be perceived as a change in timbre, whereas about 10 dB of change in one of the lower harmonics is required.  

Questions: Can the SB-2 handle the wattage of the Denon in stereo mode?  (I've heard the power drops in 6.1 mode).
Can it be determined from the specs if the timbre of the two choices are close enough to be indistiguishable?  If not, what info is needed?
What's up with the difference in measuring sensitivity?
Did Klipsch overprice the SC-1?  It sure looks like the RC-25 is the better value.
Any purchase recommendations if you were in my shoes?

Parameter           SC-1                       RC-25

Freq. Response    60Hz-20KHz              69Hz-20KHz  
Sensitivity           95dB @ 1watt/1 m    95dB @ 2.83 volts/1 m
Power                 100 W                     125 W
Enclosure             Sealed                    Bass reflex, front ports*
Impedance           8 ohms                    8 ohms
Drive components  Two way                 Tapered array**
Tweeter                K-101-S 1&quot; Aluminum K-130-DN 1&quot; Titanium*
Tractix horn          5&quot; square 90x60        5&quot; square 90x60
Woofers (2)          K-1079-SV 5.25&quot; IMG  K-1127-OV 5.25&quot;                        
                    cone/cast polymer frame Cerametallic® cone/cast    
                          &nbsp; &nbsp;                             polymer frame*
HF Crossover       2200 Hz                    2250 Hz
MF Crossover       ----                          250 Hz

* Advantage IMHO
** From the Klipsch web site: a 2.5-way design, eliminates the acoustical interference between drivers that plagues most horizontal center-channel speakers. This technology allows both woofers to create intense bass, while only one works with the tweeter to acoustically blend the midrange. The result is a smooth, clear sound not just directly in front of the speaker, but off to the sides as well, where conventional center speakers often exaggerate or eliminate sounds.
</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think the the SB-2's would be OK with the 1804 as you will most likely not overdrive them. The 90 watt vs 85 watt ratings are peak ratings &amp; the receiver is not going to constantly be pushing that amount of power thru your speakers unless you listen to it at max volume. I think you will find it uncomfortable to drive the 2's that hard anyway(I have some KB1.1's) as they will start to scream at you.
&nbsp;As far as I know, the sensitivity is measuring the SPL of the speaker at a certain wattage. Some speakers play louder at lower receiver output than others &amp; I believe the higher the sensitivity rating # the louder it will play at lower outputs. I've heard salesmen refer to to this as &quot;efficiency&quot;. I don't know why there is a different measurement used,unless the models are different years &amp; they changed to conform to industry standards.
&nbsp;For the center channel, demo both if you can &amp; then decide. If you can't, go with your gut feeling. Not that big of a price difference.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis