Klipsch RP8000F or Goldenear Triton 3+

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
I need advice because I can't audition either of these speakers. I realize the Goldenear is a better design, but is it $1350 better?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I need advice because I can't audition either of these speakers. I realize the Goldenear is a better design, but is it $1350 better?
Why do you think the Golden Ear speaker is a better design?

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
The enclosure design, the speaker units themselves, the crossovers, the enclosed subwoofers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The enclosure design of the Golden Ear speaker isn't inherently superior to that of the Klipsch speaker. They are both appropriate for their design goals. Likewise, the drivers do not look superior to each other but rather appropriate for their respective design types, except for maybe the tweeter. I think that the horn-loaded dome tweeter of the Klipsch speaker is actually better than the AMT of the Golden Ear. The Klipsch tweeter is better controlled: RP-8000F measurements vs Triton 3 measurements. As far as crossovers, the RP-8000F crossover does have an off-axis gap that might have been solved with a better crossover, but the Triton 3 also has directivity problem off-axis however the tweeter is so erratic that its hard to say whether that is due to the crossover circuit or tweeter itself. As for the subs, the Triton 3 has them and the RP-8000F doesn't really, the Klipsch bass drivers are more just that, bass drivers, and they won't dig as deep as the Triton 3. However, the Triton 3 subs are no match for a real sub, even a relatively cheap sub like a entry level Hsu or SVS sub.

In the end, I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other, and I would go for the one with the dispersion pattern that you enjoy more. The Golden Ear speaker will be a wide dispersion speaker, and so you can get more early reflections in room which can make for a wider soundstage. The Klipsch has a narrower dispersion pattern which might be a bit more contained as a soundstage but may provide you with more precise stereo imaging. If it were me, I would go for Klipsch, as Golden Ear speakers have been a bit bright for my tastes. I have never been a fan of their particular AMTs. While historically Klipsch has had bright speakers, the RP-8000F sounded pretty balanced to me. And if you want deep bass, get real subs, like a pair of Hsu VTF-2 mk5s, or Monolith 10" THX Selects, or SVS PB-1000s.

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
Thanks
The enclosure design of the Golden Ear speaker isn't inherently superior to that of the Klipsch speaker. They are both appropriate for their design goals. Likewise, the drivers do not look superior to each other but rather appropriate for their respective design types, except for maybe the tweeter. I think that the horn-loaded dome tweeter of the Klipsch speaker is actually better than the AMT of the Golden Ear. The Klipsch tweeter is better controlled: RP-8000F measurements vs Triton 3 measurements. As far as crossovers, the RP-8000F crossover does have an off-axis gap that might have been solved with a better crossover, but the Triton 3 also has directivity problem off-axis however the tweeter is so erratic that its hard to say whether that is due to the crossover circuit or tweeter itself. As for the subs, the Triton 3 has them and the RP-8000F doesn't really, the Klipsch bass drivers are more just that, bass drivers, and they won't dig as deep as the Triton 3. However, the Triton 3 subs are no match for a real sub, even a relatively cheap sub like a entry level Hsu or SVS sub.

In the end, I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other, and I would go for the one with the dispersion pattern that you enjoy more. The Golden Ear speaker will be a wide dispersion speaker, and so you can get more early reflections in room which can make for a wider soundstage. The Klipsch has a narrower dispersion pattern which might be a bit more contained as a soundstage but may provide you with more precise stereo imaging. If it were me, I would go for Klipsch, as Golden Ear speakers have been a bit bright for my tastes. I have never been a fan of their particular AMTs. While historically Klipsch has had bright speakers, the RP-8000F sounded pretty balanced to me. And if you want deep bass, get real subs, like a pair of Hsu VTF-2 mk5s, or Monolith 10" THX Selects, or SVS PB-1000s.
Thanks shadyJ for your outstanding reply. I'm going to purchase the Klipsch because they are well suited to my amplifiers (I will be using 2 class A 80 watt amps vertically bi-amped). Maybe later I will purchase some subwoofers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In short, what Shady said!

I haven't had any hands on with the Triton but I've always been wary of speakers with powered "sub" (in quotes because they're not true subs) woofers. I look at it as adding an amp is potentially shortening the life of the speaker (or at least make repair a major P.I.T.A.) . I skim through Craigslist from time to time and I see DefTechs in there every once in a while with "subs no longer work, but still sound great!" in the description.

A good speaker, taken care of can last for decades. The RP8000F qualifies as such in my book! Have you checked out anything else aside from those 2 or is that what you narrowed it down to?

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
I live in the countryside and on the beach in the Philippines. Auditions are difficult. After much effort online, I found a dealer willing to sell me the Klipsch for $1540 delivered to my door. Besides, few speakers are as highly recommended as the Klipsch. They will work well with my system. Thanks for the reply.

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
In short, what Shady said!

I haven't had any hands on with the Triton but I've always been wary of speakers with powered "sub" (in quotes because they're not true subs) woofers. I look at it as adding an amp is potentially shortening the life of the speaker (or at least make repair a major P.I.T.A.) . I skim through Craigslist from time to time and I see DefTechs in there every once in a while with "subs no longer work, but still sound great!" in the description.

A good speaker, taken care of can last for decades. The RP8000F qualifies as such in my book! Have you checked out anything else aside from those 2 or is that what you narrowed it down to?
Oh, and Pogre, I agree about the subwoofer amps inside the Tritons. If they were to fail, Another major factor why I chose the Klipsch. If

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
Oh, and Pogre, I agree about the subwoofer amps inside the Tritons. If they were to fail, Another major factor why I chose the Klipsch. If
The internet connection failed. Anyway, if the Triton sub amps were to fail, it would be very difficult for me to repair. Another major factor why I chose the Klipsch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis