Klipsch RP8000F frequency response

W

WJGJ

Audioholic Intern
I'm thinking of purchasing the Klipsch RP8000F speakers, but I'm concerned about the difference between the frequency response testing performed by Danny Ritchie of GR Research and James Larson of Audioholics.

See Fixing the Klipsch RP-8000F - with GR-Research.

I wonder why there is such a discrepancy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It was in the measuring distance. Danny, as I understand, measured near field. These speakers are big, and designed to be listened from 8' +. The AH measurements were done much more to standard protocol... I think Shady mentioned 2 meters.

If you are technically inclined, the "fix" Danny created looks good. Might be worth the investment...

But my 2¢, there are better speakers out there than these. ;)

Regardless, it is your system, and your ducats. If these are the speakers you like, you should go with them and enjoy.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm thinking of purchasing the Klipsch RP8000F speakers, but I'm concerned about the difference between the frequency response testing performed by Danny Ritchie of GR Research and James Larson of Audioholics.

See Fixing the Klipsch RP-8000F - with GR-Research.

I wonder why there is such a discrepancy.
I owned the RP 8000fs and never had the issues mentioned by Danny's reviews. But then again I had them set to where I was sitting back at the correct distance as Ryan mentioned is at least 8ft away

They were excellent speakers ryan stated there are better speakers out there true but it depends on your budget

Your going to be hard pressed to find a speaker that can deliver what these do for theyre price point.

So if your on a budget these should be one of your top of your list

If budget isn't an issue then there are better out there but your going to have to pay much more to get a noticeable difference

I auditioned these against Golden Ears Bowers and Wilkins SVS primes and prime pinnacles but not the ultra's paradigm and a few more and was just drawn back to these

They just sound very very good so good I couldn't justify the extra cost with some of the other options there just wasn't enough overall noticeable improvement to make me want to spend extra money.

These speakers held up very well against speakers much higher in price

My advice if you have the correct seating distance get these speakers you won't regret it superb bang for your buck

I doubght you'll even notice the measurement issue in the review it rapidly levels off the farther back you get from the speaker

But Danny does know his stuff so if you want to pay for his upgrade Im sure it won't hurt but I'm skeptical if you'll notice that much of a difference when listening to them from the correct distance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Danny is trying to sell something, James isn't? They're really not comparable tests as mentioned.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Danny is trying to sell something, James isn't? They're really not comparable tests as mentioned.
Don't forget that if Danny based his measurements and "fix" based on a one-meter measurement, the phase relationship between the distant woofers and the other drivers won't be right at, say, 3 meters. So who knows which would measure better where you sit. On the other hand, he may have optimized the new crossover for a far-field response (you can do that with design software if you specify the driver locations and the design distance.) In any event, he should have noted the issue and disclosed more details about the targeted response.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Don't forget that if Danny based his measurements and "fix" based on a one-meter measurement, the phase relationship between the distant woofers and the other drivers won't be right at, say, 3 meters. So who knows which would measure better where you sit. On the other hand, he may have optimized the new crossover for a far-field response (you can do that with design software if you specify the driver locations and the design distance.) In any event, he should have noted the issue and disclosed more details about the targeted response.
What a great point I was thinking it but didn't have the confidence to ask about it from what your saying and it's what I was thinking is great so you change the near field response but now how does that affect everything else including when your farther away? Unless you plan for it changing a speakers response in one way changes it everywhere else and not always for the better unless you've measured and accounted for it. At least that's what I'm reading into what your saying

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis