Klipsch RP 8000F or RP 8060FA, if they were the same price which would you buy?

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
I have the opportunity to purchase the Klipch RP 8060FA's for the same price as the RP 8000F's. Anyone have any thoughts out there on this topic? I can't listen to either for a demo because no one anywhere near me has any in stock. I'm going to pairing them with a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 (135 watts into 8 ohms). I'm mildly concerned that by stuffing in the Dolby Atmos into the 8060's in basically the same size cabinet that there must be some compromise to the performance....I could be wrong.

Currently running a pretty nice 5.1 setup with Dahlquist M-909's as mains (yes, they're dated but still sound pretty damn good) and Dahlquist 903's as surrounds with a Velodyne Sub and Klipsch R-52C center channel.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Well, the cabinets aren't the same size, they're about two inches deeper, so that's probably to keep the internal volume the same for the main front facing drivers. As far as bouncy atmos enabled speakers I don't think they're worth it. You're better off having discrete atmos speakers.

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
The other thing that concerns me is my past experience with brightness / harsh highs from the Klipsch horn tweeters. I know reviewers here at Audioholics and many others I've seen have said thay have "all but" eliminated those harsh in your face highs in this speaker making it a much more accurate speaker than Klipsch has produced in this line and price point (fyi $1378.00 a pair for both 8000 and 8060 models) for some time maybe ever. Still have my concerns not demoing them.

My Dahlquist 903's as back surrounds are already elevated and on brackets so in roughly a 15 X 35' room I'm concerned those Atmos effects may "crosstalk" with my 903's.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I would not buy a Klipsch speaker without listening to it. Also, with bouncy atmos designs you need to make sure you've got the right geometry for it to even have a chance of working as atmos should.

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
Well, the cabinets aren't the same size, they're about two inches deeper, so that's probably to keep the internal volume the same for the main front facing drivers. As far as bouncy atmos enabled speakers I don't think they're worth it. You're better off having discrete atmos speakers.

Yes I know they are deeper but height wise they're identical and those Atmos speakers cut down into the back area of the front firing Tractrix horn. Maybe no issue in the end and I am not sold on Dolby Atmos either.....they do seem to get some good reviews in this speaker though....although I have not read a ton of reviews about them and no one has really adressed if they compromise the overall 8000 acoustics that are in the RP 8000F's. Maybe it's because they don't.......not sure.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's because most sites that would review it aren't interesting in bouncy style Atmos speakers. As long as the horn is the same shape it shouldn't compromise the dispersion and sound characteristics of the design.

What are your reasons for considering upgrading? If it's just because you can get the Klipsch's now I say don't do it and wait until you can actually hear them.

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
I think it's because most sites that would review it aren't interesting in bouncy style Atmos speakers. As long as the horn is the same shape it shouldn't compromise the dispersion and sound characteristics of the design.

What are your reasons for considering upgrading? If it's just because you can get the Klipsch's now I say don't do it and wait until you can actually hear them.
My Dahlquist M-909's are still in great shape......but they are 30 years old....looking for something with a little more punch and presence. Accuracy is also important......and normally I would rule Klipsch out on that front but these seem to be getting good reviews in that dept. I've recently done some upgrading with a new Sony Master Series OLED, new Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 and my thinking is the time may be right for some new more dynamic mains.

And I know what you are saying......I'm breaking a cardinal rule by not demoing them first.....problem is none available to demo. Everyone is out of stock around me and any distance away.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, forget the bouncy house speakers. In my eyes Atmos is something you do right or you just don't do it. A properly set up Atmos system can be pretty incredible. Shortcuts and bouncy house speakers, not so much. I think the most I'd be willing to compromise would be a speaker like SVS' Prime Elevation speakers mounted high on the wall and in the most optimal spot(s).

Okay, it does look like Klipsch has their "elevation" speakers too. Here's one model.

There are others too, those were just the ones at the top of my page.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
My Dahlquist M-909's are still in great shape......but they are 30 years old....looking for something with a little more punch and presence. Accuracy is also important......and normally I would rule Klipsch out on that front but these seem to be getting good reviews in that dept. I've recently done some upgrading with a new Sony Master Series OLED, new Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 and my thinking is the time may be right for some new more dynamic mains.

And I know what you are saying......I'm breaking a cardinal rule by not demoing them first.....problem is none available to demo. Everyone is out of stock around me and any distance away.
The problem is that Klipsch can be a bit polarizing. That's why I say I wouldn't recommend buying them without hearing them. I recently demo'ed the Klipsch with several other speaker brands (Kef, Paradigm, and Focal) and can tell you that they were my least favorite of them all. I listened to parts of 4 or 5 songs and decided I had heard enough and went on to something else.

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
Wait for the next sale on JBL Studio 590s. Get the center, too. So far, everyone I have heard discuss them loves this lineup, and considering they frequently go on sale for 50%+ off... ;)
Those 590's were something I looked at hard (again nowhere to demo them near me...so same issue there with the Klipsch's) and other than the looks....and some may find them cool (I'm not bent out of shape about their appearence either way...although they are BIG) my concern with them was that they are 6 ohm speakers and while my Elite AVR SC-LX701 can drive them fine....the rest of my speaker line up are all 8 ohm speakers. Not fond of mixing and matching there......but "maybe" that shouldn't be a concern. They are less than a grand so cost wise they are more attractive. I think I saw them for $450.00 or so each....so $900.00 a pair is better than $1378.00 a pair for the right speaker.

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
The problem is that Klipsch can be a bit polarizing. That's why I say I wouldn't recommend buying them without hearing them. I recently demo'ed the Klipsch with several other speaker brands (Kef, Paradigm, and Focal) and can tell you that they were my least favorite of them all. I listened to parts of 4 or 5 songs and decided I had heard enough and went on to something else.
What Klipsch's were you listening to and what specific model on the others...if you don't mind.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Starting at Post 8 in this thread:
Danzilla and I have a brief exchange... he has owned both.
:)

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
Starting at Post 8 in this thread:
Danzilla and I have a brief exchange... he has owned both.
:)
He's owned both the 8000's and 8060's? Oooops sorry, I see you were talking about the JBLs and the Klipsch's....read the thread and thanx!

Last edited:
Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
Well this authorized Klipsch dealer does offer "free 30 day returns", I'm responsible for return shipping of course. And that price tag could be a little hefty for a pair of speakers that weighs in the neighborhood of 140 lbs. Could turn into a demo that costs $100 or more if it turns out I don't like them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those 590's were something I looked at hard (again nowhere to demo them near me...so same issue there with the Klipsch's) and other than the looks....and some may find them cool (I'm not bent out of shape about their appearence either way...although they are BIG) my concern with them was that they are 6 ohm speakers and while my Elite AVR SC-LX701 can drive them fine....the rest of my speaker line up are all 8 ohm speakers. Not fond of mixing and matching there......but "maybe" that shouldn't be a concern. They are less than a grand so cost wise they are more attractive. I think I saw them for $450.00 or so each....so $900.00 a pair is better than $1378.00 a pair for the right speaker.
The different nominal impedance ratings really mean very little (altho their overall impedance and phase angle considerations are real), no reason to avoid a speaker so the nominal rating matches. I have a set of 590/580/520C/530s and like them very much....especially at the sale prices I picked them up at!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The fact that surround speakers have a different impedance than that of the front ones shouldn't be of any concern. Go ahead if you like the 590's which are very good products and don't worry.

Ledformyhead

Ledformyhead

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to everyone for their feedback.....I know Klipsch speakers are somewhat of a divisive issue and I respect all views. For what it's worth I've decided to hold off on the 8060s that are in stock and at the very least wait on the RP 8000Fs that are not in stock. In the meantime that may give me a chance to audition them somewhere if and when they do come into stock around my area.

I can afford to wait.....there is nothing wrong with my Dahlquist M-909s ( a very underrated speaker from "back in the day"....have had them new since around 1989 or 90). Great 3 way tower with dual 8" woofers. Very smooth and with a good kick on the low end. And enclosed in actual walnut....yes real wood!

I may share some pics of them in the coming days along with some other "vintage" equipment. Don't know how much you guys are into that stuff.....so we'll see. I also have a fully functioning and kick as old Pioneer receiver. The SX-1280 at 185 watts a channel (conservative rating).....it's a beast and 2nd only to the Iconic beast that is the SX-1980. It's in beautiful shape and I run it as a seperate analog system to my mains. Great for vinyl and also cds and the tuner literally pulls everything in unlike the tuners of today.

Thanx again for your input.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with you about Klipsch's reputation and they did earn it with a lot of their speakers, but I trust @shadyJ's impressions. He's never led me wrong before and makes a point in that review to mention that the RP 8000F is not a typical Klipsch speaker and is pretty accurate without the fatigue factor.

I'd be willing to give them a shot in my system with a good return policy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis