Klipsch RP-160m placement

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
i am thinking to buy this pair of speakers as front Left and front Right. Main speakers. They are strong enouph but...

i dont have enouph space for them. My left speaker will be 10-15cm away from left wall. And 12-17cm away from fear wall. They are rear ported speakers.

my right speaker will be 12cm away from rear wall.
is my space enouph?
also my room is has bad acoustics.
my current set up is a basic bookself pair of speakers. With 5.5 woofers.

also another problem bad room acoustics. under 120hz i got awful audyssey charts, they said me i need room treatment, my walls are not symatrical, 2 big gaps with doors that cant be closed...(u can see them)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
i am thinking to buy this pair of speakers as front Left and front Right. Main speakers. They are strong enouph but...

i dont have enouph space for them. My left speaker will be 10-15cm away from left wall. And 12-17cm away from fear wall. They are rear ported speakers.

my right speaker will be 12cm away from rear wall.
is my space enouph?
also my room is has bad acoustics.
my current set up is a basic bookself pair of speakers. With 5.5 woofers.

also another problem bad room acoustics. under 120hz i got awful audyssey charts, they said me i need room treatment, my walls are not symatrical, 2 big gaps with doors that cant be closed...(u can see them)
Killbill13
First off, no room gives you perfect acoustics. It doesn't seem to matter the shape, general size, or other factors. Each room will present challenges. Your job is to make it work and sometimes that means just making it work.
Room treatments? That's a giant sinkhole for money and for the average person, not much of a return.

Before you can say whether the Klipsch RP160's are a great fit for your problem, you'd have to define what it is you find is lacking in your current setup. What are you trying to make better? What is it your existing system doesn't do well enough to suit your tastes. If you just buy them and install them, how will you know if they made anything better?

Once you establish what you'd like to fix, then it makes more sense to look at a specific speaker.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
It lucks of power, i think it lucks dynamics amd i dont know what excactly that is :)
i am puting my amplifier to 0db to netflix. Music is ok, db to -15 to -5 on Tidal. I never download movies or use blue ray disk.

it lucks of clearance i think in high volumes in music. The db are raising and i get distortion instead of power. From -10 And up i start to feel it.

it lucks of bass. Even my bass cant give real bass, i get awful audyssey charts as well. I have a subwoofer.
it would be wise if i get a system without subwoofer, it takes space, its not necessary, it would be preferable

O

Olie1

Audiophyte
Hi KBill,
I recently purchased the Klipsch RP160-M’s with an SVS 12” SB subwoofer I originally sought to play Pandora through Bluetooth. They sounded OK, but not great. But then my preamplifier broke, so I started a quest for a Bluetooth preamp.
I then discovered Tidal high resolution was much better than Pandora and Bluesound was much better than Bluetooth.
Looking at new preamplifiers I found that my system sounds even better with a preamplifier that has an 80HZ high pass filter for the Klipsch speakers. I use the subwoofer crossover for the low bass.
This sounds the best in my room. My left channel speaker has a cabinet to the left of it, so having bass management capabilities really helped me tune the system to my room.
Having said all that, I probably would have gone to floor standing speakers and moved some other things and been just as, if not happier. Price would have been about the same, but more preamplifier options if I didn’t need bass management capabilities.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Hi KBill,
I recently purchased the Klipsch RP160-M’s with an SVS 12” SB subwoofer I originally sought to play Pandora through Bluetooth. They sounded OK, but not great. But then my preamplifier broke, so I started a quest for a Bluetooth preamp.
I then discovered Tidal high resolution was much better than Pandora and Bluesound was much better than Bluetooth.
Looking at new preamplifiers I found that my system sounds even better with a preamplifier that has an 80HZ high pass filter for the Klipsch speakers. I use the subwoofer crossover for the low bass.
This sounds the best in my room. My left channel speaker has a cabinet to the left of it, so having bass management capabilities really helped me tune the system to my room.
Having said all that, I probably would have gone to floor standing speakers and moved some other things and been just as, if not happier. Price would have been about the same, but more preamplifier options if I didn’t need bass management capabilities.
Hi olie1 2.1 system you have right?
i dont know preaplifier setup, and high pass filters just crossovers.
anyway. Floorstanding spaekers i am afraid to use them with no subwoofer because, this 2 positions that i am about to place them (specially right) they produce low frequency sound cancelations. Any ideas about that?

O

Olie1

Audiophyte
Hi olie1 2.1 system you have right?
i dont know preaplifier setup, and high pass filters just crossovers.
anyway. Floorstanding spaekers i am afraid to use them with no subwoofer because, this 2 positions that i am about to place them (specially right) they produce low frequency sound cancelations. Any ideas about that?
The only way to know is try them.
I bought mine on line because I didn’t realize that a high end store actually existed in my area.
You don’t really need separate pre and power amplifiers to get decent sound. I say go for it. The Klipsch’s should be fine.
If you don’t have a local store that offers a trial pair (that model is a generation old), you can buy them in line from places that accept returns if you don’t like that.
My speakers have clearance to a bay window in the back, so I don’t have the close proximity to the wall as you have. I don’t know how close you can put them into a corner before they sound too bad. Or they might be fine.
What I discovered is that the amplification front end can make a huge difference in sound quality and imaging.
My system went from “pretty good “ to “excellent” by getting a proper setup. I imagine that it could get even better with higher end gear, but I’ve got a limited budget.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
The only way to know is try them.
I bought mine on line because I didn’t realize that a high end store actually existed in my area.
You don’t really need separate pre and power amplifiers to get decent sound. I say go for it. The Klipsch’s should be fine.
If you don’t have a local store that offers a trial pair (that model is a generation old), you can buy them in line from places that accept returns if you don’t like that.
My speakers have clearance to a bay window in the back, so I don’t have the close proximity to the wall as you have. I don’t know how close you can put them into a corner before they sound too bad. Or they might be fine.
What I discovered is that the amplification front end can make a huge difference in sound quality and imaging.
My system went from “pretty good “ to “excellent” by getting a proper setup. I imagine that it could get even better with higher end gear, but I’ve got a limited budget.
There is no shop that gives your money back, here. at least not easy.
i like klipsch and i have them in promotion also.
i am considering this also:
its an english speaker. Any ideas about this? Will it solve the bass problem better or not?
I like it its slim it fits my dimentions.
the Klipsch tower speakers (not the one i said i know)doesnt fit easy. except if i put them looking str8 from the wall without angle.
my amp is a marantz 5013, does it match good?

O

Olie1

Audiophyte
I think the 160’s would work well for you. They don’t really need a subwoofer and they’re efficient so they don’t need much power.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I think the 160’s would work well for you. They don’t really need a subwoofer and they’re efficient so they don’t need much power.
the RP-160m can fit and is a good solution. But:

i am checking the option to take Klipsch tower speakers instead of powerfull bookself Spealers. Because i am trying to get more bass. this can fit :
Or 250f
placement first, check the picture. On the left i have a 25cm space and on the right the same, closing the space of the door, for 6cm.
the floorstanding speakers will be placed left and right, from the white furniture, 10-13cm away from back wall(for both speakers).
corner wall->left speaker->white futniture->right speaker thats the order. All in same line

the left speaker will be: 5cm away from left wall. Left corner destroys the sound or not? İ have excact space not too much free space.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You have a lot to unpack here my friend. To be honest that's why I hesitated to post, lol.

As far as your Audyssey charts go, they are at best a rough idea of what's going on. A proper mic and REW can give you a much clearer picture of what's happening. I don't know what your current speakers are but they are on the small side and I wouldn't expect a whole lot below 100 Hz or so from them anyway.

Your room acoustics might not be as bad as your speaker placement. One is wide open and the other tucked into a corner with a short wall just a few centimeters from the side. I think you're okay with regard to the distance from the wall behind them tho. Do you have any other options that would get the left speaker out of that corner? Maybe angle the tv stand a little? Find a new spot or speaker stands? I think that's a good place to start and you might see some immediate improvements right there. Make sure you run room correction again every time you move something.

How are you doing the Audyssey measurements? Are you using all 8 positions? Closely following the pattern, no more than 50 cm apart from the first position? I get better results that way myself, tho ymmv.

I think you would benefit greatly from a subwoofer or 2. A good subwoofer does more than just add bass, it gives weight to the sound and does some of the heavy lifting, freeing your amp and speakers up to play a little cleaner and give you a bit more dynamic headroom. How big is the area? Not just the room, any space open to it like a hallway or another room with no door.

I haven't listened to the RP160s yet, but have seen favorable reviews and comments from a couple of our longtime resident Audioholics. I think you would be happy with them. A little subwoofage, proper placement and calibration and I think you'll have a very nice sounding system.

Last edited:
killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
As far as your Audyssey charts go, they are at best a rough idea of what's going on. A proper mic and REW can give you a much clearer picture of what's happening.
Well thats the charts, i reset the amp and i never run audyssey again. İ dont know how to set up. And mostly, it destroys the sound. İt cant fix anything. Also i have the old version, XT not XT32.
with REW i dont know how to use it and lets say i will learn how to use it, how i am gonna fix the problems?
Your room acoustics might not be as bad as your speaker placement. One is wide open and the other tucked into a corner with a short wall just a few centimeters from the side
its 20-30cm from left wall now and if i take a base with them OR my new klipsch speakers, it will go to 5cm away from the left wall. Same if i take tower speakers.
Do you have any other options that would get the left speaker out of that corner? Maybe angle the tv stand a little? Find a new spot or speaker stands? I think that's a good place to start and you might see some immediate improvements right there.
well no. they need stands anyway, they are too low. whem i decide if i am taking the klipsch i will be the right ones. İ made a fake stand with books, i am not getting any improovement in audysey. İn my ear yes its way more loud. İ have the pic if u want to see.
Make sure you run room correction again every time you move something.
audyssey is off.
How are you doing the Audyssey measurements? Are you using all 8 positions? Closely following the pattern, no more than 50 cm apart from the first position? I get better results that way myself, tho ymmv.
divorce with audyssey :cool: i advice you to the same. Nope i didnt do the 50cm rule i just placed the 3 sitting positions and 4 5 6 lityle front. Seats 7 8 impossible, wall behind the sofa

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I think you would benefit greatly from a subwoofer or 2.
İ can buy a better subwoofer but not 2. out of space. Do you remember my current one? İt was from thread is my subwoofer faulty,,,:p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
İ can buy a better subwoofer but not 2. out of space. Do you remember my current one? İt was from thread is my subwoofer faulty,,,

Small bookself speakers With 5.2” woofers. My listening distance is much for them i guess, 2.80 meters.
Sorry, I don't remember which sub you have. If you have a link to the thread I'm sure I'll remember tho.

I found a review of those speakers. I had to use Google translate but think I get the picture. It's a little rough but it looks like they measured and said that below 110 hz there isn't much to speak of for bass. I suspected as much. Your speakers just don't play very deep.

Now, your sub matches those speakers doesn't it? I think I remember you now! We've had this conversation before! You need a new sub. Period. New speakers wouldn't kill you either. I'm going to end up giving you the exact same advice all over again.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd suggest a new sub as well since you want an improvement in your bass performance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd suggest a new sub as well since you want an improvement in your bass performance.

Enjoy, lol.

(Tho you may have participated in that one too...)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well thats the charts, i reset the amp and i never run audyssey again. İ dont know how to set up. And mostly, it destroys the sound. İt cant fix anything. Also i have the old version, XT not XT32.
with REW i dont know how to use it and lets say i will learn how to use it, how i am gonna fix the problems?

its 20-30cm from left wall now and if i take a base with them OR my new klipsch speakers, it will go to 5cm away from the left wall. Same if i take tower speakers.

well no. they need stands anyway, they are too low. whem i decide if i am taking the klipsch i will be the right ones. İ made a fake stand with books, i am not getting any improovement in audysey. İn my ear yes its way more loud. İ have the pic if u want to see.

audyssey is off.

divorce with audyssey :cool: i advice you to the same. Nope i didnt do the 50cm rule i just placed the 3 sitting positions and 4 5 6 lityle front. Seats 7 8 impossible, wall behind the sofa
Are you saying you did a half assed job of measuring when you ran Audyssey, didn't like it so you gave up and got a divorce? Think about it...

I think you need to get a proper subwoofer, get it integrated starting with a proper Audyssey calibration then go from there. I can see an argument for replacing those speakers too and the RP160s are a nice way to go. They're fairly sensitive, have larger woofers and I'll bet they sound better and have more dynamic range. If it was me I'd do the sub first. Well, I take that back... I'd replace the sub and speakers both, lol.

Right now you're trying to squeeze lemon from a rock. We've been through this with your current setup for 12 pages already and have pretty much exhausted the advice given, with you digging your heels in a few times and not wanting to budge. I'm not even kidding either. This is gonna be the same thread all over again.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
A good set of bookshelves or towers might get you decent performance down to 80 Hz, or 60 Hz. To get real bass out of just a set of towers you would need to spend A LOT of money. Based on the fact that you're looking at the Klipsch RP series I'm going to guess that you are not looking to do just that.

As a minimum to improve your acoustics currently I'd suggest moving that entertainment center as far right as you can. This will give your left speaker at least a little bit of space from the wall. It still won't be ideal, but I'd take 6 or 7 inches to the side over 2.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey @killbill13, at least give us some credit for consistency! You're getting the same advice you got the first time, lol.

If you had the budget and resources you'd be a prime candidate for some SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers in white. I have them in black and they're great speakers. Pair those with a good sub and you're set.

g946UBKGW-F.jpg

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Hey @killbill13, at least give us some credit for consistency! You're getting the same advice you got the first time, lol.

If you had the budget and resources you'd be a prime candidate for some SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers in white. I have them in black and they're great speakers. Pair those with a good sub and you're set.

View attachment 34653
check the klipsch RP-160m. They have better sensitivity. also i have a promotion with the current model.
that svs speakers is double price.

or this, in higher price.But it will be in the corner with 5cm from left wall.and 12-13 from rear wall. Will it survive? Some towers do

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis