Klipsch rp-150m vs HSU ccb-8

A

ara777

Audioholic Intern
Hsu is heavily regarded by many online, but it is expensive. The Klipsch rp150 is a similar kind of speaker technically (narrow dispersion). But considering the Hsu is twice the cost, is it really that good? For movies and music? Would like an opinion from someone who has listened to both.

Also with the ccb-8 would you recommend another ccb-8 as the center or HSU's horn loaded center speaker?

Any other comparable ones to the ccb-8 and klipsch rp-150m? (Except the JBL Studio 530 as introduced by this forum and that I like too)

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Can't compare the two, as I've never heard the Klipsch but do own the CCB-8s. What might be a Hsu selling point is that the CCB-8s have the ability to project a solid stereo image/phantom center over a really wide sweet spot. In my set-up I can sit right in front of one of the speakers or on either far side of a 7-foot sofa and still hear a stereo image/phantom center that doesn't collapse to the nearest speaker to you, as it would with more conventional speakers. The stereo image remains anchored between the L/R speakers. Audioholics' review of them explores in detail the theory (time-intensity trading) and practical set-up requirements (extreme toe-in) to get this. Since I have a 2.1 system this effect means 3 or 4 people can still enjoy excellent dialogue intelligibility and stereo imaging without a center. But if you plan to invest in a 5.1 or greater system, this might not matter so much and you might save money with Klipsch.

As for overall sound quality, the CCB-8s are transparent and neutral--you'll hear whatever quality's on the source. So they're capable of expansive soundstaging and pinpoint imaging. Great for both music and movies. I re-watched T2 the other week and the soundscape was cavernous with excellent imaging, expanding beyond the speaker boundaries--with just two speakers and a sub. Good luck shopping!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Hsu speaker would be more powerful and also have a narrower dispersion down to a lower frequency than the Klipsch speaker, but it is bigger and more expensive. I doubt that anyone has ever listened to both speakers in a manner that they could be compared, however, as that would take quick A/B switching.

A

ara777

Audioholic Intern
Alright.. I will have some negotiation to do :)

Guess the best option is to have 3 ccb-8s for LCR right? Given the maximum separation I can get between the L and R would be 8.5 feet (according to a limitation in my HT area) would I be better off with just L and R? Or does the C still make sense?

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Since I typically don't have more than 4 watching a movie (I live in a townhouse), and the viewing seats are generally within my appx 7-ft wide sweet spot, I've been fine without a center. My L/R speakers are 9 ft apart. But if I were entertaining more people in a large media room and my seating layout had people spread out, a center might make more sense to provide center-image stability for more viewer/listeners. All depends on your room size, seating layout, and usual audience size during movie night.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Alright.. I will have some negotiation to do :)

Guess the best option is to have 3 ccb-8s for LCR right? Given the maximum separation I can get between the L and R would be 8.5 feet (according to a limitation in my HT area) would I be better off with just L and R? Or does the C still make sense?
How far is the main listening position from the speakers? You could probably get away without a center speaker if you use the toe-in angle suggested by Hsu.

A

ara777

Audioholic Intern
How far is the main listening position from the speakers? You could probably get away without a center speaker if you use the toe-in angle suggested by Hsu.
About 12 ft

A

ara777

Audioholic Intern
BTW the KEf 150 has a similar design. Is that a viable alternative to a ccb-8?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
BTW the KEf 150 has a similar design. Is that a viable alternative to a ccb-8?
The HSU has a larger driver, more sensitive and probably more linear (havent looked up a review of the 150, going off the 100) over frequency range. Louder and lower..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis