Klipsch RF-83 + RC-64 vs. SVS MTS-01 + MCS-01

N

NainoKami

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I am contemplating upgrading my current front/center setup from 2 x B&W 604S3 and 1 x LCR600 (rest of my setup is in the sig.), to either the Klipsch RF-83 + RC-64 or SVS MTS-01 + MCS-01, and was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the subject?

I'd be happy to hear all of your opinions, and though I know speaker selection is very subjective, it'd be great if someone who's heard both systems could enlighten me... just a bit! :D I'm based in Denmark, and it's near impossible to find a place to audition Klipsch, and COMPLETELY impossible to audition SVS.

I have read great things about both systems, but to be honest, from an esthetic standpoint, the klipsch win hands down. But when it comes to price (in Denmark) the SVS win... I have heard a lot of people praising the tweeter in the SVS as well...

Hope you can find the time to chime in! :D

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
You are comparing two totally different sounding speakers. The Klipsch are horn loaded speakers which are very efficient (100db sensitivity) vs the SVS speakers which use the Danish made ScanSpeak's AirCirc tweeter and are less sensitive (87db). In short, they will sound different. The Klipsch will play loud (hence their efficiency) and forward. The MTS speakers will have a more laid back and neutral sound (probably closer to the sound of the B&W speakers.

A few questions I have:
- What receiver will you be pairing these speakers to?
- How big is your room overall (height, width, length)?
- How far away do you sit from the main speakers?
- Are you somebody who likes to really crank their music/movies?

This will tell us more about what you are looking for in a speaker and which one may be best for your space.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Without auditioning, the best you can hope for is to flip a coin, and hope you can learn to like the speakers you get. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but that’s the reality of it.

N

NainoKami

Audioholic Intern
You are comparing two totally different sounding speakers. The Klipsch are horn loaded speakers which are very efficient (100db sensitivity) vs the SVS speakers which use the Danish made ScanSpeak's AirCirc tweeter and are less sensitive (87db). In short, they will sound different. The Klipsch will play loud (hence their efficiency) and forward. The MTS speakers will have a more laid back and neutral sound (probably closer to the sound of the B&W speakers.

A few questions I have:
- What receiver will you be pairing these speakers to?
- How big is your room overall (height, width, length)?
- How far away do you sit from the main speakers?
- Are you somebody who likes to really crank their music/movies?

This will tell us more about what you are looking for in a speaker and which one may be best for your space.
You are completely right in saying they are different... But I've had some good news today. It seems I can get the Klipsch for approximately the same price as the SVS, so it makes the decision a bit easier, should I go for them...

I am sitting about 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) from the speakers, in a room 4.3 x 4.8 x 3 meters (14 x 16 x 9 feet) ( http://dufduf.dk/images/flatspeak.jpg speakers red, couch grey. I left out the center speaker, as it's quite obvious where it goes! :D).
I am pairing them to my Denon AVR-4306.
And yes, I do like to crank it, but I also love quality sound. Ideally I would want to achieve both!

I guess what I am also asking is: Which would you prefer? Be completely subjective! :D

/Simon

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Which would I prefer? Well, I would prefer the Klipsch's for my SETs and the SVS's for HT use.

If you want a hyper revealing, accurate, squeaky clean sound, go with the SVS, but buy a bigger amp to drive them.

If you want a lively, dynamic sound, go with the Klipschs, use the Denon you currently have, and don't look back.

This is really an apples to oranges comparison. The Klipsch have a direct evolutionary link to the golden age of hi-fi prior to the development of transistor amps. They adhere to the high-efficiency approach to this day, and as a result are easy for any amp to drive, and can have a qute dynamic and lively presentation. They can also be 'shouty', with a more in-your-face presentation, a trait less pronounced when paired w/ tube amplification than w/ transistor amps. The SVS's on the other hand are the embodiment of product of the SS age: small, sealed, inefficient boxes that require tons of power to properly sing, but with ruler flat, neutral tonality otherwise. On paper, the SVS's would appear to be slightly superior, but the requirement for more power may make them ultimately more expensive.

It sounds like you are leaning toward Klipsch on aesthetic grounds anyway. Once you choose, don't second guess yourself (see CraigV's post above) and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
A

ack_bak

Audioholic
You are completely right in saying they are different... But I've had some good news today. It seems I can get the Klipsch for approximately the same price as the SVS, so it makes the decision a bit easier, should I go for them...

I am sitting about 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) from the speakers, in a room 4.3 x 4.8 x 3 meters (14 x 16 x 9 feet) ( http://dufduf.dk/images/flatspeak.jpg speakers red, couch grey. I left out the center speaker, as it's quite obvious where it goes! :D).
I am pairing them to my Denon AVR-4306.
And yes, I do like to crank it, but I also love quality sound. Ideally I would want to achieve both!

I guess what I am also asking is: Which would you prefer? Be completely subjective! :D

/Simon
Well, you have a nice receiver that should have plenty of power (and it has low distortion as well) to play the SVS speakers loud at your distance. The Klipsch will play even louder.

Personally, I prefer the sound of a B&W and SVS speaker over a Klipsch. But that is just me.

What I am a little confused about is the fact that you already have nice speakers in the B&W's. What is it about them that you either do not like or has you interested in buying other speakers?

As far as looks, the Klipsch speakers do like very nice with the grills off. But if you plan on leaving the grills on (I do with my speakers) then they both should look like black towers :)

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
FWIW – If I were choosing, I would go with the SVS. Easier on the ears.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
FWIW – If I were choosing, I would go with the SVS. Easier on the ears.
That is how I feel as well, but he already has speakers that are easy on the ears :)

Perhaps he is looking for a more forward speaker.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
That is how I feel as well, but he already has speakers that are easy on the ears :)

Perhaps he is looking for a more forward speaker.
True enough, maybe he’s just got that itch to change things up, and speakers make the biggest change in overall sound.

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
If this is mainly a HT setup i would go with the Klipsch setup. Many people beat up on klipsch and just regurgitate that they are bright. Well yes they can be brighter compared to many speakers, but they are really easy to drive and extremely dynamic which makes them an awesome match for a HT setup. RF-83's and the RC-64 are pretty awesome speakers.

N

NainoKami

Audioholic Intern
True enough, maybe he’s just got that itch to change things up, and speakers make the biggest change in overall sound.
I must confess, I do have the itch, and I have it bad! I have been happy with my B&W's but when pushed, even with a bigger amp, or with my current setup where I bi-amp them with the denon, they can sound strained. I cut them at 60 Hz, but they still can sound a bit strained. What I'm looking for is more dynamics, and I feel the Klipsch is going to give me plenty of that! But the SVS have the finesse that I'm also looking for, and for a good price... Well in fact, I feel they are both reasonably priced...

The main thing is really that I'm not satisfied with the LCR600's performance. It's in my opinion the weakest link in my current setup, and I'd really like that to change.

Things in favor of SVS:
- Silky smooth sound
- Better soundstage (I assume, though I'm not sure)
- Better power handling than the B&W's

Things in favor of Klipsch:
- Very high efficiency
- Very dynamic
- Also better power handling than the B&W's, though less important given the high efficiency
- Much nicer esthetics (without grilles, which is how I always roll :))

Am I right in thinking I will get a better soundstage with the SVS, or is it just a "different" soundstage?

This is a very hard choice for me, as I really do find both choices good, but I just can't decide! :confused:

I really do appreciate all your input, and thank you for taking the time on such a tedious subject as this... I really wish I could just audition them, preferably head to head in my own room, but that's sadly a "no go"!

P

Professor Thump

Audiophyte
Klipsch Reference Sound Signature

Klipsch's Forum has some explanations for the sound signature of Reference. I can't post the link yet but this is a start ...

forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/97917/989643.aspx#989643

This explanation may help.

P

Professor Thump

Audiophyte
If this is mainly a HT setup i would go with the Klipsch setup. Many people beat up on klipsch and just regurgitate that they are bright. Well yes they can be brighter compared to many speakers, but they are really easy to drive and extremely dynamic which makes them an awesome match for a HT setup. RF-83's and the RC-64 are pretty awesome speakers.
You will find that the latest Reference line are not as bright as say an RF-7. The design phylosophy has changed to reflect a flatter sound signature.

I believe the RF-7 was design more to be the ultimate in efficiency in its day.

N

NainoKami

Audioholic Intern
Just wanted to let you guys know, I went with SVS, and ordered the SVS AS-EQ1 as well (though that won't arrive until august).
Got a great deal on a pair of Rotel RB-1091 amps to power my mains... Sounds great so far!

What do you think?

(Pics were taken with a 16mm Fish-eye, so sorry about the perspective!) :D

Attachments

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Great choice, so how do you like them so far?
To bad your so far away from where i live im selling my MTS-01 LCR for $1200 not even 1 year old.

Hope you enjoy your SVS they are a great company and will stand behind you if need be.

Kirk

N

NainoKami

Audioholic Intern
I like them very much indeed! They are smoother at the top end than my old B&Ws, I presume because of the soft tweeter, as opposed to the aluminium dome in the B&Ws.

I can pretty much play as loud as before. I suspect I'd have been able to play much louder with the klipsch, but I don't really need it... But now I have the itch for new subs... I think I'm gonna sell my PB12-plus' ASAP, and go for a pair of PB13-Ultras... Goodbye power compression! :D

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
I like them very much indeed! They are smoother at the top end than my old B&Ws, I presume because of the soft tweeter, as opposed to the aluminium dome in the B&Ws.

I can pretty much play as loud as before. I suspect I'd have been able to play much louder with the klipsch, but I don't really need it... But now I have the itch for new subs... I think I'm gonna sell my PB12-plus' ASAP, and go for a pair of PB13-Ultras... Goodbye power compression! :D
Great glad you like them, after getting a pair of the Ultra 13 you should have enough bass:eek: 1 good thing about that is you will really be able to utilize the new sub EQ that you bought:D I plan on getting one of those also, i think i am going to build a Kappa build for my second sub though.

Congrats on the new system! Kirk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis