Klipsch RF-7 II Floorstanding Speaker First Look

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not quite there but getting a little too much, the reference line have been staying decent priced and performance in the same time. And now they seem getting away from there and steering me away from getting Klipsch even my system's been mainly RF-3II series
I dont think they went up to much Vinny but correct me if im wrong , im not sure how much the RF7II's went up but from what I saw the rest of lineup hasn't . It also appears that there trying to achieve a more refined look and sound if you will by changing the crossover points and drivers, grills and such but if they have achieved what there goals are is still left to be seen until some reviews start to surface. IMO on paper and the looks im liking what I see now I just have to hear them to make my personal evaluation ;) :)

V

VinnyF

Audiophyte
I dont think they went up to much Vinny but correct me if im wrong , im not sure how much the RF7II's went up but from what I saw the rest of lineup hasn't . It also appears that there trying to achieve a more refined look and sound if you will by changing the crossover points and drivers, grills and such but if they have achieved what there goals are is still left to be seen until some reviews start to surface. IMO on paper and the looks im liking what I see now I just have to hear them to make my personal evaluation ;) :)
the old RF-83(last gen's flagship) is around 2k MSRP, while they were comparable with the RF-7(some users prefer RF-7 with DeanG's crossover mod). Would they perform that much better over RF-83/RF-7 to make the price increase worth? I am staying conservative on this new move until people could throw out A/B comparison with these speakers(never had a chance to listen to RF-7 back then)

TheFactor

TheFactor

the old RF-83(last gen's flagship) is around 2k MSRP, while they were comparable with the RF-7(some users prefer RF-7 with DeanG's crossover mod). Would they perform that much better over RF-83/RF-7 to make the price increase worth? I am staying conservative on this new move until people could throw out A/B comparison with these speakers(never had a chance to listen to RF-7 back then)
Agreed we really cant say if the price increase is worth it until there reviewed personally and professionally. Im sure they changed the crossover for a reason and hopefully this next generation wont need any crossover mod . I personaly love the new look but thats just a matter of taste and I just hope they nailed there goal on improving SQ because even though i've never owned Klipsch speakers i've heard some and liked them and might be pulling the trigger on the RF7II , RS64II and some RF82II's for the rear stage . Hopefully i'll be able to provide my personal op in the near future for everyone .

V

VinnyF

Audiophyte
Agreed we really cant say if the price increase is worth it until there reviewed personally and professionally. Im sure they changed the crossover for a reason and hopefully this next generation wont need any crossover mod . I personaly love the new look but thats just a matter of taste and I just hope they nailed there goal on improving SQ because even though i've never owned Klipsch speakers i've heard some and liked them and might be pulling the trigger on the RF7II , RS64II and some RF82II's for the rear stage . Hopefully i'll be able to provide my personal op in the near future for everyone .
I think the major drawback to me is the grill not covering whole speaker(personal preference) and price hike. Klipsch's reference line has always been comparing against B&W's lower lines(600s/CM series) for the same prices. That was one major reason why I picked klipsch for its value back in the days and now it seems somewhat disappointing(maybe more appealing to some people who are willing to spend more money but not getting THX series)

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
I had a chance to listen to a pair of RF-82 II speakers today. Bear in mind this is the first pair of Klipsch I have ever really taken the time to listen to. I found them to be very bright. Something I was not used to. The sound stage was very wide and as I sat there in the dark listening to them I found them to be overall pleasing. I think they would be ideal for large rooms.

The speakers were well made and the fit and finish was extremely good. I'd like to see more finishes offered than black ash or cherry. I think they would look stunning in piano gloss black, but that would obviously drive up the price a bit.

TheFactor

TheFactor

I had a chance to listen to a pair of RF-82 II speakers today. Bear in mind this is the first pair of Klipsch I have ever really taken the time to listen to. I found them to be very bright. Something I was not used to. The sound stage was very wide and as I sat there in the dark listening to them I found them to be overall pleasing. I think they would be ideal for large rooms.

The speakers were well made and the fit and finish was extremely good. I'd like to see more finishes offered than black ash or cherry. I think they would look stunning in piano gloss black, but that would obviously drive up the price a bit.
If you get a chance demo some 7II's I think you will be very impressed there very smooth and not to bright .

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
If you get a chance demo some 7II's I think you will be very impressed there very smooth and not to bright .
I shall do that if I have the chance. My fear is I would like them too much and try to justify buying them even though they are out of my price range. :p

TheFactor

TheFactor

I shall do that if I have the chance. My fear is I would like them too much and try to justify buying them even though they are out of my price range. :p
No worries they were out of my price range to and was hoping I wouldnt like them but after side by side demos I had to have them so I know what you mean. Maybe you better not listen to them lol :eek: :D

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
No worries they were out of my price range to and was hoping I wouldnt like them but after side by side demos I had to have them so I know what you mean. Maybe you better not listen to them lol :eek: :D
:p I'm game...I will just leave my debit card at home! :D

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
I just scrolled through your pictures. Very impressive!

Which Paradigm towers were those that you had before and why did you switch to the Klipsch?

When finished, my room will be 13 x 18.6 with an 8' ceiling so not real large. I plan on doing a 7.2 system. I think maybe the RF-7 IIs might be a bit overkill...considering I don't like to listen at earth shaking volumes.

Thoughts?

TheFactor

TheFactor

I just scrolled through your pictures. Very impressive!

Which Paradigm towers were those that you had before and why did you switch to the Klipsch?

When finished, my room will be 13 x 18.6 with an 8' ceiling so not real large. I plan on doing a 7.2 system. I think maybe the RF-7 IIs might be a bit overkill...considering I don't like to listen at earth shaking volumes.

Thoughts?
Thanks much appreciated :) I switched from my Paradigm studio 60's and 690 center because I was board with them :eek: and looking for a different flavor of sound and these Klipsch gave me that and more im very happy with them and glad I made the swtich . I've found that the Digms sounded good with just about everything and my Klipsch are are a little more critical as far as it has to be a good source but when it is there jaw dropping and im very glad I made the switch even though the Paradigms were a great speaker . As far as over kill with the area your working with I say you can never have to much speaker or power I always try to get the best I can when I can . These 7's sound just as good and detailed at lower volumes that they do at higher volumes thats one of the things I really like about them . Im not saying you wouldnt be happy with 82II's but I know you'd be happier with the 7's . Just get what you can afford and enjoy them there both great speakers imo :)

B

Bass Bum

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the insight. It gives me something to think about when buying time comes in the spring or summer.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Thanks for the insight. It gives me something to think about when buying time comes in the spring or summer.
Your very welcome and its just one of many opinions im sure ;) :)

gperez31

Audiophyte
rf7 ii

hi .the ones i have at home are the rf35. 2 in the front and two at the rear, rt10 d sub from klipsch and a rf3 for a center. my livingroom is like 13 by 18 and i want to make it a 7.1 . do you think the rf7 are a little too much? thanks!!

TheFactor

TheFactor

hi .the ones i have at home are the rf35. 2 in the front and two at the rear, rt10 d sub from klipsch and a rf3 for a center. my livingroom is like 13 by 18 and i want to make it a 7.1 . do you think the rf7 are a little too much? thanks!!
Never to much you'll love them and I know I love the heck out of mine .

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
BUMP!!! Anyone demo these babies yet ?
I've demoed them, and all I can say is AMAZING!!! I demoed them with a Marantz SR7005 receiver.

The other brand I demoed was the Studio 100's by Paradigm with the same receiver.

The comparison was night and day. The Klipsch sounded so much better that it it didn't even seem like a fair battle.

I have the entire Reference series on order, pics coming soon!

I ordered the following.

Two - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75773.0.0.0/3688/_/RF-7_II_Floorstanding_Speaker

One - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75855.0.0.0/3689/_/RC-64_II_Center_Speaker

Two - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.58803.0.0.0/1011856/_/RS-62_II_Surround_Speaker

Two - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75780.0.0.0/1000189/_/CDT-5650-C_In-Ceiling_Speaker

TheFactor

TheFactor

I've demoed them, and all I can say is AMAZING!!! I demoed them with a Marantz SR7005 receiver.

The other brand I demoed was the Studio 100's by Paradigm with the same receiver.

The comparison was night and day. The Klipsch sounded so much better that it it didn't even seem like a fair battle.

I have the entire Reference series on order, pics coming soon!

I ordered the following.

Two - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75773.0.0.0/3688/_/RF-7_II_Floorstanding_Speaker

One - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75855.0.0.0/3689/_/RC-64_II_Center_Speaker

Two - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.58803.0.0.0/1011856/_/RS-62_II_Surround_Speaker

Two - http://www.klipsch.com/product/65527.75780.0.0.0/1000189/_/CDT-5650-C_In-Ceiling_Speaker
Great choices your going to love them !!! I couldnt be happier with my setup and its one of my best upgrades to date !!! Congrats man !!!!!!!!!!!! RF7 II & 64 II FTW: )

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis