Klipsch (Reference Premiere Series) RP-160M Monitor Speaker Overview

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
what problems do the 685s2 have??
The response of the tweeter is pretty rocky above 2 kHz. There is an inordinate amount of energy centered around 6 kHz off-axis. I would expect these speakers to be somewhat sibilant in normal rooms. Also, the impedance dips below 4 ohms for a big swath of heavily used frequency range.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
@Shuto The Rythmik LV12R is $549 shipped not $600 like in the excellent linked article. In Texas only there's sales tax charged but shipping is free. I have 2 myself and in that sized space one would work well for both music and movies. The L12 is the sealed version but the ported works very well with music with the added benefit of the higher output at and around it's port tune frequency. The Rythmik has 3 separate extension settings on the plate amp as well.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

Last edited:
B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
what problems do the 685s2 have??
Well designed speakers that sound good to most people have neutral, accurate on and off axis response. Most B&W(all?) speakers measure as though a 9 year old designed them. IMO, its a company that relies on their "audiophile" reputation to sell overpriced, horribly performing speakers. I'd take a $300 pair of Ascends with a good pair of subs over any speaker B&W makes, even if they were given to me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis