Klipsch R-112SW Problems, Power but no sound.

C

Chris Taylor

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have two Klipsch R-112SW subwoofers connected to a Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. I just noticed today one of them isn't firing at all. I've checked all settings and cables. I have switch cables over to the other sub and everything works fine, the sub channel is working fine, so I have isolated it to being a problem with the subwoofer itself.

I am getting power to the SUB as the LED light is green but there is no sound whatsoever. I'm guessing it's not a fuse issue or I wouldn't even be getting the green LED to come on? Should I just open it up and see if any wires have come loose?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I assume this is with the sub in a normal "on" position rather than "auto-on"? Wouldn't hurt to look for something obvious/simple altho if still within warranty I'd suppose there is some risk in voiding it if something stupid should happen while you're opening things up.... Unlikely the driver is bad, much more likely you've had an amp component failure.

C

Chris Taylor

Audiophyte
Yes it’s set to the on position. I’ve hooked the other working sub up to the channel the non working sub is on and everything works just fine which leads me to believe it’s the subwoofer. I’ll double check my settings again but other then that I’m at a loss.

It’s no longer under warranty.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious if you can now remember any odd popping sounds or volume issues before it went out? Sometimes you get those as warning signs when an amp is failing. You could test the driver with a battery once you open it up but you probably would know if you did something to damage the driver. Failures happen far too often with plate amps IMO/IME and repair can be expensive compared to the value of the amp/sub. You could add an external amp or try and find a replacement plate amp altho the exact size for the cutout may be an issue. Good luck.

C

Chris Taylor

Audiophyte
That’s what I am afraid of. I never noticed any loud popping or anything of that nature. I do notice a slight buzz and when unplugging and plugging in the jack in the back I do get some noise nd buzzing but that’s it. Thanks for your input!

R

Riaan H

Audiophyte
Hi Chris
I also sit with the same problem on thr
R-112 SW.
Sub is on(Green Led) but no sound ....
Did you manage to sort yours out?

C

Chris Taylor

Audiophyte
Luckily I purchased mine from crutchfield and it was a week from being out of warranty. They said it sounded like the amp blew on it and they sent me a new one at no charge. After doing some searching this seems to be a fairly common problem with Klipsch powered subs.

R

Riaan H

Audiophyte
Thanks for letting know. How do you check if it is still under warranty. I bought mine from Sounds Great Centurion?

C

Chris Taylor

Audiophyte
2 years on all electronics, I believe driver and cabinet is 5 years.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Luckily I purchased mine from crutchfield and it was a week from being out of warranty. They said it sounded like the amp blew on it and they sent me a new one at no charge. After doing some searching this seems to be a fairly common problem with Klipsch powered subs.
Wow, not good for Klipsch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis