Klipsch Quartet worth buying?

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern
I’m going to look at a pair of Klipsch Quartets tomorrow. Appear to be from 1993 in great shape. Guy says bottom line is $500.

Any opinion on if this speaker of this age is worth giving a shot?

Here is listing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why is the front of one of the speakers not shown without grill (on the left) is my first thought but hopefully during your look and audition you'll get a better idea than the pics alone provide .... might look around a site that specializes in such like the Klipsch Audio Community forums as far as fair pricing goes. Whether you'd like the speakers or not, who knows?

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern
To put in context, weighing getting the Quartets vs maybe buying a new pair of Tekton Lore, or pair of Zu Dirty Weekend.

obviouslyprice diffs, but wonder how might compare if even possible to compare any of these

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subjective taste in speaker can best be answered by yourself hopefully with actual auditions in the room you're going to use them in. Tekton nor Zu appeals to me particularly.

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern
Why is the front of one of the speakers not shown without grill (on the left) is my first thought but hopefully during your look and audition you'll get a better idea than the pics alone provide .... might look around a site that specializes in such like the Klipsch Audio Community forums as far as fair pricing goes. Whether you'd like the speakers or not, who knows?
I’d imagine he did that just for comparison. I’ll def look for any issues when I go to look. Going to take my own amps and source to audition them

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern
Right now I think I’m just feeling like hoarding speakers to determine what I like. Pretty new to this hobby

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right now I think I’m just feeling like hoarding speakers to determine what I like. Pretty new to this hobby
LOL oh none of us have ever done anything like that. My philosophy is there's always a room in the house that could use a system eventually.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
ROFL story of my life.

IMO pass on those speakers...he is asking too much.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I’ve been collecting Klipsch for 30 plus years
The 500 price tag is the high end of prices
If they both look good and sound good then they are worth the price. Hopefully they have had the crossovers updated, even better. You can do that as well. You can take them to a hole new level with bob’s up graded parts. And placement is one of the most important thing with these. They can have tons of bass if you place them in or near corners.. one thing for sure. You dont need a ton of power to sound great. And if you don’t over power them like some young bass heads would do, you will be able to pass them down to your kids or grandchildren.
The upgrades are endless for them. You can soften the tweeters or make them brighter. They have some great midrange sound, that’s where most of the music is at anyway
Good luck and try to talk him down any little bit if possible, if not, your still doing ok
I’ve had many many sets of Klipsch speakers, well over 200 pairs. And remember, they are hand made in the USA and with real wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern
Well decided not to go look at them. 45 min drive just to go look, and sounds like maybe I could do better for the price anyway. He says $500 his rock bottom... maybe if I could have got for $400 little more tempting. Oh well, thanks for feedback all.

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern
Well I lied, couldn’t help myself and got them. They sound and look great, I’d call them near mint, only 1 small blemish.

Attachments

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Just found a set for $450, how do you like them? Thinking they'd be good for a basic stereo for pops with a yamaha SA-301 amp. Would use for hooking up his alexa to a echo link for music, and optical for t.v. so curious how the bottom end output is?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just found a set for $450, how do you like them? Thinking they'd be good for a basic stereo for pops with a yamaha SA-301 amp. Would use for hooking up his alexa to a echo link for music, and optical for t.v. so curious how the bottom end output is?

That would be a nice system. The yamaha's eq capabilities will prove quite handy with getting the best from the old Quartets.

The bottom end is dependent on proximity to walls/corners, and they can be placed closer to walls than typical speakers. Extension down low should be solid to 50 Hz or lower. That should be satisfying for most music, if short of full range.

The treble and loudness controls (the loudness attenuates the mids right in the middle of the mid horn's band) can be used to achieve the proper tonal balance.

J

jalbert300

Audioholic Intern

Hi, just saw this, I'm still on the fence with the Quartets I purchased, one day I think their great and the next I think their junk, lol

The bottom end is decent, but definitely placement sensitive, I like to keep mine relatively close to wall to enhance the bass.

All in all I think they are good speakers, but I feel they are quite sensitive to placement, so takes a bit of effort.

My biggest gripes are just overall size and weight, and the oak color of mine I'm not to crazy about, and the fact they are so low to ground. most of time I keep a 3/4 inch stair tread under front to angle them up a little.

Anyhow just thought I'd give my impression after getting them. If I had to do over I'd probably go for something different. I'm a actually thinking of selling mine and getting a pair of Tekton Lores.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis