Klipsch LCR need advice

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I'm new to this but I've been reading a lot from here and absorbing all the info. I recently bought a house and it came with the 5 Bose Acoustimass cube speakers without the bass module. From what I've gathered, they are pretty terrible. I am currently running them through an old 5.1 denon receiver with a Bic Acoustech PL-200 sub. I would love to slowly upgrade my system to something better. I'm thinking about replacing my LCR first and keeping the Acoustimass for now for height speakers.

I'm currently looking at the Klipsch RC-64 and RC-7. Any thoughts on these? Should I go with something else at the same price point thats better than the Klipsch? Or is there something out there that is similar for less money?

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If Possible you need to get out and Audition speakers from Big Box stores to Audio Boutiques. Yes you can get advise on these Forums (some good some bad). But only you can determine what sounds good to you. Klipsch has its own Unique Sound. Take Notes so your remember. Bring your own Music. Make it Fun.

SVS
Ascend Acoustics
Monitor Audio
Paradigm

Last edited:
afford-hifi

afford-hifi

Junior Audioholic
Completely agree with mazersteven. You can ask this question of 100 different people in this great hobby of ours and chances are you will receive somewhere around 60 different answers.

It is all about personal preference. Go to big box stores and listen. Reach out to friends and check out their equipment. Listen to as many speakers as necessary until you find a speaker that sounds "natural" to you.

James

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Those are both center channel speakers, I believe. You really want to replace the front stage all at the same time - are there other speakers from Klipsch that you are considering for L/R? You should also budget a sub since it doesn’t sound like you have one today.

Having said that, are you dissatisfied with what you’re actually hearing out of your Bose setup? Or are you just reading forums that bash the brand? Bose gets a lot of knocks here, but as you say, it came with the house so you already have it installed, and plenty of people are very happy with what Bose puts out. At a minimum, I wouldn’t rush out and buy something right away. Audition stuff at your current budget and then listen to stuff at a moderately higher price point. Rather than buying something that you can afford today, you may be fine living with the Bose setup while saving for your dream system. In addition to the Magnolias and boutique stores out there, a few internet direct speaker companies offer in-home trial periods with free two-way shipping, so you can really audition a few things (Aperion and I believe Ascend are two good examples)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey guys,
I'm new to this but I've been reading a lot from here and absorbing all the info. I recently bought a house and it came with the 5 Bose Acoustimass cube speakers without the bass module. From what I've gathered, they are pretty terrible. I am currently running them through an old 5.1 denon receiver with a Bic Acoustech PL-200 sub. I would love to slowly upgrade my system to something better. I'm thinking about replacing my LCR first and keeping the Acoustimass for now for height speakers.

I'm currently looking at the Klipsch RC-64 and RC-7. Any thoughts on these? Should I go with something else at the same price point thats better than the Klipsch? Or is there something out there that is similar for less money?

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.
Those speakers are fine if you need something that can get really loud. If you don't need tremendous loudness, you can get good speakers for less money. How far will you be seated from the speakers? How loud do you like to listen?

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the response! The bose is okay for now while I keep searching. It is a bit hard trying to audition speakers as the only place available here is Magnolia.

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Those are both center channel speakers, I believe. You really want to replace the front stage all at the same time - are there other speakers from Klipsch that you are considering for L/R? You should also budget a sub since it doesn’t sound like you have one today.

Having said that, are you dissatisfied with what you’re actually hearing out of your Bose setup? Or are you just reading forums that bash the brand? Bose gets a lot of knocks here, but as you say, it came with the house so you already have it installed, and plenty of people are very happy with what Bose puts out. At a minimum, I wouldn’t rush out and buy something right away. Audition stuff at your current budget and then listen to stuff at a moderately higher price point. Rather than buying something that you can afford today, you may be fine living with the Bose setup while saving for your dream system. In addition to the Magnolias and boutique stores out there, a few internet direct speaker companies offer in-home trial periods with free two-way shipping, so you can really audition a few things (Aperion and I believe Ascend are two good examples)
Sorry I meant the RC-64 iii and the RF-7 iii. For the sub I'm currently using is the Bic Acoustech PB-200. The bose speakers are ok but definitely feel like something is missing. I do not have the bass module for the bose or the amp it comes with. I'm left with just the speakers that i run through an old 5.1 denon receiver that my brother lent me. I am auditioning speakers but mainly through Magnolia since there arent a lot of companies here with a showroom.

What speaker should I replace first? I'm thinking the center channel as we watch around 90% movies and listen about 10% music.

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Sorry I meant the RC-64 iii and the RF-7 iii. For the sub I'm currently using is the Bic Acoustech PB-200. The bose speakers are ok but definitely feel like something is missing. I do not have the bass module for the bose or the amp it comes with. I'm left with just the speakers that i run through an old 5.1 denon receiver that my brother lent me. I am auditioning speakers but mainly through Magnolia since there arent a lot of companies here with a showroom.

What speaker should I replace first? I'm thinking the center channel as we watch around 90% movies and listen about 10% music.
Or should I just wait and replace the front stage all at once?

Will replacing the receiver right away make a lot of difference?

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Those speakers are fine if you need something that can get really loud. If you don't need tremendous loudness, you can get good speakers for less money. How far will you be seated from the speakers? How loud do you like to listen?
We sit about 12-15 feet away from the TV. The room is fairly large as it opens to the kitchen. The room is about 40' x 18'.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I would be okay with the Klipsch replacing the Bose, especially if it's mostly a HT/movie usage, but there are speakers I like better for music.

Magnolia...at least here Martin Logan is a good option that you can hear....the ML40 and ML60 are both good choices...with subs, I actually prefer the smaller ML 40. Depending on how loud you like it...the ML60 might be a better choice sitting the distance you are.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JMO but you should replace the Front 3 all together (LCR).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't really help out with speaker suggestions except to listen to as many as you can before buying. I'm not a Klipsch fan particularly but from my understanding their RP series are pretty nice and should be available at BB/Magnolia. Some internet direct companies offer free round trip in home trials (SVS, RSL off the top of my head). If you do get a center first for budget reasons, just make sure you can get matching speakers to complete LCR set later....ideally three identical speakers if you can manage.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Would love to hear what you think of those. I balked at a near new setup of those speakers locally last year and wish I had pulled the trigger as the price was very good (but still expensive for me)

P

Prodigy

Enthusiast
Would love to hear what you think of those. I balked at a near new setup of those speakers locally last year and wish I had pulled the trigger as the price was very good (but still expensive for me)
It sounded great for my novice ears. I listened to Monitor Audio Silver, SVS Ultra, B&W 700 series, Def Tech BP9080x, ML 60xti, Revel F208, Kef Q950, Dali Opticon 8, Tannoy DC6, Paradigm 95F. I love how Revel sounded but it was out of my price range. The Revel just produces a more immersive sound for me overall but the Klipsch wasn't too far off. Rf-7s weren't bright for me as others say. The SQ was definitely noticably better for me compared to Klipsch Reference Premier line. It was very close between the Monitor Audio Silver 500, RF-7 iii and Paradigm 95F. The Silver 500 and 95F for me sounded better for music but it sounded like something was missing when it comes to movies. The RF-7s sounded deeper, full and more immersive. The RC-64 is amazing, I love the clarity it puts out. I never had a problem hearing what the dialogue was even when there were crashes all over scene on the demo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis