Klipsch Heresy question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
In a small bedroom I currently have Klipsch KG-4's in my 5.2.2 system. I am looking to upgrade to Heresies. I understand that they are not necessarily great for bass. How do they compare bass-wise to the KG-4's? (KG-4 are 2 way, two 8" woofers with 12" passive radiator) I have never heard Heresy, but I would easily assume that they would kick the crap out of the KG-4's in most every other way, maybe even bass. The rest of the system is an 80 wpc Yamaha receiver, 2 Yamaha 8" powered subs, but one of them has two 8" drivers, so sort of like three 8" subwoofers. Center is a Klipsch C-20, surrounds and heights are suped-up Minimus 7's.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am going to look at a pair of pristine 1985 Heresys. So Mids better than KG4, Highs about the same? Low freq, not as good as KG4. If I get the Heresys, replace my Yamaha sub with the one 8 with a 10 or 12" sub, keep the dual 8" sub hooked up, possible vast improvement?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Ok, so I did it. I found an unreal deal that no way was I going to pass on. I bought walnut Heresy III's of $975. Yep. The seller upgraded to Cornwalls, so he let these go. After a 180 mile round trip yesterday, I brought them home.
Also arriving on Wednesday this week is a Klipsch Academy center speaker. I understand these were only built for a few years in the early 90's, so more than likely, I will buy Crites' crossover upgrade kit. It is only $39. Would it be worth my while to get a titanium tweeter diaphragm? I am not super familiar with the Academy so maybe it already has that.
Oh and btw, these HIII's have more low end than I was expecting.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In a small bedroom I currently have Klipsch KG-4's in my 5.2.2 system. I am looking to upgrade to Heresies. I understand that they are not necessarily great for bass. How do they compare bass-wise to the KG-4's? (KG-4 are 2 way, two 8" woofers with 12" passive radiator) I have never heard Heresy, but I would easily assume that they would kick the crap out of the KG-4's in most every other way, maybe even bass. The rest of the system is an 80 wpc Yamaha receiver, 2 Yamaha 8" powered subs, but one of them has two 8" drivers, so sort of like three 8" subwoofers. Center is a Klipsch C-20, surrounds and heights are suped-up Minimus 7's.
Ok, so I did it. I found an unreal deal that no way was I going to pass on. I bought walnut Heresy III's of $975. Yep. The seller upgraded to Cornwalls, so he let these go. After a 180 mile round trip yesterday, I brought them home.
Also arriving on Wednesday this week is a Klipsch Academy center speaker. I understand these were only built for a few years in the early 90's, so more than likely, I will buy Crites' crossover upgrade kit. It is only $39. Would it be worth my while to get a titanium tweeter diaphragm? I am not super familiar with the Academy so maybe it already has that.
Oh and btw, these HIII's have more low end than I was expecting.
These have a tight dispersion pattern because of the horns and the Heresy is not made for a small room, especially at high SPL.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
These have a tight dispersion pattern because of the horns and the Heresy is not made for a small room, especially at high SPL.
Sounds good in there though!! Waaay better than the KG4's. Plus, I don't need to change my subs at all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds good in there though!! Waaay better than the KG4's. Plus, I don't need to change my subs at all.
I listened to some HIII's earlier this year...pretty impressive!
As long as you like the sound, that is what matters and even when not in their optimal environment a great speakers is still a great speaker...however, if you end up installing sound in a larger room, you should look at moving the HIII's into the larger room and buy new bedroom speakers. highfigh has spent decades in the business and isn't just tossing out random thoughts!

Congrats on getting such a killer deal on a great speaker!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I absolutely appreciate folks' input, especially those who know more than me! In my living room, I have upgraded Forte' II's. So, I have probably all the speakers I will need for the hopefully 25 years. Especially now that the Academy is on the way. I ordered the parts from Crites for that now. He ships lightning-fast, so I will have the parts the same day the speaker arrives. Oh, and thx Kurt for the congrats. I am obviously pretty giddy about that.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Also arriving on Wednesday this week is a Klipsch Academy center speaker. I understand these were only built for a few years in the early 90's, so more than likely, I will buy Crites' crossover upgrade kit. It is only $39. Would it be worth my while to get a titanium tweeter diaphragm?
I am not knowledgeable about Klipsch speakers/upgrades, but as a general rule, I would be a little worried if you are changing the tweeter in a significant way without adapting the crossover design to accommodate that alteration. I'm sure there are Klipsch fan forums that live and breathe this stuff (upgrades and mods)!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Crites has all that figured out. I am no genius, but I can solder and follow directions, etc. Kind of like Turbo Tax..... just go through the steps. ha. I did my Forte' II's and holy buckets, do they sound great.
btw, when I got home with the HIII's, I plugged them into my living room system (Yamaha RX-A1060) first just to try them. Sounded like I expected.... Beyond great! I listened to T-Bone Burnett's "Criminal Under My Own Hat" , Bob Dylan's "Oh, Mercy" and Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust". Then when I re-plugged in my FII's, I thought I should compare with the same music fresh in my memory. The verdict is that they are damn close. Midrange with the HIII are freakishly great, but the upgraded FII's not far behind at all. Highs the same and of course better low end on the FII, but everyone knows that. This is what I determined. I could be wrong. But if I was blindfolded, the only way to for sure I could tell which was which was that the FII's have the edge in low freqs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can’t believe 8” Yamaha subs can offer anything. I would guess the dynamic range of those heresy’s would be far and beyond at any spirited level at all.
FWIW, I do actually have an 8” Yamaha sub in one of my systems and it’s ok for its size but it’s not very dynamic beyond the capabilities of the BS speakers it’s paired with.
Sorry, I’m that guy

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It is one 8 and one dual 8 in an about 10' by 12' room. So far, it seems like it cuts the mustard.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is one 8 and one dual 8 in an about 10' by 12' room. So far, it seems like it cuts the mustard.
Hey, if it works for! I just was surprised is all.
Also, fwiw the “dual 8” I believe is just a passive radiator. It basically acts almost exactly like a port on a ported sub. Not really a dual sub.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It has a port between the drivers. Never heard of a port and passive radiator on a speaker. The PR wouldn't work would it? Plus, each cone looks identical. Pretty sure they are both identical drivers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It has a port between the drivers. Never heard of a port and passive radiator on a speaker. The PR wouldn't work would it? Plus, each cone looks identical. Pretty sure they are both identical drivers.
Interesting indeed! What’s the model? If you don’t mind. Apparently I’ve never heard of that one.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I sold the Yamaha subs to Midwest Speaker Repair. I was hoping to bring one home but they had none in stock. Midwest Speaker is huge in the Twin Cities for buying and selling used speakers. Anyway, I went on Amazon and bought a 10" Klipsch sub. Now yer talkin'. Or I'm talkin' I guess. Pretty sure it will be quite awesome in the little room. By the end of the week, I'll have two pretty much primo systems.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My memory is not so good these days, but you said twin cites. Is that like Mpls? Tlsguy and my self are in mn.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis