Klipsch for music and Def Tech for HT?

V

ventwood0

Banned
I have often heard people telling me that Klipsch speakers sound best when playing back music and Definitive Technologies as home theater........ is this true?

V

ventwood0

Banned
But could someone please let me know if this is true? I would not like to get embarassed in front of "people" if I ever say this and it turns out that its not true.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
ventwood0 said:
But could someone please let me know if this is true? I would not like to get embarassed in front of "people" if I ever say this and it turns out that its not true.
It's not true. A good speaker will preform equally well for music and movies, and in general it is not brand specific. Note, audio reproduction is a controversial topic, so others may argue against my opinion as stated above.

Nick

V

ventwood0

Banned
I'd like you to leave my threads alone if you think im a troll. And who calls anyone trolls these days. This is the first forum i've been in where people have actually called each other trolls.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think FarOff is quite "far off". I think he's more of a troll (3 posts...).

As for your question, Nick250 is correct. This is a matter of opinion only. And as far as Klilpsch goes, they are not very accurate speakers. I do not think they would be best for music, or anything really.

V

ventwood0

Banned
jaxvon said:

As for your question, Nick250 is correct. This is a matter of opinion only. And as far as Klilpsch goes, they are not very accurate speakers. I do not think they would be best for music, or anything really.
Ok, whatever

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I personally wouldn't pick either of those brands for either purpose, but that's just me. I'll add my agreement to the statement that a good speaker is a good speaker, period. If a speaker is only good for HT and won't do music, avoid that one. Ditto for speakers good only for one genre (unless your musical tastes are extremely limited).

I'd say look for something your amp can easily drive (ie decent sensitivity and no goofy impedance curves). Look for good bandwidth, frequency response & power handling (ie full range response ranging from reasonable low bass up thru the treble, even response with no large irregularities, & the ability to absorb as much power as you're likely to need). Start with resonably sized speakers; with very few exceptions, the really tiny micro sub/sat systems tend to have very limited dynamics and a pronounced "hole" between the upper bass and midrange. Such systems will often sound "thin."

As a general rule, bass can be achieved thru either displacement or high power (or both, of course). A smallish speaker can give decent bass but usually only with a lot of power (think the Sunfire cube subs). A large sub can generate a lot of bass with less power. But don't buy a "pet coffin"- a large, undamped & flimsy box will give you boomy sound and make you miserable. Quality over quantity at all times!

When shopping, consider how many speakers you need. If you want a 5.1 (6.1 or 7.1) rig, be prepared to spread that money over all the speakers you need. None are 'unimportant'. This is doubly true of the front three- they need to be the best you can afford & they need to be voice matched. Ideally the rears should be matched, too, but this isn't as critical as the voicing of the front three.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, Ventwood, and work from the premise that you're sincere & on-the-level. There aren't any shortcuts to doing the homework and learning about this stuff as you go. Well, in a way there is a shortcut, and you found it- it's places like this. Do yourself a favor and immerse yourself in the material. Most of your questions have been asked & answered many times in these pages. There's a daunting amount to learn, but as you read you will learn. Eventually this will all make sense.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but if you're only looking for the appearance of knowledge, this isn't going to be a profitable exchange for anyone. Read reviews of the speakers you're interested in, both consumer (eg Audioreview) and pro reviews (eg TAS, Stereophile). Then listen for yourself. Mass market electronics like Klipsch & Def Tech are easy to find in most cities, as are brands like Sony & Yamaha.:)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
jaxvon said:

No, hes a troll. Read his posts. He started a new thread on a generic topic to invoke pointless discussion which turns back the progress of time.

Ventwood0, I hope you're banned.

SheepStar

F

faroff

Audiophyte
jaxvon said:

Read the other threads.....you will find he is a troll....

V

ventwood0

Banned
faroff said:
Read the other threads.....you will find he is a troll....
I really dont appreciate that. You call me a "troll" becaue I ask too many questions...... is that it? Because i was under the impression that a forum is a place to go when you have a question. I was just trying to get a through grasp on this topic when suddenly, you guys come out and start calling me a "troll"

D

dan711

Audioholic Intern
ventwood0 said:
I really dont appreciate that. You call me a "troll" becaue I ask too many questions...... is that it? Because i was under the impression that a forum is a place to go when you have a question. I was just trying to get a through grasp on this topic when suddenly, you guys come out and start calling me a "troll"

I have questions as well. I usually just do searches to find my answers. Its rare that you can't find an answer to a question. Someone at sometime it seems has brought up the question you seek an answer to. You don't have to start a hundred different threads asking a hundred different questions.

M

myhdht

Audiophyte
Klipsch

I prefer the Klipsch speakers,for ALL even gaming,they sound gr8!!!!!!!!!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I love my Def Tech system for HT. I would not recommend Klipsch to anyone for any application. I find them painfully bright, harsh, and metallic.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ahhh

I prefer the Klipsch speakers,for ALL even gaming,they sound gr8!!!!!!!!!
stop pimping your Klipsch! Furthermore, don't post in threads that where started by trolls and have since been banned. You have 3 post which state nothing more then, I love klipsch.

Last edited:
Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
I demoed the largest bookshelf that BB carries from Def tech. and the smallest tower..Non demanding music, they played great at low voluems. At high voluems they did ok..but for demanding music, loud rock or fast trance..they struggled at lot.

Klipsch rb61 wasnt much different but they had overall better clarity. The klipsch towers were really good though. good dynamics, wide soundstage and just really great clarity.

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
I will not comment on klipsch as I think it is unfair to judge speakers on a short audition in a less then ideal listening room.

I bought my first set of deftech bipolars 8 years ago. I thought at the time they were very good speakers. I auditioned some other well known, highly regarded speakers. I just liked the dt's the best. I have read several comments on message boards over the last few years that suggest dt's suck for music. I had convinced myself that they must be right. I decided it was time to listen to as many speakers in a set pricerange ($1,500-$3,000 per pair) as I could. I listened to; psb, paradigm, vandersteen, bostonnht and some others as well. I liked all of them to some degree, some more than others. I then went to hear some dt mythos figuring non bipolars would be better for music. I thought they sounded very good, like alot of the other brands mentioned. In another room there was a set of 7001sc's hooked up tp a mcintosh amp. long story a little shorter, I have 7001sc's in my living room right now with a mcintosh coming next week. I listen to more music than ht btw.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I never thought I would see these ventwood threads again, thanks for reviving the memories, oh the memories we have of the almighty ventwood.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis