T

timmcleod

Audiophyte
completing home theater set-up.
a/v. have focused on denon 3805 and yamaha 2500. both have favorable review at this site. anyone with real world experience ? feedback ?
speakers-Klipsch f-3 system(f3s in front, c3 center and s3s for surround) appear a good buy . anyone with experience with these ? any comments on these or alternatives ?
also, is sensitivity the key # to look at when valuing a speaker ?
thanks
happy holidays
tim

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
timmcleod said:
completing home theater set-up.
a/v. have focused on denon 3805 and yamaha 2500. both have favorable review at this site. anyone with real world experience ? feedback ?
speakers-Klipsch f-3 system(f3s in front, c3 center and s3s for surround) appear a good buy . anyone with experience with these ? any comments on these or alternatives ?
also, is sensitivity the key # to look at when valuing a speaker ?
thanks
happy holidays
tim
What is your budget? I find it odd that you want to pair up Klipsch's lower-end speakers with a receiver that costs over $1K. If you like the Klipsch sound, you may want to consider going with their Reference line. If money is a factor, you can step down to a $800 receiver such as the Dennon 2805 or the Yamaha 1500. The Reference series is more efficient than the Synergy series as well, so you will actually get more volume (and MUCH better sound!) for your dollar.

While speaker sensitivity is something to keep in mind, the most important thing when auditioning speakers is finding the ones that sound best to your ears. There are other things to consider, such as a flat frequency response, fit and finish, ect., but it all boils down to the sound.

I have a Dennon 2805 matched up with older Klipsch KG series speakers and an SC-3 center in my living room and am very happy with the receiver. I am planning on going with Klipsch or Paradigm Reference when I eventually finish the basement home theater.
I find the sound of the Dennon a bit fuller than the Yamaha. While they sound very similar to each other at lower volumes, the Yamaha sounds a bit bright to me when the volume is brought up to reference level.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Listen to the combinations before you buy. Klipsch makes a great speaker, very efficient. They sound great with both Denon and Onkyo. But I agree with Karp. As much as I like my Yamaha 1500 it does have a brighter sound. To my ears matching it with Klipsch speakers produces a rather harsh sound, At least with 2-channel music. With movies it doesn't seem as noticable.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Karp said:
What is your budget? I find it odd that you want to pair up Klipsch's lower-end speakers with a receiver that costs over $1K. If you like the Klipsch sound, you may want to consider going with their Reference line. If money is a factor, you can step down to a $800 receiver such as the Dennon 2805 or the Yamaha 1500. The Reference series is more efficient than the Synergy series as well, so you will actually get more volume (and MUCH better sound!) for your dollar.

While speaker sensitivity is something to keep in mind, the most important thing when auditioning speakers is finding the ones that sound best to your ears. There are other things to consider, such as a flat frequency response, fit and finish, ect., but it all boils down to the sound.

I have a Dennon 2805 matched up with older Klipsch KG series speakers and an SC-3 center in my living room and am very happy with the receiver. I am planning on going with Klipsch or Paradigm Reference when I eventually finish the basement home theater.
I find the sound of the Dennon a bit fuller than the Yamaha. While they sound very similar to each other at lower volumes, the Yamaha sounds a bit bright to me when the volume is brought up to reference level.
I agree with Karp about the allocations of your system budget. IMHO think 75% of your budget for speakers and 25% for electronics. In the big scheme of things your speakers and room acoustics contribute almost everything to the sound quality of your system and the receiver contributes very little.

Nick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis