Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My brother in-law is trying to decide on speakers for his soon to be complete re-do of there living / music room. He recently saw this ad...........

I have no first hand listening knowledge of them, anyone else care to chime in...........

jd-mac

jd-mac

Enthusiast
The "new" model Five has gotten a number of very positive reviews and at least one "meh" that I've seen. To me it looks like a definite contender, especially if you go for that mind-century style. Would be interesting to see it compared with the nearest price/style competitors from JBL and Wharfedale.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, a new acoustic suspension speaker....wonder what driver they use.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My brother in-law is trying to decide on speakers for his soon to be complete re-do of there living / music room. He recently saw this ad...........

I have no first hand listening knowledge of them, anyone else care to chime in...........
If you want a copy of a 1957 speaker go ahead and good luck. You should look at the Audioholics presentation of speaker specifications. For domestic speakers we just don't have them. So it is impossible to know if a speaker is any good or not. Those originals were not even close to the best on offer in 1957!

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe someone will re-introduce old models of receivers, too. :)

K

KNOTSCOTT

Enthusiast
From a glance, there's no way I'd pay $2K for a pair of those, but if he loves them and they fit the bill, good on him.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I only know the KLH of the 1990's-2000's and they weren't that great.

They were obviously no where near this price point, but KLH didn't make higher end stuff then. I still have my old KLH sub from way back when.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've been waiting a while for a review with measurements on these.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This paragraph should worry anyone reasonable:
"The team consists of Sales SVP Greg Topp; Product Development SVP Sal Cannatella (ex-Klipsch supply chain); CTO Steve Howell; Finance / Operations VP Jon Kerns; Business Development VP Jeff Dano; Marketing VP George Harris and National Sales Manager Patrick Thompson."
Except for their new CTO (not responsible for products), everyone else is sales, marketing, and operations. This tells me that this brand was resurrected NOT to design and develop brand new cutting edge products, but rather to maximize sales while milking the brand recognition. Basically seems like the same deal as Audiovox

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well guess what showed up in todays mail........ Stereophile with a review of the KLH 5's. I'll give it a read tonight.

As for TLS comment, no one would expect a 2k pair of speakers to be 'best' but rather where would they hold up in their price point, punch above it or fall below ?

He'd like the Harbeth's but his wallet says otherwise !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well guess what showed up in todays mail........ Stereophile with a review of the KLH 5's. I'll give it a read tonight.

As for TLS comment, no one would expect a 2k pair of speakers to be 'best' but rather where would they hold up in their price point, punch above it or fall below ?

You can't possibly compare KLH to Harbeth. Harbeth make some of the best sounding speakers in the business and have done for years.

But to answer your question, it is impossible to answer it. As domestic speakers are essentially unspecked. You should read the thread on this and even better watch the Audioholics video, which I heartily recommend, which addresses the problem you are asking.

You absolutely can NOT source speakers like the other components, unless you stick to only speakers that have solid and extensive third party measurements.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I remember seeing reviews on the Model Five months ago and most were positive if you're into the retro look, but $2k seems like a lot for an acoustic suspension design. There should be quite a few good options in that price range. Is he set on getting something with a vintage look? Too bad the JBL L82's are so expensive.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
So it is impossible to know if a speaker is any good or not. Those originals were not even close to the best on offer in 1957!
Particularly since they weren't introduced until 1968. It was one of the better speakers of that period, really only second to the larger KLH Model 12 that had a larger cabinet more suitable to the woofer. I owned a pair of 5's for decades and enjoyed them very much. The main problem was the usual lack of attention to driver layout. The parallel dual midrange units interfered with each other and with the woofer and tweeter, producing a suck out in the lower treble, upper midrange. But in terms of neutrality, it was miles ahead of the AR3 and AR2 series, and sounded very much like a Dynaco A25 with deeper bass reach.

Contrary to the marketing hype surrounding the current reincarnation, the original Model 5 didn't sell particularly well due to its high price of $360/pair and the soon-to-be-introduced large Advent. However, the midrange units were very high quality acoustic suspension drivers that were used full range in the KLH "suitcase" all-in-one speaker with active equalization. I worked up a revised crossover for the 5's a few years ago and would put those up against a whole lot of contemporary designs. Finally, the original 5's used a genuine acoustic suspension woofer, which relied primarily on the compliance of the trapped air in the cabinet to control woofer motions. The re-imagined 5's use a sealed woofer, but not one with a high enough compliance to qualify as true acoustic suspension in design.

arguably the best speaker of that period, but suffered the

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic

Great. That review isn't up on the stereophile site yet, so I would really interested to hear what John had to say about them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Overall a respectable review both from JA's measurement analysis and KM's subjective listening evaluation. Both hinted at a less than stellar tweeter performance but given the performance to price ratio all is good.

I'll be seeing my brother in-law tonight for dinner, have to see if we can find any dealers in our area for a demo

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What about the newer klh ?? They any good haha ? I’ve only seen a pOooor condition model 5 was so ruined wouldn’t buy it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis