Kitchen Bookshelf Speakers - Paradigm?

M

MiamiBluff

Audiophyte
New here. Looking for $200-$300 bookshelf speakers (no sub) to go on top of cabinets in a kitchen. My system is:

Onkyo 8522 (2-channel) 100W
Sonos
Sima Speaker Selector
Family Room 2 pairs of Polk Audio RCi80
Patio Polk Atrium 45 (pair)

Small is good according to my wife to make sure they aren't seen from below. (They will sit on cabinets with molding) We play lots of acoustic piano and guitar music. 90% background music. I like crisp and clean sound. Kitchen is 18x12

Reading the threads, I'm seeing a lot of support for:

- Paradigm Atoms
- Athena AS-B1.2 (but I'm not sure this are still in production)
- Axiom M2 V2
- AV-123 LS series
- Infinity Primus 152

Also these will be run through a wall volume control - which shouldn't affect anything, but if it does let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
in-ceiling speakers

A pair of Polk or other in-ceiling speakers would work well for the kitchen. Quality bookshelf speaker would have better quality, but the speaker position and room are not ideal. I used some inexpensive inceiling speakers for my distributed audio system and they are great for background music.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Put PSB Image B15 on your list of auditions as well.

majorloser

majorloser

The nice part about the Axioms is that you could get them in custom finishes that will match your kitchen cabinets.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I've got the Atoms with the same receiver in my bedroom and it works well for me. They aren't the most aesthetically pleasing though, especially compared with some of the internet direct offerings. The only other speakers on your list I've heard are the Infinity's and I wasn't very impressed.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I am in the exact same position that you are, and I am unsure as to whether or not i should go with an inwall, or a small bookshelf. Hopefully we get a few more options from some of the guys. In Canada it is hard to get some of these speakers. I have paradigms as my main system, so would like to try something else just for variety, but I do love my digms.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
The Atoms don't have the best bass. It cuts off fairly high, as evidenced by the published FR (90 Hz I believe). They sound MUCH better closer to ear level. I had them on top of my computer hutch, and when I moved them down the quality improved dramatically. They seem to be very sensitive to placement (especially with respect to distance from the rear wall), so I wouldn't recommend them for this application.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Do you have any wall space that you could dedicate to speakers? Maybe you could consider something in wall. That might be a way to get the speakers down lower where they will create a much better sound stage at ear level.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Epos ELS-3 are very small but they are not front ported if you require it. You can get a pair in used market for $200.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
What about another pair of Atrium 45? You already have some so you know how they sound and can be found cheap right now. Since they are made for out doors they would be a bit hardier to standing up to the conditions usually found in a kitchen.

You might also consider the EMP/RBH on walls.

J

jberc

Audiophyte
athena as b1

I have some as b1s I might be looking to get rid of

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis