Kimber Kable KCAG with WBT 0114 RG RCA plugs

jinjuku

jinjuku

Are these any good or should I get Blue Jean equivalent?
Not sure why the thread went off the rails. I personally wouldn't spend that $$ for cabling that I get no return for sonically.

If the aesthetic however appeals to you then by all means get them. I just use Belden 500 and solder terminate with either spades, or banana's, or my favorite: Neutrik.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Random thoughts:
a] the only thing wrong with Kimber Kable is the price.
b] there is no better bulk RCA unbalance analog interconnect cable than Blue Jeans Cable LC-1. And only a few near equals.
c] low inductance loudspeaker cable only matters with:
long cables and loudspeakers that have a low, high frequency impedance (think Apogee).

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
LMAO. :D

Yeah I better be really careful with these wires. Don’t want any treble roll-offs or flappy bass due to minute changes in inductance and resistance. :D
Of course I'm poking fun at cables,:) to each their own for their choice with chosen speaker cables. For my choice I use these on my LCR. Not expensive all 3 are 15 foot each. Mediabridge, surround speakers, reg 12g wire no bananas.

81wdLykq1AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So a slight increase in resistance means there is a DROP OFF in frequency response?

@gene is the frequency response of these Kimber cables flat from 20Hz-20kHz or is there a DROP OFF in frequency response after 15 kHz?

From Gene's review: "The Kimber speaker cables exhibit a very flat AC resistance profile for the entire audio band. These cables don’t start to show appreciable signs of skin effect (increased AC resistance) until around 50kHz which is well above the 20kHz audio band. At 100kHz, the AC resistance of the 14AWG Kimber 4PR cables is equivalent to the Bluejeans 5T00UP 10AWG cables while the 8PR and 8TC cables exhibit much lower AC resistance."

So if the Kimber have LESS resistance than the BJC, how much does the BJC DROP OFF in frequency response?

I am not an electrical engineer, so @PENG what do you think about these electrical measurements (Resistance/Inductance) in terms of Frequency Response drop off?
The frequencies still pass, just not at the same level when the impedance increases.

To be realistic, it's a small increase, but at that price, they damn well better not decrease anything that passes through them. If the signal out is different from what enters, it can't be considered 'high fidelity'. Bad high frequency linearity can be used to tame overly bright speakers, though.

I find it odd that the inductance drops in the same range as the rise in resistance.

If the resistance for a frequency increases, the voltage drops. It's not debatable, it's a fact and Power decreases with resistance through a conductor- you have to know that. 4 Ohm vs 8 Ohm speakers- less Power with higher impedance load. Same reason.

To be fair, it's a very small amount of increase.

highfigh

highfigh

When I needed to add length to my speaker wires, this is all I'd do worked good. But you have to watch out because if you make the loop to big you'll end up with flappy bass, to small of a loop you'll end up with high end roll off. :p;)
View attachment 65831
I was told that a Sheep shank knot sounds better. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Of course I'm poking fun at cables,:) to each their own for their choice with chosen speaker cables. For my choice I use these on my LCR. Not expensive all 3 are 15 foot each. Mediabridge, surround speakers, reg 12g wire no bananas.

View attachment 65841
No bananas? What do you call those Gold things soldered to the wires?

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
No bananas? What do you call those Gold things soldered to the wires?
lol, I have no bananas on my surround speakers. Did I notice any Difference in sound quality going from regular 12 gage wire clear type with no banana's, to those mediabridge gold plated soldered cables? Nope! I move my speakers and system from time to time to clean behind there, cobwebs that's the only reason I added them really for convenience.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

lol, I have no bananas on my surround speakers. Did I notice any Difference in sound quality going from regular 12 gage wire clear type with no banana's, to those mediabridge gold plated soldered cables? Nope! I move my speakers and system from time to time to clean behind there, cobwebs that's the only reason I added them really for convenience.
Banana plugs are not necessary. They were originally used for lab/design purposes when connecting wires was done frequently and screws wasted too much time. They add zero to performance, even with Gold plating.

I would bet that you notice something is off after moving your speakers in they haven't been returned to the exact location as before. Copper makes for a great connection and if you think about it, adding banana plugs adds two connection points at each end- connection points are also called 'potential points of failure'.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

View attachment 65841
Yeah. You know it's really SLOW when we're talking about CABLES for the last several days. :D

At least the Super Bowl is today. We can talk about cables again tomorrow. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have used cable sleeves in the past.

Do $13 Amazon sleeving look like this?

Everyone has their own personal preferences that they are happy with. If they are happy with $13 sleeving or BJC or any other cables, that’s cool.

The point is everyone is different and desires different things. Don’t expect everyone to like $13 sleeving or BJC or the same things.

The other point is, Gene has tested Kimber Kable and personally uses Kimber Kable. So they do cost more money, but Kimber are NOT junk cables.

Some people are willing to pay, some are not willing to pay. Not everyone wants the same thing.
Maybe its more accurate to say they are overpriced for what they deliver. I wont buy cables for aesthetic reasons as cables should not be seen ideally.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Maybe its more accurate to say they are overpriced for what they deliver. I wont buy cables for aesthetic reasons as cables should not be seen ideally.
And I just listen to the speakers. Tried the cables without a speaker, just in case, dead silence so I am satisfied.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yeah. You know it's really SLOW when we're talking about CABLES for the last several days. :D

At least the Super Bowl is today. We can talk about cables again tomorrow. :D
Naw, today.
subs are slow as well. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed I'm out going to watch the SB. Catch you guys later. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis