kilpsch Deal! Refurb 15" subwoofers reference series at woot.com

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This would be the more appropriate place for that. :)

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
Wherever it belongs, thank you for this. While I'm grateful, my spouse may be less pleased with your assistance in acquiring more subwoofers... ;)

At full price, I know people seem to favor the Hsu and a few others over the Klipsch. But these seem to be pretty well regarded. At more than half off with free shipping - a price I've never seen them drop to before - heck, even lower than the just-ending Black Friday SVS SB12-NSD and PB12-NSD sale - that seems like a pretty darn good deal.

SwedishChef

SwedishChef

Junior Audioholic
Thought I'd report on my experience with this purchase for future people searching the forums on refurbished subwoofer deals on Woot.

Considering the Klipsch R-115SW was complicated for me. While Klipsch isn't considered a top-tier sub manufacturer, this particular 15" subwoofer seemed relatively well regarded, and seemed to measure reasonably (e.g., here: https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-r-115sw-subwoofer-reviewed/ - I'd cite Audioholics if it had been reviewed here).

While I wouldn't have considered it at full price, at the sale price (with free shipping) - it seemed worth exploring and comparing some more. I couldn't find anything that measured as well for that price, and decided to take a risk on a refurb and explore.

I won't have time to do more detailed comparison testing until after the holidays, but some quick initial tests lead me to believe I'll be satisfied with their performance. (I got two.) However, there are some other factors, and a few downsides, I want to describe for future potential purchasers of refurb subwoofers through Woot.

Ground shipping was at a reasonable speed. Packaging was terrible, and I feel like the condition of the subs was not accurately described.

If you watch an "unboxing" of these subwoofers on YouTube, you'll see four full-height stiff cardboard L shaped "edge protectors" along the four vertical edges of the box, and one big styrofoam platform on the bottom with a cap on top. Both of the subs I received had broken styrofoam, which reduced the protection, no stiff L edge protectors at all on any side, and large holes in one edge of each box (there was no double boxing). You could put your hand - or your whole arm to the shoulder on the second one - through the hole. I did so, when they arrived, to try to check for damage, and had the driver (UPS in this case) record them as possibly damaged since both boxes were so bad. The subs were exposed - you could touch them through those holes.

When I unpacked them, I noticed each had a crushed corner. Basically, these appear to be subs somebody dropped - either at the factory before packing them up in the first place (although I find that unlikely, due to the poor packaging) or in some other circumstance. Both were marked "B Stock" (which is not how they were advertised on Woot - they were called Manufacturer Refurbished) on the boxes and with stickers on the back of the sub, noting the tester who apparently checked them.

My initial quick testing seemed to indicate they were working reasonably, so I had to decide whether to keep them or return them.

Several factors influenced the decision. While I was disappointed by the condition and the packaging, I had not been expecting 100% perfectly new subs when I bought "refurbished." Both of the crushed corners are front bottom - one left and one right. One looked pretty bad with the sub upside down, but really wasn't very noticeable with it right-side-up. The other is more obvious. These would probably keep it from sitting flat on a non-carpeted floor, but I'll have them on some form of isolation.

I can't imagine this damage impacting performance, unless something internal was shaken loose in whatever fall damaged them in the first place. There are several other surface blemishes on several sides of the subs. (For clarity, the holes and damage to the boxes did not seem to line up with the nature of the damage to the subs, so - after opening and examining them - I don't think they were damaged in transport to me, though it is an outside possibility.)

I would have had to take extra steps to repackage them for return. I was shocked they made it to me with the boxes in the poor condition they were in, and I could not have simply reused the packaging without additional boxing or protection. I don't know if they would have paid return shipping (did not thoroughly check Woot policies before purchase because I didn't realize how risky this purchase would turn out to be), but I think I could have had them returned due to the "possibly damaged" notations by the shipper.

So I decided to keep them and will try to position them and integrate them over the next few weekends if I can find the time.

For future Woot purchasers - some suggestions:
  1. You may be purchasing B Stock, repaired, or damaged items in deals like this on Woot. Do not presume you're going to receive nearly-new items simply immediately returned by customers. In particular, be prepared for significant cosmetic issues. If you're not willing to risk this outcome, I'd suggest you avoid their Manufacturer Refurbished items.
  2. Be sure to inspect the packaging on delivery - it may be well below the standard of new products and not fully protect the contents. If there looks like risk of damage to the product, ask the delivery person to note it.
  3. If you're more interested in performance than looks, it can be a reasonable deal. I'm satisfied with my purchase, though I do wish both the description and packaging had been better.
So, I guess the moral of the story is "buyer beware, but good deals can be had." These subs outperform (i.e., outmeasure in published reviews) the good-but-$120-more-expensive-even-on-final-special-black-friday-sale SVS PB12-NSD, for example. The R-115SW was originally $900, and stayed at that price most of the time, though regular sales brought it down to $720 (20% off) a few times per year. Sites like camelcamelcamel report it never being lower than $600 in its 3-year history. This Wood deal made these refurbs 58% off. Furthermore, Klipsch has basically just re-released this sub as the SPL-150SW for $1,150. (If you compare the spec sheets they appear to be 100% identical in literally every reported spec and dimension.) Even if you can do better for $1,150 and $900 (and I'm 100% confident you can - and probably for $720), I don't think you can do better for $379.

I'm calling it a win. Best wishes and good luck to any future reader who makes such a purchase, perhaps on the SPL-150 in 2-3 years. ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thought I'd report on my experience with this purchase for future people searching the forums on refurbished subwoofer deals on Woot.

Considering the Klipsch R-115SW was complicated for me. While Klipsch isn't considered a top-tier sub manufacturer, this particular 15" subwoofer seemed relatively well regarded, and seemed to measure reasonably (e.g., here: https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-r-115sw-subwoofer-reviewed/ - I'd cite Audioholics if it had been reviewed here).

While I wouldn't have considered it at full price, at the sale price (with free shipping) - it seemed worth exploring and comparing some more. I couldn't find anything that measured as well for that price, and decided to take a risk on a refurb and explore.

I won't have time to do more detailed comparison testing until after the holidays, but some quick initial tests lead me to believe I'll be satisfied with their performance. (I got two.) However, there are some other factors, and a few downsides, I want to describe for future potential purchasers of refurb subwoofers through Woot.

Ground shipping was at a reasonable speed. Packaging was terrible, and I feel like the condition of the subs was not accurately described.

If you watch an "unboxing" of these subwoofers on YouTube, you'll see four full-height stiff cardboard L shaped "edge protectors" along the four vertical edges of the box, and one big styrofoam platform on the bottom with a cap on top. Both of the subs I received had broken styrofoam, which reduced the protection, no stiff L edge protectors at all on any side, and large holes in one edge of each box (there was no double boxing). You could put your hand - or your whole arm to the shoulder on the second one - through the hole. I did so, when they arrived, to try to check for damage, and had the driver (UPS in this case) record them as possibly damaged since both boxes were so bad. The subs were exposed - you could touch them through those holes.

When I unpacked them, I noticed each had a crushed corner. Basically, these appear to be subs somebody dropped - either at the factory before packing them up in the first place (although I find that unlikely, due to the poor packaging) or in some other circumstance. Both were marked "B Stock" (which is not how they were advertised on Woot - they were called Manufacturer Refurbished) on the boxes and with stickers on the back of the sub, noting the tester who apparently checked them.

My initial quick testing seemed to indicate they were working reasonably, so I had to decide whether to keep them or return them.

Several factors influenced the decision. While I was disappointed by the condition and the packaging, I had not been expecting 100% perfectly new subs when I bought "refurbished." Both of the crushed corners are front bottom - one left and one right. One looked pretty bad with the sub upside down, but really wasn't very noticeable with it right-side-up. The other is more obvious. These would probably keep it from sitting flat on a non-carpeted floor, but I'll have them on some form of isolation.

I can't imagine this damage impacting performance, unless something internal was shaken loose in whatever fall damaged them in the first place. There are several other surface blemishes on several sides of the subs. (For clarity, the holes and damage to the boxes did not seem to line up with the nature of the damage to the subs, so - after opening and examining them - I don't think they were damaged in transport to me, though it is an outside possibility.)

I would have had to take extra steps to repackage them for return. I was shocked they made it to me with the boxes in the poor condition they were in, and I could not have simply reused the packaging without additional boxing or protection. I don't know if they would have paid return shipping (did not thoroughly check Woot policies before purchase because I didn't realize how risky this purchase would turn out to be), but I think I could have had them returned due to the "possibly damaged" notations by the shipper.

So I decided to keep them and will try to position them and integrate them over the next few weekends if I can find the time.

1. You may be purchasing B Stock, repaired, or damaged items in deals like this on Woot. Do not presume you're going to receive nearly-new items simply immediately returned by customers. In particular, be prepared for significant cosmetic issues. If you're not willing to risk this outcome, I'd suggest you avoid their Manufacturer Refurbished items.
  2. Be sure to inspect the packaging on delivery - it may be well below the standard of new products and not fully protect the contents. If there looks like risk of damage to the product, ask the delivery person to note it.
  3. If you're more interested in performance than looks, it can be a reasonable deal. I'm satisfied with my purchase, though I do wish both the description and packaging had been better.
So, I guess the moral of the story is "buyer beware, but good deals can be had." These subs outperform (i.e., outmeasure in published reviews) the good-but-$120-more-expensive-even-on-final-special-black-friday-sale SVS PB12-NSD, for example. The R-115SW was originally $900, and stayed at that price most of the time, though regular sales brought it down to $720 (20% off) a few times per year. Sites like camelcamelcamel report it never being lower than $600 in its 3-year history. This Wood deal made these refurbs 58% off. Furthermore, Klipsch has basically just re-released this sub as the SPL-150SW for $1,150. (If you compare the spec sheets they appear to be 100% identical in literally every reported spec and dimension.) Even if you can do better for $1,150 and $900 (and I'm 100% confident you can - and probably for $720), I don't think you can do better for $379.

I'm calling it a win. Best wishes and good luck to any future reader who makes such a purchase, perhaps on the SPL-150 in 2-3 years. ;)
Thanks for the heads up on Woot refurbished products I don't know where they sit in the supply chain or if they actually perform or evaluate the refurbished items.
I would consider what you got more accurately described as scratch/dent/damaged B-stock and am used to damage like you described being declared in a specific manner with photographs of the damaged areas for each unit. Typically, the refurbished items I have received look like new unless you "play detective/inspector" and look for signs of use, and even then I sometimes don't find anything! So I am comparatively spoiled!

Thanks again for taking the time to share an account of your experience!
(and let us know your impressions of the subs after things get less busy!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

As long as the damage didn't create any air leaks in the cab that affect performance I'd say you did pretty good for $379 apiece.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I would have expected a bit more from my purchase for a factory reconditioned item and might have demanded Woot take them back and provide packaging to do so.....in the end $380 for some slightly abused subs of that potential isn't bad as long as the aesthetic doesn't bother you. I hadn't heard about the SPL series....Klipsch and their goofy sub designations.....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Klipsch is notorious for their poor packing for parcel delivery. They only use styrofoam packing on almost all of their products, including very heavy stuff like the RP-8000F towers and, as you can see, a 15" sub. This is not at all the appropriate packing type for this kind of product. You are supposed to use polyethylene foam for shipping these sorts of products, which can handle shock way better. I found out in discussion about this with other audio press members, it turns out a lot of reviewers have had problems with damaged products arriving at their homes with Klipsch because of their poor packing. I should have made mention of this issue in my RP-8000F review, but I decided not to since most buyers will be purchasing these products at a retail store instead of ordering them for parcel delivery. Now that I think about it, it was a mistake not to mention that. When I received the 8000F speakers, much of the styofoam packing was shattered, and the speakers were not in perfect shape due to that. I had to improvise return shipping packing pieces, and I am sure that my hodgepodge efforts were far superior to Klipsch's own packing. Styrofoam is only appropriate for shipping light things.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis