KHT1005.2 as Atmos speakers

R

Ray Y

Audiophyte
Hi guys, long timer lurker and first time poster here. I recently had to upgrade my old Denon AVR1902 to Yamaha RXA3050. Yes it was a huge upgrade. Got a pretty good deal on the Yamaha from Craigslist. I have in my sheepish arsenal a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70 front speakers, a Polk CS1 center, a pair of polk R40, and a set of the KEF KHT1005.2. I plan to wire all these up as a 5.4.2 Atmos setup. The Monitor 70 will remain as fronts, the CS1 as center, the R40 as surround, and 4 speakers from the KHT1005.2 will be mounted on the ceiling. The sub from KHT1005.2 will be also be employed along with a cheapo Quest QS8 that I have laying around. I hope it's gonna be awesome!

However, I have some concern with the KHT1005.2. I'm having a hard time finding exactly how much wattage these are designed to handle. I didn't really care with the old Denon as I knew it was not a powerful amp. But the Yamaha RXA3050 is a 150W amp. I'm still a little afraid that I'll blow the KHT1005.2 even if they are only used as ceiling speakers.

Also, feel free to comment on my setup. I know these are not premium speakers by today's standard. But they are what I have, and should provide good performance for movies and non-critical music listening. Still, I wouldn't mind some advice on tweaking and/or future upgrades. Cheers all.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
However, I have some concern with the KHT1005.2. I'm having a hard time finding exactly how much wattage these are designed to handle. I didn't really care with the old Denon as I knew it was not a powerful amp. But the Yamaha RXA3050 is a 150W amp. I'm still a little afraid that I'll blow the KHT1005.2 even if they are only used as ceiling speakers.
Nah! Don't worry about this. The Yamaha will not overpower them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis