Kenwood VR-6070 Humming

C

clifw

Audiophyte
I moved my Kenwood KRF-X9060D, VR-6070 from one room to another. Suddenly I have what sounds like an AC hum when I connect the front two speakers. I have changed plugs, used battery backup, connected new banana plugs, and re-wired but to no avail. I am at a loss. It worked perfectly in the other room with the same speaker setup. I appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.
Thank you in advance,
clifw

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be a ground loop hum perhaps? Perhaps a transformer going? Try taking it back to the other room and see if it is gone again or remains?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I moved my Kenwood KRF-X9060D, VR-6070 from one room to another. Suddenly I have what sounds like an AC hum when I connect the front two speakers. I have changed plugs, used battery backup, connected new banana plugs, and re-wired but to no avail. I am at a loss. It worked perfectly in the other room with the same speaker setup. I appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.
Thank you in advance,
clifw
I assume the hum is coming from the speakers. If that is so, may be the live and neutral of that AC outlet is reversed. You should check that. Does the hum appear with only the speakers connected, and NOTHING else?

If the above assumption is correct, and the receptacle is wired correctly, then the receiver almost certainly has a power supply problem. The problem most likely is failure of the power supply smoothing caps. Since this receiver is 18 years old, then that is to be expected to a fairly high probability. As a matter of interest how long was the receiver disconnected from power when you moved it? The reason is that when plugged in the receiver is in standby mode, and the caps are powered and polarized to a degree. After disconnect they will discharge. So when old and failing the problem is most likely to be manifest at the next repolarization.

At the age of that receiver, repair is not an economic proposition.

C

clifw

Audiophyte
I assume the hum is coming from the speakers. If that is so, may be the live and neutral of that AC outlet is reversed. You should check that. Does the hum appear with only the speakers connected, and NOTHING else?

If the above assumption is correct, and the receptacle is wired correctly, then the receiver almost certainly has a power supply problem. The problem most likely is failure of the power supply smoothing caps. Since this receiver is 18 years old, then that is to be expected to a fairly high probability. As a matter of interest how long was the receiver disconnected from power when you moved it? The reason is that when plugged in the receiver is in standby mode, and the caps are powered and polarized to a degree. After disconnect they will discharge. So when old and failing the problem is most likely to be manifest at the next repolarization.

At the age of that receiver, repair is not an economic proposition.
I have had it for about 17 years. It only happens when the front speakers + &- are connected. Not when only the + or - is only connected. I replaced a Yamaha RXV120D because the remote went bad. I'm old and getting up and down is difficult. When I built the house in 76, I wired the whole house for stereo and the living room for DTS Dolby. I built a small closet off the Living room to house all the equipment and used IR repeaters to control all the equipment, DVD, VHS, 300CD Player, and receiver. I guess the only solution is to put the Yamaha back and look for a new remote. I believe I have seen a few on the internet. Thank you very much for your help. I really was frustrated as I can't use the living room tv without the receiver. I've been building computers since 1980 and am somewhat technically ok. This really stumped me.
Again, Thank you,
clifw.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have had it for about 17 years. It only happens when the front speakers + &- are connected. Not when only the + or - is only connected. I replaced a Yamaha RXV120D because the remote went bad. I'm old and getting up and down is difficult. When I built the house in 76, I wired the whole house for stereo and the living room for DTS Dolby. I built a small closet off the Living room to house all the equipment and used IR repeaters to control all the equipment, DVD, VHS, 300CD Player, and receiver. I guess the only solution is to put the Yamaha back and look for a new remote. I believe I have seen a few on the internet. Thank you very much for your help. I really was frustrated as I can't use the living room tv without the receiver. I've been building computers since 1980 and am somewhat technically ok. This really stumped me.
Again, Thank you,
clifw.
I would try remotes.com.

They make excellent remotes. I bought one from them for a Marantz remote that failed on one of my AVPs that was NLA. The remote from them is much better than the original.

I can not find that a Yamaha RXV120D ever existed. I can not find it listed on any site including Yamaha's. So I think you have listed an erroneous model number.

From what you say, I think that Kenwood needs a trip to the recycling center. If you are handy open the case and see if you can see any bulging or leakage of the power supply caps. If so, and you are handy, then you can replace the caps.

I am elderly as well, age 75, but I don't have any tremor yet, and can still do very delicate repairs on circuit boards. I guess I am fortunate.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I moved my Kenwood KRF-X9060D, VR-6070 from one room to another. Suddenly I have what sounds like an AC hum when I connect the front two speakers.
clifw
They both seem to be surround receivers, so how do you have them connected, why do you need both for a pair of speakers or are you setting them up as two separate systems? If so, do they both hum?

I have had it for about 17 years. It only happens when the front speakers + &- are connected. Not when only the + or - is only connected.
What else have you connected to the receiver besides speakers, such as inputs, i.e. cd player, phono, TV receivers etc.?

From what you say, I think that Kenwood needs a trip to the recycling center.
If the Kenwood receivers had been working fine (actually he said " It worked perfectly in the other room with the same speaker setup) for 17 years and only started to hum since he moved them to another room, then I think they are not yet ready to make a trip to the recycling center yet.

I think as HD suggested:
Try taking it back to the other room and see if it is gone again or remains?
This is a good idea just to make sure nothing has gone bad since he moved the two Kenwood units. Then we help him troubleshoot some more.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They both seem to be surround receivers, so how do you have them connected, why do you need both for a pair of speakers or are you setting them up as two separate systems? If so, do they both hum?

What else have you connected to the receiver besides speakers, such as inputs, i.e. cd player, phono, TV receivers etc.?

If the Kenwood receivers had been working fine (actually he said " It worked perfectly in the other room with the same speaker setup) for 17 years and only started to hum since he moved them to another room, then I think they are not yet ready to make a trip to the recycling center yet.

I think as HD suggested:

This is a good idea just to make sure nothing has gone bad since he moved the two Kenwood units. Then we help him troubleshoot some more.
According to him his has changed outlets and rooms. The receiver hums with only speakers and power connected. So, the fault is in the receiver. I stand by my provisional diagnosis that this is most likely a power capacitor aging problem, unmasked by recent repolarization.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis