M

Mark Sutherland

Audiophyte
I am new to the separates home theatre world and would like to upgrade from my basic Samsung system but want to start with a second hand system to see how I get on, any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated, I would like to know which is the better of the two -

KEF2005.3 speakers with Kube2 sub-woofer

KEF KHT1505 with HTS7001 speakers

Many thanks

Mark S

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally would stay away from both sets. What is your budget and what are you trying to achieve? What size is your room you are working with? And from what area you are from so we can possibly check some local sales?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Stay away why?

Both are better than a LOT of HTIB kits at Best Buy or anything from Bose. Of the two I'd definitely go with the 2005.3 system. The KEF Egg speakers are actually pretty damned good for what they are.

If size of the speakers isn't an issue then tyhjaara is right. You could spend less and get more with other options. What's the budget, size of room, application, and are you factoring in approval of a cohabitator?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Stay away why?

Both are better than a LOT of HTIB kits at Best Buy or anything from Bose. Of the two I'd definitely go with the 2005.3 system. The KEF Egg speakers are actually pretty damned good for what they are.

If size of the speakers isn't an issue then tyhjaara is right. You could spend less and get more with other options. What's the budget, size of room, application, and are you factoring in approval of a cohabitator?
Reason why is what you already said, you can get better performance for money with something else. Yes they are better than bose and similar things, but you can do a lot better with better speakers for money.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
He did state that he wanted to start with a used system and the 2005.3 system is substantially better than a Samsung system. He did not state how much it's going for, and might not be looking at it if elements of it didn't appeal to him.

What appeals and why is the question, and once both your questions and mine are answered it's easier to see which way to go. At the very least, the 2005.3 system is better than the other, of those two.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

He did state that he wanted to start with a used system and the 2005.3 system is substantially better than a Samsung system. He did not state how much it's going for, and might not be looking at it if elements of it didn't appeal to him.

What appeals and why is the question, and once both your questions and mine are answered it's easier to see which way to go. At the very least, the 2005.3 system is better than the other, of those two.
Like you say, we don't know much about hes situation yet. But you can find some really good speakers used for cheap as well so there are many options unless hes budget is really low. We will be smarter when we hear about him again.

M

Mark Sutherland

Audiophyte
Thank you both for your comments, budget is low at present at around £300 (don't laugh), but this is for a used speakers/sub, and will be much better than current Samsung set, as stated this is new to me and I want to start at a more basic level than I'm sure you or most on this forum, I will then build and upgrade from this as time goes on and I have a better understanding. Room size is approx 22' x 11', tv in corner of room. The reason I considered the KHT1505 (HTS7001 speakers and C4 sub), is because I liked the compact speaker size.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The other system is better. Period.

Unless you like the other.

BTW, if you were to hear a slightly larger satellite speaker such as NHT One's, you'd probably reconsider tiny cubes.

Last edited:
M

Mark Sutherland

Audiophyte
Are you saying the 2005.3 is better, I have seen this set with a Kube 2 sub woofer for £250 (KHT1505 was same price), I would happily go over the original £300 budget quoted if you could recommend something better in the KEF range, someone somewhere may have a preloaded set they want to sell on, obviously your set up is serious kit but I'm nowhere near that stage yet, I looked for other areas to seek advice to get me going and this struck as the best place to get advice from seasoned and tested users/experts and serouisly value your opinions.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I just know that the KEF Egg satellites are highly regarded as compared to others in similar sizes. I take it you're in the UK. Here in the US we have Acccessories4Less.com which is a clearing house for KEF USA's "B-stock" goods. That's usually goods returned for various reasons but cannot be sold as new because it's been opened and handled. There are some good bargains, though not at used pricing.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spksystems/speakers/speaker-packages/1.html

Perhaps you have something similar there?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Do you have something like Craigslist out there in uk where we could see what they have to offer locally for you? Could give some nice suggestios of we saw what is available.

M

Mark Sutherland

Audiophyte
Had a look, we do have Craiglist but not much on there at all, will keep looking though

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis