KEF Reference Meta & Perlisten comparison

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
I remember when Revel used to be made in California. Over time, manufacturing moved to China even though overall prices went up.

With KEF, you can get made in England speakers at a premium with the Reference and Blade models. The R series provides excellent performance at a much lower price point. Since KEF is owned by GP Acoustics, these are made in their own factory and not outsourced to a separate manufacturer.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I remember when Revel used to be made in California. Over time, manufacturing moved to China even though overall prices went up.

With KEF, you can get made in England speakers at a premium with the Reference and Blade models. The R series provides excellent performance at a much lower price point. Since KEF is owned by GP Acoustics, these are made in their own factory and not outsourced to a separate manufacturer.
Yeah, well, Samsung bought Harman International, so we get what we get. KEF is now Chinese-owned, too- I don't like the Chinese hoovering up everything.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ours are angled. I designed some custom adapters for use with a K&M mount.
FYI- if you drilled holes in the boxes, that may void the warranty- manufacturers don't like ANY alterations. Someone opn Facebook was asking about doing that and I mentioned the warranty status issue and people who have never worked in audio gave me a hard time about it. After 45+ years in the business, I wouldn't recommend that as long as they're never operated at the maximum power or cranked with amplifiers that struggle at high output. Not saying you will, but things happen. If the warranty coverage involves user-replacement of drivers, it won't be an issue.

A friend is one of KEF's regional sales managers- I'm going to suggest that threaded inserts be added to the smaller speakers, but I don't know if the company will be receptive. They're very British, you know. :)

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
I used the threaded inserts meant for stands.

FYI- if you drilled holes in the boxes, that may void the warranty- manufacturers don't like ANY alterations. Someone opn Facebook was asking about doing that and I mentioned the warranty status issue and people who have never worked in audio gave me a hard time about it. After 45+ years in the business, I wouldn't recommend that as long as they're never operated at the maximum power or cranked with amplifiers that struggle at high output. Not saying you will, but things happen. If the warranty coverage involves user-replacement of drivers, it won't be an issue.

A friend is one of KEF's regional sales managers- I'm going to suggest that threaded inserts be added to the smaller speakers, but I don't know if the company will be receptive. They're very British, you know. :)

M

Madhuski

Audioholic
Impressions on the Reference 2 Meta? I'm considering it...
I can’t speak to the Ref 2, but i have a Ref 4 and its a great speaker. Outstanding dialogue clarity, even when pretty far off-axis.

I’d imagine the Ref 2 is very similar

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
We have a living room system (I think you do as well). The even off axis response is noticeable when doing things like casual TV watching or having background music when you might get up and walk around.

I can’t speak to the Ref 2, but i have a Ref 4 and its a great speaker. Outstanding dialogue clarity, even when pretty far off-axis.

I’d imagine the Ref 2 is very similar

M

Madhuski

Audioholic
We have a living room system (I think you do as well). The even off axis response is noticeable when doing things like casual TV watching or having background music when you might get up and walk around.
Yup - living room system .The KEF's look fantastic imo (even if my wife is skeptical of the unique shape)

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yup - living room system .The KEF's look fantastic imo (even if my wife is skeptical of the unique shape)
Pretty! Does the center being back a couple of inches (set back) on the av unit and lower than the other tweeters ever get noticed?

Last edited:
Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
I looked and didn't see any. Thanks for clarifying. The KEF site doesn't show the bottom and the backs don't have inserts.
I think I had to download the manual for the stands to confirm that there were inserts.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Both the 2 and 4 are great center channels. Any combination of the Reference Meta and Blade Meta speakers would make an outstanding LCR.

I think the sealed speaker makes a lot of sense in a bass managed system. If your preference is to cross over at a lower f the 4 is great too.

We have a living room system, so the smaller size looks nice and the speaker is much lighter and easier to move. I can’t really see being able to pick up the 4.
Thanks! Yeah this will be joining my Blades and replacing an R2C. Definitely prefer the form factor of the 2 (my back fears the 4!).

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Nice! Are you going to put the feet on? Note that there is a small spirit level at the rear of the speaker base that you can use to level them with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis