KEF reference 3 vs R11

J

john20182050

Audioholic
Anyone can share a detailed comparison or your thoughts on this? I have placed order for R11 with a local dealer, waiting for it. But wondering better I should cancel it and buy reference 3 paying double the price of R11

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
NRC measurements of both can be found here. In terms of measured performance…not worth double the cost from what I can see. OTOH, finishing / build quality / crafted in the UK / cachet might be to some.

J

john20182050

Audioholic
NRC measurements of both can be found here. In terms of measured performance…not worth double the cost from what I can see. OTOH, finishing / build quality / crafted in the UK / cachet might be to some.
Thanks for the link

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'd still take Reference 3 over R11 in sound quality alone. The bass drivers on the Reference 3 are so much better-built and sound so good! I'm sure if you looked around you could find the Reference 3 used or dealer demo for closer to the cost of R11 (but unlikely lower than Reference 1.)

The whole speaker is better than even the latest R series in every way, and until they're in your room you might not know just how big a difference it is. I have been re-educated with my Reference 1, that's for sure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, okay then. First search turned up the R3. Second search turned up the Reference 3. Big difference, lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of course, everyone has a different POV.

On one hand, the "Reference line" is the flagship.

OTOH, the R11 seems to have more dynamics than the Reference 3 based on the specs:

R11: 1" Al Tweeter, 5" Al Midrange, 6.5" x 4 Al Woofers
Reference 3: 1" Al Tweeter, 5" Al Midrange, 6.5" x 2 Al Woofers

20 years ago I would have probably voted for the Reference 3.

But these days, I would vote for the R11 and save some money. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But these days, I would vote for the R11 and save some money. :D
In truth, I’d probably go for the R7’s and dump the rest into a capable set of subwoofers to manage the low end. Of course, I’ll probably end up a hypocrite with a set of Blades at some point, but whatever.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Have you guys saying R series ever spent time in front of References series? I was also a skeptic and might have said the same thing up until about 2 years ago. Now that 4 months have gone by with my lowly Reference 1's, I know why they cost as much as they do. Incredibly better than R series, and to me it's not a subtle difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you guys saying R series ever spent time in front of References series? I was also a skeptic and might have said the same thing up until about 2 years ago. Now that 4 months have gone by with my lowly Reference 1's, I know why they cost as much as they do. Incredibly better than R series, and to me it's not a subtle difference.
Yes I have. I also remember those days of listening and buying speakers all over creation. :D

And as awesome as some of these ultra-high-end speakers sound, it comes down to everyone's subjective sense of "worth".

Are the Reference better? Sure.

Do I think it's NIGHT VS DAY? No I don't.

But then again, we all have different hearing and perception and all that. :D

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Have you guys saying R series ever spent time in front of References series?
Yup, and if a set of R3’s fell into my lap, I’d certainly be saying farewell to my old R500’s. OTOH, with good setup (including a touch of EQ) and a supporting cast of subs, I don’t personally feel I’m leaving enough performance on the table to justify an upgrade, as opposed to when I had my old Q700s. YMMV of course.

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
I know he hasn’t been here since May but I’m curious what the OP ended up doing. I’ve been living with a pair of R11 since August ‘21 and was awaiting the Meta version announcement but after seeing it I’m a little underwhelmed, not enough of a bump to make me want to upgrade.

It got me curious about finding a pair of non-Meta Reference 3 (or 5) and a pair (of 3s) is available locally but I’m not sure if it’d be more of a lateral move than a bump.

FWIW I’m running dual SVS SB-2000s and use the Anthem ARC built into the STR preamp. Amplification is via a McIntosh MC302.

Perfectly happy with the setup…just feelin that little itch.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I know he hasn’t been here since May but I’m curious what the OP ended up doing. I’ve been living with a pair of R11 since August ‘21 and was awaiting the Meta version announcement but after seeing it I’m a little underwhelmed, not enough of a bump to make me want to upgrade.
It got me curious about finding a pair of non-Meta Reference 3 (or 5) and a pair (of 3s) is available locally but I’m not sure if it’d be more of a lateral move than a bump.
FWIW I’m running dual SVS SB-2000s and use the Anthem ARC built into the STR preamp. Amplification is via a McIntosh MC302.
Perfectly happy with the setup…just feelin that little itch.
Moving from the R11 to Reference 3 non-Meta would NOT be a lateral move! It would be a quantum leap.

On my KEF Enthusiasts FB group a frequent-posting member recently went from R11's backwards to R900's and said that bass output was superior. Then an opportunity arose to get a pair of older (2012-2019) Reference 5's....and he's astounded at the improvement! I was too in moving from R500's and LS50's to LS50's Meta and then Reference 1's in a smaller, acoustically ideal room. I'm now there damn near every evening, listening to all kinds of music for a couple hours a night. Reference series are just in a completely different league. They still retain a touch of the signature KEF sound profile, but in such a more glorious way.

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
Appreciate your insights @KenM10759 . Like you apparently, I’m a huge fan of KEF with a full Q-series suite in our surround setup, a pair of KEF Eggs on my desk at work and having owned the original LS50 and LS50W.

I could see (and hope) how the Reference 5 would be an improvement over the R11 but looking at the measurements of the R11 and Reference 3 it seems a much closer match.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Measurements are not there same as sitting in front of them and hearing them, and sitting in front of them and hearing them in one place is not the same as being at home.

I had heard the Reference 1's at my dealer's place several times and wasn't thinking they were all that. Then in a spur of the moment occurrence, I bought a pair and took them home. THAT is when I truly learned what they do. My room is acoustically better than either of the two rooms at my dealer where I heard them. OMG!

BTW, I also have a pair of KEF Egg powered speakers, mine are on my desk in my office..

W

wgb113

Enthusiast
I spoke with a guy at KEF U.S. about an hour ago and he was adamant that the non-Meta Reference 3 would be a noticeable upgrade from my non-Meta R11, especially considering my dual subs take that portion out of the equation.

Now to see if I can work out a deal as well as sell my R11.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I spoke with a guy at KEF U.S. about an hour ago and he was adamant that the non-Meta Reference 3 would be a noticeable upgrade from my non-Meta R11, especially considering my dual subs take that portion out of the equation.

Now to see if I can work out a deal as well as sell my R11.
if meta is coming wouldn’t you be better off waiting for those?
Appreciate your insights @KenM10759 . Like you apparently, I’m a huge fan of KEF with a full Q-series suite in our surround setup, a pair of KEF Eggs on my desk at work and having owned the original LS50 and LS50W.

I could see (and hope) how the Reference 5 would be an improvement over the R11 but looking at the measurements of the R11 and Reference 3 it seems a much closer match.
How does q series compare to entry Klipch icon or rp? My best-buy has never had kef ever. I’ve yet to here there coax .

W

wgb113

Enthusiast

How does q series compare to entry Klipch icon or rp? My best-buy has never had kef ever. I’ve yet to here there coax .
With regards to the Meta R series, it doesn’t appear to be a big enough improvement for me to want an audition. If you had the now 2-generation older R series or we’re stepping up from the Q series it seems much more likely you’ll be impressed.

I’ve never listened to a Klipsch speaker for an extended period of time so I’m not sure. The one thing current KEFs have that I find hard to beat is the Uni-Q‘s ability to image. If that’s an aspect you like about a speaker it’s hard to beat.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

I went from the Klipsch RF62IIs, RC52 to the Q750, Q650C. Overall sound quality was fairly close. The Kefs have a better midrange and were less bright. The biggest difference was in the sound stage. Much, much larger in all dimensions while still retaining great imaging.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I went from the Klipsch RF62IIs, RC52 to the Q750, Q650C. Overall sound quality was fairly close. The Kefs have a better midrange and were less bright. The biggest difference was in the sound stage. Much, much larger in all dimensions while still retaining great imaging.
Wow so I guess in a small room I wouldn’t gain much but I’d definitely consider kef for my non Klipsch set up all I got is Andrew Jones and insignia stuff .I need two new avr before I can upgrade speakers, which is hard because I’ve yet to find a job . Mine are both 12 years old or older models … Klipsch dropped the compression horn in there new stuff mostly . Soundstage is big on old icons but there a directional speaker unlike kef .

Last edited:
J

john20182050

Audioholic
I know he hasn’t been here since May but I’m curious what the OP ended up doing.
I went with KEF R11 only. Later, I added Parasound A 21+ and I also changed my subs to two SVS SB16-Ultra from single Monolith Ultra 15inch

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis