A

Audio_Karma

Audioholic Intern
Has anyone compared any of these Kef monitors to the Polk Audio lsi-m 703 monitors?

C

canelli

Audioholic
I found the R300 and R100 to have a difference in sound. Besides the expected lower frequencies, the R300 sound cleaner with extended highs. I thought the R100s were great, but on certain notes I felt there was a hint of the speaker losing control over the bass. This could also be from the weird placement of the speaker on the wall. Also, any of these speakers are very forgiving in the room placement.

A

Anielsen1980

Audiophyte
Hello Canelli and all the rest

I am also considering these speakers and have had some of the same considerations as you. I have listened to the R100 a few times and really like them! I am close to pulling the trigger on a rotel-ra12 int. amp + a rega turn table. I am pure into music (CD, LP and MP3). I have listened to quite a few speakers and have narrowed my choice down to KEF r100 or KEF r300, Dynaudio excite x12 or x16 or the Gamut Phi3 (discounted at the dealer).

My room is about 4 x 6 meters. I was wondering if there is any rule of thumb as to speaker size and placement? For instance, would the KEFr100/dynaudio x12 be less fuzzy about being placed closer to the wall or on a shelf than the KEF r300/dynaudio x16? Or is it the other way around, so that the larger speakers are more forgiving about placement close to walls?

I have searched this forum and the web but without much result. I hope someone on this forum have some thoughts on this.

My thoughts were triggered by what Canelli wrote:
"Would the larger driver on the R300 cause more issues with mounting the speaker near the wall or can I expect it to behave like the R100? If the R300 is voiced with a heavier mid-range, would it possible be a better fit since I am going to use some type of plug?"

So have you any thoughts on the placement of the r100 or the r300?

Best regards
Andreas

C

canelli

Audioholic
I have the R300s setup in a room about the size of the one you described. My room is an exercise / game room with the speakers mounted on the wall about 6.5' up. The distance between the back of the R300 and the wall is 8-10". The speakers are driven by a Pioneer Elite which doesn't do much room correction below 60hz. With the port partially plugged, I have not had any real issues with the placement.

I would suggest getting a pair of R100s and 300s in your house to demo via Kef Direct. On a side note, I have used both SVS and Kef for in home audition and both companies were excellent.

Keeps us update how the speaker search goes and good luck.

Hello Canelli and all the rest

I am also considering these speakers and have had some of the same considerations as you. I have listened to the R100 a few times and really like them! I am close to pulling the trigger on a rotel-ra12 int. amp + a rega turn table. I am pure into music (CD, LP and MP3). I have listened to quite a few speakers and have narrowed my choice down to KEF r100 or KEF r300, Dynaudio excite x12 or x16 or the Gamut Phi3 (discounted at the dealer).

My room is about 4 x 6 meters. I was wondering if there is any rule of thumb as to speaker size and placement? For instance, would the KEFr100/dynaudio x12 be less fuzzy about being placed closer to the wall or on a shelf than the KEF r300/dynaudio x16? Or is it the other way around, so that the larger speakers are more forgiving about placement close to walls?

I have searched this forum and the web but without much result. I hope someone on this forum have some thoughts on this.

My thoughts were triggered by what Canelli wrote:
"Would the larger driver on the R300 cause more issues with mounting the speaker near the wall or can I expect it to behave like the R100? If the R300 is voiced with a heavier mid-range, would it possible be a better fit since I am going to use some type of plug?"

So have you any thoughts on the placement of the r100 or the r300?

Best regards
Andreas

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've read through this whole thread with great interest because it comes down to R300 or R500 for me. My room is just about the same size canelli's and Anielsen1980, and mine would not be wall mounted for the L-R mains. I have old speakers of nearly the size of R300 on stands now, and having auditioned the R500 I know those could replace the stands and actually use less space.

If I were to upgrade my current Q10i rears with R300, I might have to get them wall mounted because I have no additional room on the current high-mount shelves. I just have to rationalize the added expense of R500, and don't know if 4 equal size R300 speakers make for substantially better surround sound than an R500 mains/R300 rears setup. Nor would I know if R500 sound all that much better than R300, given I will be running an SVS SB1000 or SB2000 sub. I had auditioned the R500 yesterday at a dealer I'll be buying from and they were amazing. They didn't have R300 for me to hear, as they'd sold them off a week ago and haven't got more in yet.

Decisions, decisions...

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've read through this whole thread with great interest because it comes down to R300 or R500 for me. My room is just about the same size canelli's and Anielsen1980, and mine would not be wall mounted for the L-R mains. I have old speakers of nearly the size of R300 on stands now, and having auditioned the R500 I know those could replace the stands and actually use less space.

If I were to upgrade my current Q10i rears with R300, I might have to get them wall mounted because I have no additional room on the current high-mount shelves. I just have to rationalize the added expense of R500, and don't know if 4 equal size R300 speakers make for substantially better surround sound than an R500 mains/R300 rears setup. Nor would I know if R500 sound all that much better than R300, given I will be running an SVS SB1000 or SB2000 sub. I had auditioned the R500 yesterday at a dealer I'll be buying from and they were amazing. They didn't have R300 for me to hear, as they'd sold them off a week ago and haven't got more in yet.

Decisions, decisions...
If you plan to listen pure direct / stereo only I would get R500 for mains as with a sub there shouldn't be so much difference except for looks. I how ever decided to get R500 for surrounds as well and haven't regret my choice.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I plan to use whatever I get in the same manner as what I currently have...about 80% 2.1 stereo and 20% as 5.1 surround sound.

Given that I need to budget for a better sub plus (eventually) 4 new speakers, I'll commit to the R300's all the way around. The R500's were sure nice but if looks is the main difference between them and R300 I just can't easily justify the extra $800 when I need a TV, sub, and a few other bits.

Thanks for the input!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I plan to use whatever I get in the same manner as what I currently have...about 80% 2.1 stereo and 20% as 5.1 surround sound.

Given that I need to budget for a better sub plus (eventually) 4 new speakers, I'll commit to the R300's all the way around. The R500's were sure nice but if looks is the main difference between them and R300 I just can't easily justify the extra $800 when I need a TV, sub, and a few other bits.

Thanks for the input!
Btw, what center you are going for? With R300 I would suggest getting KEF R200c. Sounds amazing with the R500's and I believe it will do so with R300 as well.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, the R200C is the obvious choice and definitely the one!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, the R200C is the obvious choice and definitely the one!
If you are sticking to 80% 2.1, why spend so much on a center speaker? Despite what the experts say I never find the center speaker that important. If I could go back in time I wouldn't have spent so much money just to get the so called timbre match one.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Well, maybe 20% for surround sound and 80% for bling factor? :p

So today I picked my son and headed to Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH to buy a pair of KEF R300's and an SVS SB1000 to replace my aged Hafler 200's and Polk bargain basement sub.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out quite that way.

It seems I walked in on Day One of the annual floor stock/demo unit clearance sale. No R300's, so for the full retail price of a pair of R300's I'm now the proud and thoroughly happy owner of a pair of R500's!!

And a new SVS SB1000.

w00t! :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, maybe 20% for surround sound and 80% for bling factor? :p

So today I picked my son and headed to Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH to buy a pair of KEF R300's and an SVS SB1000 to replace my aged Hafler 200's and Polk bargain basement sub.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out quite that way.

It seems I walked in on Day One of the annual floor stock/demo unit clearance sale. No R300's, so for the full retail price of a pair of R300's I'm now the proud and thoroughly happy owner of a pair of R500's!!

And a new SVS SB1000.

w00t! :D
I was going to tell you to go for the R500 that is a better deal but you seemed fixated on the 300 and I didn't want to spoil it. Congrats!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Right you are but given the overall cost of all the components I am needing to upgrade (future-proofing as much as I can along the way), the R500 just seemed out of reach. The dealer made it a "no brainer" for me.

Still fixated on R300 rear surrounds, unless another deal like that pops up somewhere on R500.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right you are but given the overall cost of all the components I am needing to upgrade (future-proofing as much as I can along the way), the R500 just seemed out of reach. The dealer made it a "no brainer" for me.

Still fixated on R300 rear surrounds, unless another deal like that pops up somewhere on R500.
Surrounds never do much for me as their functions are more for movie sound effects, so imo even the R100 will do very well. For me, it is all about get the best L/R I can afford. The R500 offers serious bass but they are basically 4 ohm speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Oh I agree, and the iQ10's I've been using for the past 22 months have been sufficient for acting as rear surrounds. For the limited amount of movie watching I've done I've not been unhappy, I just want a consistent quality for all 5 speakers for when I do watch DVD, Blueray and Netflix movies.

As stated I do listen to music in 2.1 stereo, and am blown away by how perfectly these R500's put out the lower frequencies. I think I can set the SVS SB1000 sub at 60-80Hz and be fine.

You may be right about the R100 being good enough for the rear surrounds. That way I could afford to give my son an SVS sub. I left him with the one I bought to "break it in" for me, but he texted me last night to say "someone stole it." I think I know who the thief is. ;)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a hobby and it's definitely not always about NEED, but rather about desires of the heart. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh I agree, and the iQ10's I've been using for the past 22 months have been sufficient for acting as rear surrounds. For the limited amount of movie watching I've done I've not been unhappy, I just want a consistent quality for all 5 speakers for when I do watch DVD, Blueray and Netflix movies.

As stated I do listen to music in 2.1 stereo, and am blown away by how perfectly these R500's put out the lower frequencies. I think I can set the SVS SB1000 sub at 60-80Hz and be fine.

You may be right about the R100 being good enough for the rear surrounds. That way I could afford to give my son an SVS sub. I left him with the one I bought to "break it in" for me, but he texted me last night to say "someone stole it." I think I know who the thief is. ;)
What's powering the R500 for you now, the 1912?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What's powering the R500 for you now, the 1912?
Yup. It'll be a few weeks before I can get the remaining speakers and upgrade the AVR and/or add amps, but it will happen. Clearly the AVR-1912 is a little underpowered at the volumes I'm listening at now that I have speakers worthy of the SPL. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. It'll be a few weeks before I can get the remaining speakers and upgrade the AVR and/or add amps, but it will happen. Clearly the AVR-1912 is a little underpowered at the volumes I'm listening at now that I have speakers worthy of the SPL. ;)
You will survive with the 1912 but be sure not to crank the volume higher than say -20 and check to see that it doesn't get too hot for prolonged use. The 4000 series should be able to handle 4 ohms load better and give you a couple more dB of SPL.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis