KEF Q900 Vs. PSB IMAGE T6 -dillema .

K

Kozikex

Audiophyte
Hi guys .
I would like to buy nice loud speakers and I can not decide which ones to choose . I read a lot about T6 they seem to have the best reviews and awards . KEF Q900 seem to be good too . Can anybody give me more insight

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What do you plan to use the speakers for? HT? Music?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Mostly music purpose .
They are a very versatile speaker being equally adept for music and HT. I own the previous generation model of teh Image T45s. They lack the extra driver that the T6 has so the bass isn't as strong as the T6s. However, that being said, I never feltt them lacking for bass for music. I run them full range and I've had them for close to 10 years now. I don't feel it necessary to upgrade. Whenusing them for HT, I let the sub handle the bass.

C

CadenceSound

Junior Audioholic
No matter how good the reviews are on paper, your ears will give you a more dependable truth.

Id go demo a set if you can, even if you can demo a lower end model, you will get an idea of the tonal properties the speaker has.

I know with Kefs, they have a nice wide sound-stage. So if your going to be placing the speakers far apart either from each other, or the listening position, Id take that into consideration.

Havnt played much with the PSB, but id imagine they are just as good too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've auditioned the PSB Imagine T. They sounded pretty good. But not any better than the Infinity P362. The PSB looked much better, though.

I haven't heard the KEF Q900. But if they sound like the KEF 201/2:D, then I think they will sound better than those PSB Image.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You're best bet is too audition as both are great speakers to see which fits your ear the best. Auditory memory is short and unless done on a side by side basis, doesn't mean much. Room acoustics have so much to do with how a speaker sounds that's even difficult to get accurate feelings from one store to another.

K

Kozikex

Audiophyte
Great :b .....now I'll go to listening them ....Thnx for You all for a good word:D

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Have not heard the KEFs but I own and love the PSBs; the soundstage may not be as wide as the KEFs but they work well even when spaced a farther apart than they should be. I have an old fashioned (and I mean really old) entertainment center that I plan on replacing since it forces me to place my T-6 speakers too far apart. The sound is still good.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
You may be able to come up with a new pair of Synchrony Ones for less than the Q900's MSRP if you can find a motivated dealer.

The Imagine T's sound great but the Synch Ones are in a different league. Give them a listen. Maybe with a good street price you'll be able to make the leap.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
One of these days if I can find a dealer that actually carries them.

But, yeah, I would take PSB Synchrony over KEF Q.
I would take KEF R over PSB Synchrony...........

To the OP;

The 1.5 - 2k / pr range is loaded with options. I recommend a pair of CBT36 Line Array kits, some assembly required, but you'll thank yourself afterwards.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would take KEF R over PSB Synchrony...........
Oh, yes, DenPureSound's almost favorite speakers.:D

I'm guessing that I will agree with you. If the KEF R is close to the KEF Reference sound quality, I would most likely agree. But I have not listened to the Synchrony.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
They make guitar solos sound so good they will make your nipples hard. You can hear fingers sliding across the strings and fret boards. The droning sounds of metal core pinch harmonics (that sound made popular by dimebag darryl of Pantera) hang in the air so thick it feels like you can reach out and touch them, but they are not harsh or honky the way speakers with horn tweeters sound to me.

Always listen to lots and lots of speakers before you pull the trigger, because it takes different strokes for different folks.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, yes, DenPureSound's almost favorite speakers.:D

I'm guessing that I will agree with you. If the KEF R is close to the KEF Reference sound quality, I would most likely agree. But I have not listened to the Synchrony.
At the very least they should be free of the issues I have with the q900s (A 5" magnesium cone instead of an 8" aluminum; probably a less skimped on crossover, and dual 8" woofers handling the lower mids and bass )

Not sure exactly how they'd compare to the synchrony but they're wayyyy better looking ;P

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
At the very least they should be free of the issues I have with the q900s (A 5" magnesium cone instead of an 8" aluminum;
What do you have against pattern control down lower?

I wish KEF would make a 10" or 12" Uni-Q. I'd like to see how their 1.5" dome with Tangerine phase plug compares to the Dual Concentric. IMO, the smaller Uni-Qs are better than the smaller Dual Concentrics today.

probably a less skimped on crossover,
The measurements in HT and Stereophile of the Q900 don't suggest much was skimped on there. The cabinet, OTOH...

and dual 8" woofers handling the lower mids and bass
That's reasonable. Also, the R-series has ports that can be plugged. That's my only real objection to the Q900's: one has to make two blanking plates to run them as sealed units.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What do you have against pattern control down lower?
The fact that the 8" al cone breakup is only ~15db down in level? Mg not only breaks up a bit higher than Al, but a 5" cone will break up higher as well compared to an 8".

As for pattern control, it can make differences but not necessarily preferred ones.

The measurements in HT and Stereophile of the Q900 don't suggest much was skimped on there.
Actually, they do. there's no notch filter on the mid which actually shows up in the frequency response as a very rough response in the breakup region. A lot of people who have heard the q900s have commented that they're "edgy" or "harsh" in the upper treble... even the stereophile reviewer said something along those lines.

Spookyfoot

Spookyfoot

Audioholic Intern
I recently picked up a pair of the Q900's for my main 2.1 stereo setup and I absolutely LOVE them! I have a nice large room (20'x30') w/ a vaulted ceiling that extends to 22 feet high and they absolutely fill the room with a great balance. I really don't even need the sub, the Q900s are handling the low end just fine. I also haven't noticed the high end harshness at all. I haven't heard the PSB's so can't say how the KEF's compare.

bru87tr

bru87tr

Audiophyte
I recently picked up a pair of the Q900's for my main 2.1 stereo setup and I absolutely LOVE them! I have a nice large room (20'x30') w/ a vaulted ceiling that extends to 22 feet high and they absolutely fill the room with a great balance. I really don't even need the sub, the Q900s are handling the low end just fine. I also haven't noticed the high end harshness at all. I haven't heard the PSB's so can't say how the KEF's compare.
I just picked these Q900's up real cheap used, they look brand new, had a driver issues which I fixed.

High end harshness is not a description I would use with these speakers.

They are so smooth and pleasant I was blown away the first time I heard them. I have Paradigms that have high end harshness and the Q900's do not exhibit that in the least.

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Hey Spookyfoot, is your avatar a pic of late night movie guru and raconteur Fritz the Night Owl?!!!

Many, many moons ago Fritz hepped me to Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder, which led me to Blue Note reissues, which led to a love of old-school jazz that bops on to this day. Cat literally changed my life. :cool:

(just noticed this is an old thread. comments on fritz, lee morgan, etc. still hold tho...) :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis