KEF Q100 New Lease On Life

Hi -Fi Haven

Hi -Fi Haven

Audioholic Intern
I bought my KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers about 4 or 5 years ago. The speakers are rated up to 40kHz. That stated even with the tweeters sounding rather bright, the Q100’s have always sounded rather compressed to me.
I connected my pair of Aperion Audio MKII Aluminum Ribbon Super Tweeters to the speakers and placed them on top of the speakers. The super tweeters are rated at up to 40kHz the same as the speakers.
When I played music the could immediately hear more openness in the high frequencies, and an increase in detail. I did not hear any compression in the highs that I had previously experienced. I also could hear a slight uptake in midrange detail also. Until I tried the Q100’s with the super tweeters I was planning to sell them. The super tweeters gave them the Q100’s a new lease on life!
To the trolls that will light up the comment section: I am NOT an acoustical engineer. This is NOT scientific data. I can not present you the exact scientific reasoning for what I observed. This is merely a non professional observation that might benefit another audio enthusiast.
E1A7532C-4BC2-475C-8834-926A9B4002B2.jpeg

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Do they have a return period?

And hate to ask, but did you disable the built in KEF tweeters?
If, no, you are hearing the combined effect of 2 tweeters playing, and the resultant comb filtering.
I know the Super tweeter is "More" of just the higher ranges, but still, those tweeters have a very slow roll off rate.

What settings are you using them at?

Last edited:
Hi -Fi Haven

Hi -Fi Haven

Audioholic Intern
No worries at all. The KEF speakers are back in their box stored away. My Aperion Audio Verus III Grand V5B speakers are connected back up. Had no comb filtering issues at all. The tweeters blended together excellently. I really like your dig at me with the return policy comment, great entertainment!

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
No worries at all. The KEF speakers are back in their box stored away. My Aperion Audio Verus III Grand V5B speakers are connected back up. Had no comb filtering issues at all. The tweeters blended together excellently. I really like your dig at me with the return policy comment, great entertainment!

It was an actual question............

What settings do you have them set at...level and crossover wise?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis