KEF LS50s @ 120watts?

M

mbutir

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I am just about to cave and buy a pair of KEF LS50s.
They are rated 50-100 Watts power @ 8 ohms.
Is there any harm in powering them with 120watts @ 8ohms?

I already have an amp laying around and wanted to be sure I will not cause any damage by powering them 20 more than what they are rated for.

Thanks,
Mike

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How loud will you want at what distance is a better consideration than using speaker max wattage specs which aren't all that useful. Is that a continuous or peak rating? Plus you can also put more power thru an amp than just a particular point on its THD curve chosen for spec....but I would avoid trying to give them that much continuous power in any case, but for peaks likely not an issue, many use amps double or triple the power the speaker's max continuous rating...

M

mbutir

Audiophyte
It is quite an old AV receiver, but quite respectable for its time.
Denon 3805
I am not too sure if the 120 watts is peak or continues.

What are you thoughts on using this as an amp?
I am using the speakers at my computer desk - so I will be sitting 1-2ft from each speaker.
3805.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 3808 myself. I'd question the speakers more than the amp, the 3805 can certainly put out a higher level than spec'd and are generally good amps (the spec is for a specific distortion spec, not max possible)....but being careful with the volume control is usually all the answer needed in that regard....but if you turn it up to "11" (i.e. the Spinal Tap reference) then all bets are off. The LS50s are not spl monsters, more suited to lower levels from what I've seen. You'll get better idea of the relationships of distance/power/sensitivity here http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The power ratings for a speaker are the most they can handle - and those ratings are greatly simplified.

The power ratings for an amp/receiver are the most it can produce - and those ratings are also greatly simplified.

The power those KEF speakers can handle will depend on frequency and duration along with power levels. They probably can't handle more than a few watts in the bass, but they can probably handle a few dozen watts somewhere in the midrange. Music is dynamic, which means the power coming from the amp is constantly going up and down, quite rapidly so. Instantaneous peaks can be quite a bit higher than average levels.

The Denon receiver can produce over 100 watts - but the amount it outputs is proportional to how loud you're playing it. At low volumes, it's probably not even outputting 1 watt. At high volumes, it can and will output dozens of watts.

Long story short, don't turn it up too loud - to the point where the speakers are straining and distorting - and you'll be fine with any amp/receiver and speaker combo. Turn it up past the point where the speakers are crying, and you'll risk blowing them, no matter what they and the amp/receiver are rated for.

For a desktop situation, where you're sitting just a couple of feet from the speakers, you'll probably never play it so loud that you ask your amp/receiver to produce more than a few watts max. So your combo will be fine.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've had LS50 & LS50 Meta hooked up to a 350w/ch amp. As long as I didn't crank up the pre-amp high, they were fine. Believe me, in my 12' x 14' room it was capable of going much louder than I EVER want to listen to.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you're sitting 2 feet from the speakers you won't be able to withstand 20 watts, much less 120. You'll be fine.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon 3805

What are you thoughts on using this as an amp?
I am using the speakers at my computer desk - so I will be sitting 1-2ft from each speaker.View attachment 49166
Beave knows his stuff, but he probably has not seen some of the 3805's bench test results.

Multiple bench tests in the past showed the AVR-3805 is as powerful as many two channel real power amplifiers rated 100-120 W 8 ohms, or about 150 W 4 ohms continuous (so called).

It was one of the very few AVR and power amps that passed AVTech's 1 ohm torture test. It has more than enough juice to power the LS50. Even in practice I happen to know this because I have done it. Attached photo is blurry, but you probably can recognize the 3805's gigantic remote.

Report (milleraudioresearch.com)

Just scroll down to see the 1 ohm test. So just relax and enjoy!

1626521339119.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon 3805
You have plenty of power. The 3805 has a very competent amp section. Just play nice with the volume knob and you're set.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The power ratings for an amp/receiver are the most it can produce - and those ratings are also greatly simplified.
The most it can produce at that particular spec? At least I can't think of amps/receivers that actually spec the most possible power it can output....just take a look at pretty much any bench test...

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I was greatly simplifying things, as I got the impression that the OP wasn't very familiar with audio specs and concepts. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was greatly simplifying things, as I got the impression that the OP wasn't very familiar with audio specs and concepts. :)
I was thinking it's important to point it out when he doesn't have that understanding of how ratings work....he might get something and turn it up to eleven! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
IDK an audio snuff forum just might work....the AV Disasters group on FB is often amusing!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis