Kef Iq90 upgraded vs new Q150

Nick425

Nick425

Audioholic Intern
Looking for some input, as I don't know what speakers to invest into. I am currently building a bedroom system and want a high quality sound system while still on budget. I want to continue to use and build on this setup for years as I can't buy the whole setup currently. I am looking at a budget of $500-$700 for two floor standers or bookshelf speakers.

But, I already have two 2010 IQ90 tower speakers from 2010 that are currently not working, the highs/tweeter on both speakers sound muddy and compressed, and it must be a blown crossover or tweeter/speaker itself. The treble sounds muddy and not clear on different receivers. I believe they got played to loudly for too long. I haven't listened to these for years but remember liking them alot, definately a different sound but felt like surround sound with even two speakers and had great soundstage. I kind of want to stick with Kef for this reason..but I have these speakers that either need fixed or upgraded and will cost money regardless, so:

OPTION 1 - Upgrade KEF IQ90 Crossovers and build IQ series. (2010)
There is a crossover upgrade on eBay for these speakers with general great reviews for $385. Apparently it makes the speaker sound a lot better. If i buy these and the problem is the tweeter, I can get the tweeters rebuilt for $150 each at Speakerexhange.com. A total of $685 for upgraded crossovers and rebuilt but different tweeters. I could then get Iq6C for a center and bookshelf IQ surrounds.

OPTION 2 - Q150 and Q series speakers (2020)
Sell KEF Iq90 for dirt cheap and buy Q150 bookshelf speakers. This would cost $350-$600.Get Q250c Center channel. Upgrade to 5.1 or atoms down the road. Atmos is something I could see myself wanting and this would be an open door for it.

I am looking for vocals and soundstage over low end bass as I live in an apartment and will not be running these with a sub (yet). I can't have anything super loud, but I do want a capable speaker if I move and have more space down the road. What would be the better investment and long term upgrade? I am leaning towards rebuilding IQ90 because I have them, but would this be a waste and has technology come that far in 10 years?

I currently have a Denon AVR790 but will be upgrading soon to a Denon AVR-X2700H or Denon AVR-S960 or Yamaha RX-6VA (gonna wait a few months to see if hdmi 2.1 bug gets fixed)

What would you do? What speaker would I most likely want to keep and have for the next 10+ years?

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Just my thoughts you want to take a speaker that retailed for $1,200 and you want to put $685 into it more than half its value maybe I'm just wrong but like putting lipstick on a pig still a pig I personally think based on my thoughts time for new speakers

And again I might be wrong but I don't think option 2 sounds like an upgrade to me either

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I am looking for vocals and soundstage over low end bass as I live in an apartment and will not be running these with a sub (yet). I can't have anything super loud, but I do want a capable speaker if I move and have more space down the road. What would be the better investment and long term upgrade?

Nick425

Nick425

Audioholic Intern
Just my thoughts you want to take a speaker that retailed for $1,200 and you want to put $685 into it more than half its value maybe I'm just wrong but like putting lipstick on a pig still a pig I personally think based on my thoughts time for new speakers

And again I might be wrong but I don't think option 2 sounds like an upgrade to me either
Yeah that definately makes sense. Just hard to see them sitting there not working.

I will take a look into SVS prime towers. I guess I am in that price point considering 685 into a used tower.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you need to lose the vague description like "vocals and soundstage over low end bass"....wtf does that even mean? I'd worry more about how I can position speakers in a bedroom for optimal sound than the speakers themselves to start.....where are you able to put speakers? Many bedrooms (especially if WAF is involved) can make this a big mixed bag :)

Nick425

Nick425

Audioholic Intern
I think you need to lose the vague description like "vocals and soundstage over low end bass"....wtf does that even mean? I'd worry more about how I can position speakers in a bedroom for optimal sound than the speakers themselves to start.....where are you able to put speakers? Many bedrooms (especially if WAF is involved) can make this a big mixed bag :)
In my experience listening to speakers, some are more clear and crisp with vocals/dialogue and better for treble. I am looking for a good speaker for dialogue and putting sound in correct places. I haven't listened to a TON of high end home theater speakers so maybe my words and outlook is a bit different. Im just not looking for a boomy flat speaker that is hard to hear. Maybe that doesn't even happen with most high end speakers, but I've definately noticed some sound alot better in the treble portion of the speaker and I am looking for that!

Also alot of the reviews I read online, not here, seem to always list a "con" as lacking in low end loud bass. While I do like low end bass alot, Im not basing this speaker purchase solely on that. Id rather have tight and accurate over room shaking, I can get a sub later for that.

Im more into car audio and have sound deadened/insulated cars and know how big of a difference acoustics can make. I am definately looking into that and will work on proper setup and acoustics for HT

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In my experience listening to speakers, some are more clear and crisp with vocals/dialogue and better for treble. I am looking for a good speaker for dialogue and putting sound in correct places. I haven't listened to a TON of high end home theater speakers so maybe my words and outlook is a bit different. Im just not looking for a boomy flat speaker that is hard to hear. Maybe that doesn't even happen with most high end speakers, but I've definately noticed some sound alot better in the treble portion of the speaker and I am looking for that!

Also alot of the reviews I read online, not here, seem to always list a "con" as lacking in low end loud bass. While I do like low end bass alot, Im not basing this speaker purchase solely on that. Id rather have tight and accurate over room shaking, I can get a sub later for that.

Im more into car audio and have sound deadened/insulated cars and know how big of a difference acoustics can make. I am definately looking into that and will work on proper setup and acoustics for HT
That helps somewhat. I've never owned a boomy flat speaker.....got an example of one? How about any other speakers you've listened to (aside from the KEF) that fits your goals?

K

kini

Full Audioholic
IMO the entry level Kefs have a very wide sound stage and very good vocals with a nice high end that is clear without being harsh. However everyone's preferences are different. At the sale price I think the Q150/350 are a great deal. At full MSRP probably not so much.

If you buy from someplace like Crutchfield you can try different BS speakers for up to 60 days with a flat $10 return fee.

If you do end up with the current Kef Q series the Q650c is definitely worth the $100 over the Q250c.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
SVS gives you if in the USA a free 45 day listening trial. Try that. Oh, SVS has outlet Prime Pinnacle and just Prime towers in outlet. Also comes with 5 year warranty. Just throwing chum on the water to consider!

Nick425

Nick425

Audioholic Intern
That helps somewhat. I've never owned a boomy flat speaker.....got an example of one? How about any other speakers you've listened to (aside from the KEF) that fits your goals?
I kind of think the polk cs10 is a little flat and boomy but could be my setup. I haven't listened to a ton of high end speakers. I really like the Polk LSIM series, Klipsch seem a little bright from some towers I've heard, and I like Kef IQ speakers and the Q series in best buy sounded good too.

Thanks for the responses guys. Still looking within my budget but if I can get something for a decent deal I always want to spend less money. After spending time on websites for speakers I realized its easy to go way over budget.

A couple of other speakers I have been looking at are Elacs Reference and Emotiva Airmotiv series which Im thinking could save me a few bucks but still go after what Im looking for. The SVS speakers I am considering too but I think Emotiva would come close for a bit less.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your budget is fairly limited in any case.

Aren't too many Polk speakers I'd seriously consider, and that CS-10 looks lackluster (no personal experience) but center speaker designs like that come handicapped, too.

Does your local BB have SVS offerings? I'd check those out (or take advantage of SVS' awesome in-home trial offers if you deal direct with SVS). The Elac DBR62 has been getting some very good reviews/comments. Not a fan of Emotiva but a guy I know loves his Airmotiv speakers, altho he lives far away and I've never heard them but he seems to have reasonably good taste :)

Have you actually tested your old speakers to make sure there's a real problem with a damaged driver or such?

Nick425

Nick425

Audioholic Intern
Does your local BB have SVS offerings? I'd check those out (or take advantage of SVS' awesome in-home trial offers if you deal direct with SVS). The Elac DBR62 has been getting some very good reviews/comments. Not a fan of Emotiva but a guy I know loves his Airmotiv speakers, altho he lives far away and I've never heard them but he seems to have reasonably good taste :)

Have you actually tested your old speakers to make sure there's a real problem with a damaged driver or such?
Local best buy or anything similar is 2+ hours. Trying out speakers before I buy probably won't be a possibility for a while.

And to my knowledge of testing speakers, I have tested the actual speakers themselves and they all seem to work and make noise. I want to say the problem is in the crossover, but merely a guess. I am still keeping an eye out for used IQ crossovers on eBay to bring them back to life during my hunt for new speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also don't live near anything and generally use internet direct sources. RSL is another that does in-home free trials. In-home is a much better way than a BB sales floor to audition speakers, too.

Hard to know from your description what may be off/wrong with your old speakers, tho....

Nick425

Nick425

Audioholic Intern
Old Kefs ended up having blown tweeters. I sold them to a guy in town that fixes speakers and he put a different brand driver in. But wanted to try something new..

So I got some brand new Wharfedale diamond 225 in a craigslist find shortly after and am pretty happy with them so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis