Kef Ci 200qt lack of bass

L

Lord Reid

Audiophyte
Hi
just bought and installed pair of Kef Ci200qt ceiling mount speakers. Running off a Sonos multi room amp. Wired each speaker with their own 12v source, each speaker then wired direct to amp with music detection set to auto on both. All working, speakers move when music is played but really disappointed with quality. Really lack depth, very little bass, even my wife who's not into audio kit described them as tinny! Is it because I haven't wire them using a master and slave, don't see how. Or maybe because room is new and awaiting furniture. Don't think it's the amp, got sonos running in other rooms through Missions and sounds great. Thought I'd got a bargain paying £600 for the pair, dissapointed!! Any ideas? Thanks

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
have some IQ3s

I know it's hardly a good comparison, but they also sound "small"...

B

blueone

Audiophyte
You might be experiencing some sort of cancellation effects from the position of the speakers in the room. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose and deal with this properly is to move the speakers around. Even a few centimeters may have a large impact.

L

Lord Reid

Audiophyte
Think the builder my feint if I suggest cutting more holes in his new ceiling! Another thought, speakers installed in ceiling with attic space above not between two floors. Perhaps I should try boxing them in?

Pure_Brew

Pure_Brew

Enthusiast
Have you tried reversing the phase of one of the speakers.

manlystanley

manlystanley

Audioholic Intern
Hi
just bought and installed pair of Kef Ci200qt ceiling mount speakers. Running off a Sonos multi room amp. Wired each speaker with their own 12v source, each speaker then wired direct to amp with music detection set to auto on both. All working, speakers move when music is played but really disappointed with quality. Really lack depth, very little bass, even my wife who's not into audio kit described them as tinny! Is it because I haven't wire them using a master and slave, don't see how. Or maybe because room is new and awaiting furniture. Don't think it's the amp, got sonos running in other rooms through Missions and sounds great. Thought I'd got a bargain paying £600 for the pair, dissapointed!! Any ideas? Thanks

A couple of things to think of:

1.) When I put in my wall/ceiling speakers, I had the same thing. So, I built a box around the box and put insulation inside of the box. Huge help. The problem is that the bass is not going out into the room.

2.) What is difference in the rooms? I'm fighting a real bad bass reflection problem in my listening room. That will kill your bass quickly.

Best Regards,
Stan

Best Regards,
Stan

L

Lord Reid

Audiophyte
I have tried to swap the phase on one and honestly was no major difference. I'm going for the building the box idea. I let you know how I get on. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have tried to swap the phase on one and honestly was no major difference. I'm going for the building the box idea. I let you know how I get on. Thanks.
I think you are expecting too much.

I don't care what a speaker manufacturer says, but a ceiling speaker is not a Hi-Fi device. Those speakers are down 6db at 50 Hz ans so will not produce much bass.

If it is good sound you are after you need free standing speakers or in walls.

In my book ceiling speakers are for background, period.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis