Kef 104/2 vs NHT Classic 4

G

glfnboomer

Audiophyte
Good morning,

I'm trying to build my first system and I've been accumulating some used gear to build my system. Moving to a new house soon with a big room to fill - 25' x 30' with 30ft ceilings. I'm likely going to put more speakers into the space before too long but currently am looking for the front towers in my system. I've acquired a Marantz SR7005 that's never even been plugged in - and now I'm looking for some towers to match.

I've found deals on Kef 104/2 and NHT Classic 4s in my area for nearly the same price (the NHTs actually come with some Classic 2 bookshelves for about the same price as just the KEFs). Thoughts on the difference between these two speakers for starting my system? These appear to be the newer KEF 104/2 which are bi-wirable. I don't have as much info on the NHT Classic 4s. I'm a little worried the KEFs may need some work on them soon given their age and the propensity for maintenance on the ferrofluid/woofer rings, etc. But there simply isn't as much info out about the NHTs.

I listen to a lot of acoustic/folk/jazz/Americana music - nothing super bass heavy really, but some lighter rock from time to time.

Thanks for the help!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard either, but the 104/2 has a unique design and was really well received back in the day. I'd love to check a pair out sometime. They're older speakers tho and a lot of what I see on the used market are refurbed or in need of it. I'd say a thorough inspection and audition are a must if considering a pair.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would tend toward the NHT speakers. NHT usually aims for a fairly neutral sound, so I think they are a safer bet. They are a tad insensitive though, so they aren't a great solution for head-banging. I think for the type of music you listen to, they should be adequate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis