AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This forum is mainly about home theater and audio. But once in a while we do get Karaoke questions.

Karaoke is probably my 2nd favorite hobby behind Home Theater/Audio.

So maybe this thread will be helpful to those people looking into Karaoke. :D

I use my RBH SVT towers/RBH SA-500DSP/Denon AVR-5308 in my family room for Karaoke.

The secret weapon is the $200 Yamaha Stereo Mixer with COMPRESSION feature.

Must have that Compression feature (those YELLOW knobs). That way, even if people do bad things like scream into the Mic, the Volume Level is Reduced and won't Harm your speakers!

So the Compression Feature prevents amp CLIPPING and the bad distortion.

The Compression Feature will also raise the volume level so you don't have to scream into the Mic, which is good for people with a weaker vocal.

Connection:
YouTube Karaoke (Your Computer or Karaoke Source) --> HDMI Out --> HDMI Splitter --> A & B

A. HDMI 1 goes to AVR as "HTPC"
B. HDMI 2 goes to HDMI-to-Component Video + L/R Stereo RCA Converter Box --> A & B

A. Component Video goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Video
B. L/R Stereo RCA goes to the Yamaha Mixer for Sound --> Yamaha Mixer Audio L/R Outputs goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Audio

The Microphone connects to the Yamaha Mixer.

Another note: If your AVR gets hot like my Denon, better use some fans to cool the AVR. Even with the Compression Feature, the karaoke will use some power and the AVR will definitely heat up. So get some FANS (like 120mm fans).

In the past I've also used the Denon X3100 and AVR-3312 AVRs for Karaoke to hook up with the Yamaha Mixer. Without the fans, the Denon's will SHUT DOWN EVERY TIME after about 15 minutes! But with 2 or 3 120mm fans, they NEVER shut down.

Last edited:
H

Hokies83

Audioholic
So I need the 10
Channel thing + a mic + a pc? YouTube via Apple TV won’t replace the pc?
Thx!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I need the 10
Channel thing + a mic + a pc? YouTube via Apple TV won’t replace the pc?
Thx!
Apple TV can replace the PC. You would need to output Video and Audio out of the Apple TV (HDMI or Video + Audio).

What I have is just one example.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just to update my Karaoke system, I have replaced the Denon AVR-5308 with the Yamaha RX-A3080. So now the AVR and Mixer are both Yamaha. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's kind of slow around here. :D

C

Chiguinerdo

Audiophyte
Just to update my Karaoke system, I have replaced the Denon AVR-5308 with the Yamaha RX-A3080. So now the AVR and Mixer are both Yamaha. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's kind of slow around here. :D
Did you have to put fans as well?

C

Chiguinerdo

Audiophyte
I am wondering is it much to ask to send a picture of your setup?

Also, is there a manual like MIXER FOR DUMMIES?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I too went down the Karaoke road a couple of times. The first was a CD based player with some cheap mics. We did it with two other couples who are very good friends. After a few refreshments, to loosen up the vocal cord of course, we all had a good time.

Sometime later the group decided the CD based system was limiting song selection and spontaneity; and one lady in particular (who sang weekly in a Choir which did performances half a dozen times a year to audiences of up to about 1,000) wanted better quality sound for her voice. As I am the resident geek of the group, I was selected (pushed) to figure out how to make this system happen. As each couple was to host Karaoke Dinners, the system has to be portable, and able to hook into various home stereo systems. (We shared the base costs amongst the 3 couples. So there was "budget" pressure to get it done but keep costs down. I hated that as I like a bit of a free hand with system design.)

My solution was very similar to AcuDefTechGuy but with a Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB Mixer. (About $155 US at the time.) As there could be a few refreshments involved I decide to purchase a set of 4 wireless Mics that had decent reviews. (We couldn't have folks tripping all over those cables, and twisting them up handing off Mics to each other. Safety First!) I found using the "Low Cut" filter was critical in preventing feedback loops when Singers turned their "Open Mic" towards the speakers.

I used an older Laptop of mine as the nerve center with DJ/KJ Software, and on board & USB connected libraries of tunes. I typically used the Mixer's USB Output => PC to get the Microphone sound into the Laptop and used it to blend with the Tunes before outputting via a cable splitter into video for the TV, and analogue (RCA Cables) to the "Home Stereo". With PC based tunes, selection was quick but after a few refreshments, the "crowd" often couldn't figure out what they wanted up next, so I ended up being the KJ (what a term) and sort of a Name Sing that Tune evening evolved. I never got to printing a list of tunes of my Karaoke Library. (My Bad) Of course setting up and operating the gear was my job, as it was well beyond the others (especially after a few refreshments!:p)

After only one cycle of evenings and a second one at our place (about 4 in total -months apart as I remember), it was getting near Christmas time and other things became top of mind, and the gear - now mostly forgotten - sits in storage in my "Man Cave" - as my wife calls it. (Junk Room is what it's become, as half of it is still full of clutter with stuff "temporarily" stored there from our major Reno a couple years ago...) The Lady who wanted better sound could never quantify want she wanted added / subtracted to her voice; so I think that dampened her enthusiasm. I suggested she come over to our place and I'd setup the gear and we could tweak the settings and hopefully come up with a sound she liked. That would become a base line EQ just for her. But that never came to pass and a couple of times since, she's suggest we look at more dedicated gear for Karaoke to eliminate the Home Stereos, as she somehow thinks the cheap Karaoke/PA gear she's seen at a local Pub would sound better. But I don't think the rest of the crowd concurs.

In hindsight, we should have spent more time on optimizing the EQ settings. I typically try for "Flat" but you can do amazing things with one of these mixers. It's certainly not my main HT system that's the problem (especially now that I've upgraded it all since the Karaoke days), and I think the dedicated Karaoke Gear purchased was just fine.

Maybe I should dig it out and try setting it up again with a newer Laptop. At our house I could just run it all from a Laptop into my Denon AVRX-4400H and let it split it into video and audio as I have always feeding the TV in that room. Simpler is usually better.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am wondering is it much to ask to send a picture of your setup?

Also, is there a manual like MIXER FOR DUMMIES?

Top Left: HTPC (silver case)
Middle Right: Yamaha MG12 Mixer (replaced Yamaha MG10)
Bottom Right: Yamaha RX-A3080 (replaced Denon AVR-5308)

As for manuals/instructions, what I posted on the 1 post in this thread is what I do.

My RX-A3080 is set to PURE DIRECT. When I used the Denon AVR-5308, I also had to use PURE DIRECT or DIRECT. Anything other than DIRECT/PURE DIRECT will cause a DELAY in sound, which sounds weird.

My Karaoke PC is Windows 7. When I tried using Windows 10 (all my 14 other PCs are Windows 10), somehow the Karaoke sound did not work. I couldn't figure it out why. So I went back to Windows 7 just for this PC for my Karaoke. :D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Top Left: PC
Middle Right: Yamaha Mixer Model: MG12 (MUST have that COMPRESSION feature - Yellow Knobs)
Bottom Right: Yamaha RX-A3080

Nice setup, that's those RBH speakers your going to sell me when you get the new line of RBH speakers. ;):D:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice setup, that's those RBH speakers your going to sell me when you get the new line of RBH speakers. ;):D:p
In your dreams, Mike. In your dreams. But your dreams are currently on some BOATS along with your Yamaha RX-A4A. :D

C

Chiguinerdo

Audiophyte
I too went down the Karaoke road a couple of times. The first was a CD based player with some cheap mics. We did it with two other couples who are very good friends. After a few refreshments, to loosen up the vocal cord of course, we all had a good time.

Sometime later the group decided the CD based system was limiting song selection and spontaneity; and one lady in particular (who sang weekly in a Choir which did performances half a dozen times a year to audiences of up to about 1,000) wanted better quality sound for her voice. As I am the resident geek of the group, I was selected (pushed) to figure out how to make this system happen. As each couple was to host Karaoke Dinners, the system has to be portable, and able to hook into various home stereo systems. (We shared the base costs amongst the 3 couples. So there was "budget" pressure to get it done but keep costs down. I hated that as I like a bit of a free hand with system design.)

My solution was very similar to AcuDefTechGuy but with a Behringer 12 Xenyx 1202FX Mixer. (About $155 US at the time.) As there could be a few refreshments involved I decide to purchase a set of 4 wireless Mics that had decent reviews. (We couldn't have folks tripping all over those cables, and twisting them up handing off Mics to each other. Safety First!) I found using the "Low Cut" filter was critical in preventing feedback loops when Singers turned their "Open Mic" towards the speakers.

I used an older Laptop of mine as the nerve center with DJ/KJ Software, and on board & USB connected libraries of tunes. I typically used the Mixer's USB Output => PC to get the Microphone sound into the Laptop and used it to blend with the Tunes before outputting via a cable splitter into video for the TV, and analogue (RCA Cables) to the "Home Stereo". With PC based tunes, selection was quick but after a few refreshments, the "crowd" often couldn't figure out what they wanted up next, so I ended up being the KJ (what a term) and sort of a Name Sing that Tune evening evolved. I never got to printing a list of tunes of my Karaoke Library. (My Bad) Of course setting up and operating the gear was my job, as it was well beyond the others (especially after a few refreshments!:p)

After only one cycle of evenings and a second one at our place (about 4 in total -months apart as I remember), it was getting near Christmas time and other things became top of mind, and the gear - now mostly forgotten - sits in storage in my "Man Cave" - as my wife calls it. (Junk Room is what it's become, as half of it is still full of clutter with stuff "temporarily" stored there from our major Reno a couple years ago...) The Lady who wanted better sound could never quantify want she wanted added / subtracted to her voice; so I think that dampened her enthusiasm. I suggested she come over to our place and I'd setup the gear and we could tweak the settings and hopefully come up with a sound she liked. That would become a base line EQ just for her. But that never came to pass and a couple of times since, she's suggest we look at more dedicated gear for Karaoke to eliminate the Home Stereos, as she somehow thinks the cheap Karaoke/PA gear she's seen at a local Pub would sound better. But I don't think the rest of the crowd concurs.

In hindsight, we should have spent more time on optimizing the EQ settings. I typically try for "Flat" but you can do amazing things with one of these mixers. It's certainly not my main HT system that's the problem (especially now that I've upgraded it all since the Karaoke days), and I think the dedicated Karaoke Gear purchased was just fine.

Maybe I should dig it out and try setting it up again with a newer Laptop. At our house I could just run it all from a Laptop into my Denon AVRX-4400H and let it split it into video and audio as I have always feeding the TV in that room. Simpler is usually better.

Thanks for your feedback Jim, i thought about that too, if it is too complex people start to complain for whatever reason they find since we are geeks and bullying start to flow....jajajaja

C

Chiguinerdo

Audiophyte

Top Left: HTPC (silver case)
Middle Right: Yamaha MG12 Mixer (replaced Yamaha MG10)
Bottom Right: Yamaha RX-A3080 (replaced Denon AVR-5308)

As for manuals/instructions, what I posted on the 1 post in this thread is what I do.

My RX-A3080 is set to PURE DIRECT. When I used the Denon AVR-5308, I also had to use PURE DIRECT or DIRECT. Anything other than DIRECT/PURE DIRECT will cause a DELAY in sound, which sounds weird.

My Karaoke PC is Windows 7. When I tried using Windows 10 (all my 14 other PCs are Windows 10), somehow the Karaoke sound did not work. I couldn't figure it out why. So I went back to Windows 7 just for this PC for my Karaoke. :D

Thanks for all your help AcuDefTechGuy!!

Why did you upgrade mixer from 10 ch to 12 ch? or there are other toys integrated as well...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for all your help AcuDefTechGuy!!

Why did you upgrade mixer from 10 ch to 12 ch? or there are other toys integrated as well...
Better sound quality. The MG12 is just more professional and higher sound quality - a lot less NOISE, Balanced XLR, etc.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

I must apologize. After reading you posts I pulled out the Mixer and realized it was a Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB Mixer, and not a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX Mixer. I just edited my prior post. There was no intent to mislead. Actually the QX1202USB is slightly more capable than the 1202FX.

Now that I've got it out I'll try to figure out the best way to connect it for my situation. Thanks for the prompt. ;)

S

smokarz

Audiophyte
Hi everyone, glad to find this forum.

I like to add karaoke to my existing system, and like to ask a few questions from you experts.

This is my current system: Pre/Pro, Emotiva amp, HTPC, and HDTV. Youtube will be the karaoke source.

I guess I need the following:

* Mixer (Is the Yamaha MG12 still the recommended mixer, any other solid choices?)
* MIC (Any recommendation? SHURE? I guess I will want wireless mic)

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi everyone, glad to find this forum.

I like to add karaoke to my existing system, and like to ask a few questions from you experts.

This is my current system: Pre/Pro, Emotiva amp, HTPC, and HDTV. Youtube will be the karaoke source.

I guess I need the following:

* Mixer (Is the Yamaha MG12 still the recommended mixer, any other solid choices?)
* MIC (Any recommendation? SHURE? I guess I will want wireless mic)

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks
I did some karaoke the other day. The latest Karaoke song I made and added to my system was "Where Is My Mind". :D

I would buy the Yamaha MG12 mixer if I were buying today.

I use the wired Mic. I thought about Wireless, but nothing beats wired connection. :D

Anything else? Do you have the connection part down?

Does your HTPC have DUAL HDMI Outputs? If not, you will need a HDMI Splitter.

Connection:
YouTube Karaoke (Your Computer or Karaoke Source) --> HDMI Out --> HDMI Splitter --> A & B

A. HDMI 1 goes to AVR as "HTPC"
B. HDMI 2 goes to HDMI-to-Component Video + L/R Stereo RCA Converter Box --> A & B

A. Component Video goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Video
B. L/R Stereo RCA goes to the Yamaha Mixer for Sound --> Yamaha Mixer Audio L/R Outputs goes to AVR as "Karaoke" for Audio

The Microphone connects to the Yamaha Mixer.

Microphone: Behringer XM1800S:

The tricky part is connecting the L/R Stereo RCA OUTPUT from the Yamaha MG12 to the AVR's ANALOG L/R Stereo INPUT. You have to configure this in the AVR to go along with your "KARAOKE VIDEO".

Also, another weird thing I could NOT figure out is that when I changed my PC"s Windows 7 to Windows 10, I could not get any audio output for Karaoke. So after spending hours on it, I went back to Windows 7. It might be something simple, but I am not willing to spend a lot more hours trying to figure it out since everything works great.

Oh, another thing, put your AVR in Pure Direct or Direct Mode to avoid Sound Delay.

Last edited:
S

smokarz

Audiophyte
Thanks AcuDefTechGuy

Any suggestions for the wired mic? I agreed with you, sometimes old school tech is best. I still got ethernet wires ran to PCs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis