Kaleidescape Movie Player/ Server Goes out of Business

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Kaleidescape has been around for a lot of years. Their price was always outrageous. Well, according to the owner, they just ran out of money (good reason). I guess they just aren't getting enough millionaires & billionaires any longer. They are looking for a new buyer. I know if I was a buyer, I'd offer them pennies on the dollar. Meanwhile, there is going to be a lot of pissed off customers going after them. I actually thought that I didn't understand why they didn't go bankrupt years ago. They really milked this market all the way. I am not surprised at all. Does anyone want to buy them?:

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/kaleidescape-shuts-down-1201842027/

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You're off by a couple of weeks...

Kaleidescape has new funding and is back in business.

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_is_back_interview_with_ceo

While your opinion is that they milked others, I have been horribly disappointed with almost every other movie playback device on the market to date. They require a great deal of continue interaction with the end user, and often have technical glitches that can be difficult to overcome.

From day one, Kaleidescape has worked to be a legal option for movie playback that is drop dead easy to utilize. Plug it into your network, plug in HDMI, and enjoy. The interface has been emulated by others, but is almost always a underpowered turd when compared to the actual unit.

I wish I had the money to throw at such a product, but I'm certainly in the list of those that don't have the type of cash, and I do have the free time to use other options. But, that doesn't mean I don't respect the significant product that Kaleidescape is, and has been, for many years.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
You're off by a couple of weeks...

Kaleidescape has new funding and is back in business.

http://www.cepro.com/article/kaleidescape_is_back_interview_with_ceo

While your opinion is that they milked others, I have been horribly disappointed with almost every other movie playback device on the market to date. They require a great deal of continue interaction with the end user, and often have technical glitches that can be difficult to overcome.

From day one, Kaleidescape has worked to be a legal option for movie playback that is drop dead easy to utilize. Plug it into your network, plug in HDMI, and enjoy. The interface has been emulated by others, but is almost always a underpowered turd when compared to the actual unit.

I wish I had the money to throw at such a product, but I'm certainly in the list of those that don't have the type of cash, and I do have the free time to use other options. But, that doesn't mean I don't respect the significant product that Kaleidescape is, and has been, for many years.
FYI: Along the way, they have been sued for copy right infringement and worse. I think they were lucky to survive that. I had not heard that they got new money to allow hem to continue. Only time will tell how that works out for them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, they have been sued because they are the only company out there who is actually protecting our rights under 'Fair Use' law to make reasonable backups and usage of the content we are purchasing on DVD and Blu-ray Disc over the years.

While many have chosen torrents and to rent and rip, it has been Kaleidescape and owners of their products which have worked within their legal rights to instantly play and distribute content throughout their home.

Yes, there are many solutions which are cheaper, but almost none which would be deemed legal (unfortunately) and none at all which have actual support from a company and a properly powered design which can handle full Blu-ray content in a seamless manner.

Hey, I get it, I use my DuneHD because I don't have the budget to drop thousands on a Kaleidescape, but I don't knock those who can afford it, and I have had a chance to use the product. It's a class above any 'good enough' product out there. They are the gold standard, and you better believe that the rest may be playing catch up, but they aren't doing a very good job.

Until someone offers a product which can come close to matching Kaleidescape, I will sing their praises as the best video server product on the market for those who can afford it. For all eternity I will also praise them for their work to ensure our rights under Fair Use to enjoy the content we purchase as we choose to within our homes.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Yes, they have been sued because they are the only company out there who is actually protecting our rights under 'Fair Use' law to make reasonable backups and usage of the content we are purchasing on DVD and Blu-ray Disc over the years.

That's great, but the fact that they almost went bankrupt, there seems to be less people who can afford this at around 5K. Also, as you know Torrents are not legal. That's why they are regularly shut down. Then a month later, they resurface again with a different name. Its the ol' Cat & Mouse game. The same is true or Macrovision. They have had various re- incarnations of it to prevent people from being able to record discs. I still enjoy my Laser Disc players (2 Pioneers) and a large collection of discs. Laser has NO Macrovision ever. The recordings are great. The other big advantage to Laser Disc is that many of the Laser Disc versions have much more content then their DVD or Blu Ray equivalents. example: I have the Laser Disc of Prince's Greatest Hits. Fantastic. The DVD & Blue Ray version is missing many songs. They stripped it down because they can.

While many have chosen torrents and to rent and rip, it has been Kaleidescape and owners of their products which have worked within their legal rights to instantly play and distribute content throughout their home.

Yes, there are many solutions which are cheaper, but almost none which would be deemed legal (unfortunately) and none at all which have actual support from a company and a properly powered design which can handle full Blu-ray content in a seamless manner.

Hey, I get it, I use my DuneHD because I don't have the budget to drop thousands on a Kaleidescape, but I don't knock those who can afford it, and I have had a chance to use the product. It's a class above any 'good enough' product out there. They are the gold standard, and you better believe that the rest may be playing catch up, but they aren't doing a very good job.

Until someone offers a product which can come close to matching Kaleidescape, I will sing their praises as the best video server product on the market for those who can afford it. For all eternity I will also praise them for their work to ensure our rights under Fair Use to enjoy the content we purchase as we choose to within our homes.

Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby

Audioholic Intern
It brings back memories of Escient controlled Sony DVD players. The Kscape also offered a bit for bit recording of CD's with an onscreen interface that made sense. It was/is cool.

G

Gazoo

Audiophyte
Thought I’d update this old post. Kaleidescape was out of business for about 10 days. Without too much detail, it was due to studio rights and fees which were later renegotiated. Kaleidescape is alive and well and growing fast. Great content from major studios like Disney, Lionsgate, 20th Century Fox as well as an online store provides unmatched video quality and lossless audio. A well designed home theater with first class projector and sound system is wasted by an inferior “4k” download from an AppleTV or prime etc. see for yourself.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I would love to add a Kaleidoscope player to my system. They are slightly higher cost then I'm willing to spend but I see the benefits in owning one. I like the best quality possible and I think they are that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis