Justice R G B died, very sad

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
By the way, "Republic" and "Democracy" are not opposing terms. A republic merely denotes that the country has no monarchy. Canada is not a republic, because it is a constitutional monarchy.
I guess this means I’m not going to get you to read the Federalist Papers then....

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I guess this means I’m not going to get you to read the Federalist Papers then....
If somewhere amongst the essays constituting the Federalist Papers, one of the authors wished to redefine the meaning of the term "republic", that doesn't necessarily make them right. Regardless, a republic can be democratic, completely non-democratic, or somewhere in between.

I don't think it would be radical for me to suggest that the United States is, in fact, a representative democracy....and a republic.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, today I got a history lesson this morning about the Supreme Court.

In election years, 1 Jan to the election in November, there has been 13 vacancies.
From 1 Jul to election there were 4 such vacancies leaving 9 between 1 Jan and 1 Jul.
Of those 9 vacancies a nominee was put forth and 8 were confirmed, one was not acted upon.

Of the 4 vacancies after 1 July, 3 replacement jurists were not put forth by the then president: Lincoln, Adams and Eisenhower. The 4th, Fillmore did put forth a nominee but the Senate did not take it up.

So, indeed there is precedence but not in law.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
If somewhere amongst the essays constituting the Federalist Papers, one of the authors wished to redefine the meaning of the term "republic", that doesn't necessarily make them right. Regardless, a republic can be democratic, completely non-democratic, or somewhere in between.

I don't think it would be radical for me to suggest that the United States is, in fact, a representative democracy....and a republic.
I think it could be better stated that a Republic is a Decratic form of government but a Republic cannot be a Democracy. This is a nuanced topic to say the least.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think it could be better stated that a Republic is a Decratic form of government but a Republic cannot be a Democracy. This is a nuanced topic to say the least.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Perhaps you could give us your definition (or an example) of a democracy.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Perhaps you could give us your definition (or an example) of a democracy.
A democracy is a government represented by the common people. A republic is a representative government whose representatives are elected by the people. I hope you can grasp the difference.

Sadly we forgot long ago that our Constitution spells out limits on government and not the people.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
A democracy is a government represented by the common people. A republic is a representative government whose representatives are elected by the people. I hope you can grasp the difference.

Sadly we forgot long ago that our Constitution spells out limits on government and not the people.
I understand what you are saying now, but I must say, you have a pretty strict definition of what a democracy is. Electing representatives is still democratic. And, a democracy is not simply defined by a country's electoral process.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I understand what you are saying now, but I must say, you have a pretty strict definition of what a democracy is. Electing representatives is still democratic. And, a democracy is not simply defined by a country's electoral process.
No it isn’t, we have a Democratically elected Republic. I guess the major difference is a true democracy could decide by simple vote that they no longer want a constitution or to be a republic that is not possible with our system. Being democratic doesn’t equate to being a democracy, a very narrow definition of a democracy would really be an anarchy. That’s the real problem with the skateboarders in Seattle, in reality they want an anarchist communism government. The real problem is the LBGTQ community doesn’t understand that once they get communism, communism demands production in the LBGTQ community isn’t capable of that. Protesting for their own demise. Sorry, rabbit trail

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
No it isn’t, we have a Democratically elected Republic. I guess the major difference is a true democracy could decide by simple vote that they no longer want a constitution or to be a republic that is not possible with our system. Being democratic doesn’t equate to being a democracy, a very narrow definition of a democracy would really be an anarchy. That’s the real problem with the skateboarders in Seattle, in reality they want an anarchist communism government. The real problem is the LBGTQ community doesn’t understand that once they get communism, communism demands production in the LBGTQ community isn’t capable of that. Protesting for their own demise. Sorry, rabbit trail
I guess we just disagree on what constitutes a democracy. What you describe just doesn't exist anywhere.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I guess we just disagree on what constitutes a democracy. What you describe just doesn't exist anywhere.
Correct, nobody has a true democracy. A republic has elements of a democracy but is not a democracy. I see you’re from Canada, nobody really knows what form of government you actually have or how to define it. ;)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Correct, nobody has a true democracy. A republic has elements of a democracy but is not a democracy. I see you’re from Canada, nobody really knows what form of government you actually have or how to define it. ;)
Nobody knows what form of government we have? It's a representative democracy, like the US, a federation (also like the US) and a constitutional monarchy.

Democracy, as you seem to define it, exists only in theory. Any attempt to institute such a system results in tyranny of the majority, which is not democratic. A practical form requires checks and balances to prevent that. It's imperfect, but better than the alternatives.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Nobody knows what form of government we have? It's a representative democracy, like the US, a federation (also like the US) and a constitutional monarchy.

Democracy, as you seem to define it, exists only in theory. Any attempt to institute such a system results in tyranny of the majority, which is not democratic. A practical form requires checks and balances to prevent that. It's imperfect, but better than the alternatives.
America is by no means perfect but we are unique. We are the only “representative republic/democracy” where it’s Constitution ONLY restricts its government and not its citizens. We also have three distinct but EQUAL branches of government, also distinct among all other countries. All other forms of free democratic governments on Earth rely solely on America for their freedoms and cannot stand alone without Her!

This is not a slight or attack on anyone, just a simple fact. I understand many other nations judge America while enjoying the Freedom She provides. Again, I’m not condemning other nations for their opinions or judgements of America but they would not have the freedom to do so without Her. I’m aware of the current political climate and America stands an easy target but if you remove Her from your own history you lack the strength to hold the stone to hurl at Her.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
America is by no means perfect but we are unique. We are the only “representative republic/democracy” where it’s Constitution ONLY restricts its government and not its citizens. We also have three distinct but EQUAL branches of government, also distinct among all other countries.
The US may be unique in the way its constitution is written, but what is the practical effect? The Human Freedom Index places the US in 15th place (Canada is 8th).

All other forms of free democratic governments on Earth rely solely on America for their freedoms and cannot stand alone without Her!
So, should the US not exist, the tyrants would just impose their will upon the rest of us? The Chinese would invade...everywhere? I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Don't get me wrong, the US has assumed the vast majority of the western defense burden since WW2. But, nobody forced her to do so, she did that of her own volition. If the US had chosen, after WW2, to go back into isolation and shrink her military forces, the rest of the alliance would have been forced to maintain stronger militaries. Your statement is hyperbolic conjecture.

This is not a slight or attack on anyone, just a simple fact. I understand many other nations judge America while enjoying the Freedom She provides. Again, I’m not condemning other nations for their opinions or judgements of America but they would not have the freedom to do so without Her. I’m aware of the current political climate and America stands an easy target but if you remove Her from your own history you lack the strength to hold the stone to hurl at Her.
We are not "enjoying the Freedom She provides". The rest of the western democracies evolved from autocratic monarchies - some peacefully, others less so - and chose that form of government. The US government couldn't care less if we were democratic, or not, as long as we maintained capitalism. Just consider the Latin American client states of the US.

I've stated this before - there is a great deal to admire about the US. We are all aware of her vast contributions to the world - to science, economics, culture and, yes, democratic ideals.

While many in the west may be engaging in schadenfreude over the current turmoil in the US, I AM NOT. It saddens me to see the extreme polarization of American society.

Getting back on topic - the SCOTUS. This opinion piece illustrates how we find the nomination process for and composition of the SCOTUS so bizarre. While, I might consider it a bug, you may consider it a feature.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The US may be unique in the way its constitution is written, but what is the practical effect? The Human Freedom Index places the US in 15th place (Canada is 8th).

So, should the US not exist, the tyrants would just impose their will upon the rest of us? The Chinese would invade...everywhere? I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Don't get me wrong, the US has assumed the vast majority of the western defense burden since WW2. But, nobody forced her to do so, she did that of her own volition. If the US had chosen, after WW2, to go back into isolation and shrink her military forces, the rest of the alliance would have been forced to maintain stronger militaries. Your statement is hyperbolic conjecture.

We are not "enjoying the Freedom She provides". The rest of the western democracies evolved from autocratic monarchies - some peacefully, others less so - and chose that form of government. The US government couldn't care less if we were democratic, or not, as long as we maintained capitalism. Just consider the Latin American client states of the US.

I've stated this before - there is a great deal to admire about the US. We are all aware of her vast contributions to the world - to science, economics, culture and, yes, democratic ideals.

While many in the west may be engaging in schadenfreude over the current turmoil in the US, I AM NOT. It saddens me to see the extreme polarization of American society.

Getting back on topic - the SCOTUS. This opinion piece illustrates how we find the nomination process for and composition of the SCOTUS so bizarre. While, I might consider it a bug, you may consider it a feature.
I had a couple drinks last night and felt a bit impassioned. I guess it fits with American politics as a whole, the very first video recording of a presidential convention in America there was a huge brawl and many Senators and Congressmen burned a pile of furniture. Generally our Supreme Court has been much less colorful, I’m hoping this is a season that will pass. Many fear a coming civil war, American citizens have more small arms than all the militaries of the world, pray for us.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I had a couple drinks last night and felt a bit impassioned. I guess it fits with American politics as a whole, the very first video recording of a presidential convention in America there was a huge brawl and many Senators and Congressmen burned a pile of furniture. Generally our Supreme Court has been much less colorful, I’m hoping this is a season that will pass. Many fear a coming civil war, American citizens have more small arms than all the militaries of the world, pray for us.
Ha! It's all good! Canadian politics are a bit staid (read: boring) in comparison. I do hope the various factions in the US can find some common ground to cling to.

highfigh

highfigh

… or remembered better. Quick trivia quiz:

What is the link between Joe McCarthy and Donald Trump?

Answer: Roy Cohn. Look him up.
That's not a link, it's a mutual
So In reality he was warning the world about the cold war then right? Nothing to do with those Atomic bombs they were blowing up in Nevada right? or the Pacific Ocean they still don't know what the fallout pun intended is going to be with that.
No, he was warning about the American military/industrial complex and the friends in the military & industries doing favors for each other, just to keep the businesses roaring along and the US in an endless string of wars.

highfigh

highfigh

The US is a

Not a Federal Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy, as is Canada. Mobocracy would result if we had a simple Democracy, but some people seem to want that.

Check out Don Lemon's comments- even Chris Cuomo didn't agree with him and that surprised me-

Let me know if you hear anything that goes against democracy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis