Justice League: The Snyder Cut

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I set aside a 4 hour block of time yesterday and watched the whole thing in one sitting.

I went into it expecting it to be an improvement over the theatrical release, but wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. Is it perfect? No. This version fixes a lot of the issues that plagued the Whedon version, but creates a few of its own. Some of it doesn't make sense, but still a vast improvement over what we got the first time around. I really liked it, thumbs up!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My biggest complaint is 4:3. I get it, Synder envisions this hitting Imax and wanted it in that format, but for those of us with OLED screens and a 4 hour run time, not a good mix. Though it took me 3 days to finish, so I guess there is that.

What I liked (Spoiler Free)
1. Better character backstory
2. Added some nice action sequences
3. Introduction of other DC characters
4. Much better ending IMO than original (does not include epilogue)
5. Epilogue - was nice addition

What I disliked
1. 4:3 enough said, should have had 2 formats if he wants to bring to Imax
2. Same challenges with plot holes
3. Soundtrack (the mix of original mixed with Synder's version (think watchman) doesn't gel at times)
4. Snyder likes up close shots and they work a lot of times, other times they don't
5. CGI, two steps below Marvel

If this is this was the original version, I would have enjoyed it minus the extra long run time. But overall I did like it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm....might try it again, but sure didn't care for the original release much....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My biggest complaint is 4:3. I get it, Synder envisions this hitting Imax and wanted it in that format, but for those of us with OLED screens and a 4 hour run time, not a good mix. Though it took me 3 days to finish, so I guess there is that.

What I liked (Spoiler Free)
1. Better character backstory
2. Added some nice action sequences
3. Introduction of other DC characters
4. Much better ending IMO than original (does not include epilogue)
5. Epilogue - was nice addition

What I disliked
1. 4:3 enough said, should have had 2 formats if he wants to bring to Imax
2. Same challenges with plot holes
3. Soundtrack (the mix of original mixed with Synder's version (think watchman) doesn't gel at times)
4. Snyder likes up close shots and they work a lot of times, other times they don't
5. CGI, two steps below Marvel

If this is this was the original version, I would have enjoyed it minus the extra long run time. But overall I did like it.
I agree with a lot of your points. Yes, that aspect ratio is my biggest complaint as well. That's good and bad I think. If that's the biggest complaint, that means there was a lot that worked. Otoh, it's a pretty big gripe and affects the entire movie...

There's no doubt this version is much more Snydery. It felt bigger and more epic. A bit much with the slo mo here and there and lacking some color but this has moments of Zach at his best with his very visual story telling style. He's very much a "show, don't tell" kind of director, whereas Whedon has a more clever, quippy dialogue heavy approach. Both styles work, but I think trying to force them to work together had a lot to do with the mess we got the first time around. I'll bet Whedon would have done something completely different if he'd had it from the start. Instead he got a mostly finished movie dumped in his lap and had to "make it work".

I like that The Flash actually has more to contribute this time, and holy cow, Cyborg! He went from the weakest character to a big player in this version with a fully fleshed out backstory that makes so much more sense. In fact they all have something resembling a character arc now, but that's what you get with 4 hours to tell a story. Steppenwolf is greatly improved as well with much better defined motivation.

Again, it still isn't the "bestus evar!", but a big improvement. Left me wanting to see more, which is unfortunate because I don't think they're planning to go forward with Zach's version of the DCEU.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmm....might try it again, but sure didn't care for the original release much....
You should give it a shot. It is divided up into acts, I think 6 or 8, so you can pick a good spot to leave off if sitting for 4 hours isn't your thing. I watched it all in one go and there weren't many times I felt it drag too much. It didn't feel like 4 hours, so there's that. It's a completely different movie than the one you saw. I liked it enough to want to watch it again, and I just might.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just saw a thumbnail for an upcoming video about this movie and apparently it was a bigger hit than anticipated. It looks like they just might continue Zach's DCEU on HBOMax!

Haven't watched any of it yet, but Midnight's Edge does seem to have a lot of inside info and have been correct about many rumors in the past.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Haven't gotten around to watching it yet, still on my Marvel kick, but I will. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

And I'm one of the guys that didn't hate the original, so if this is that much better then I'm sure to love it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You should give it a shot. It is divided up into acts, I think 6 or 8, so you can pick a good spot to leave off if sitting for 4 hours isn't your thing. I watched it all in one go and there weren't many times I felt it drag too much. It didn't feel like 4 hours, so there's that. It's a completely different movie than the one you saw. I liked it enough to want to watch it again, and I just might.
I did and it made much more sense this way....think this format really helps develop the story rather than just hit points that assume you know the background.....actually enjoyed it, took a few breaks at the chapter breaks, too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis