Just set up the be PB 2000 Pro

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok guys I ran Audyssey yesterday at -18 which is what Audyssey wanted. I felt it a bit underwhelming. I talked to SVS and I set it up pretty much correctly without going into some the real technical stuff in the app. They pretty much said after running Audyssey it's just playing around and getting things the way you like. He says after Audyssey a lot of people raise the volume of the sub. I thought at -18 that was kinda high. So hey what the heck, I raised it to -15 and now I see what this sub can do. This thing really kicks @ss. Just 3db did all this?
So as dumb as it sounds all is took was raising the volume 3db from -18 to -15. Just before was the first time I felt a sub, sub bass in my house. Like in my bones. Now I see how people go nuts with subs and go up and up and up with more and more bass. It's always been an overlooked part of HT for me for some reason. Anyway, I just need another one of these now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok guys I ran Audyssey yesterday at -18 which is what Audyssey wanted. I felt it a bit underwhelming. I talked to SVS and I set it up pretty much correctly without going into some the real technical stuff in the app. They pretty much said after running Audyssey it's just playing around and getting things the way you like. He says after Audyssey a lot of people raise the volume of the sub. I thought at -18 that was kinda high. So hey what the heck, I raised it to -15 and now I see what this sub can do. This thing really kicks @ss. Just 3db did all this?
So as dumb as it sounds all is took was raising the volume 3db from -18 to -15. Just before was the first time I felt a sub, sub bass in my house. Like in my bones. Now I see how people go nuts with subs and go up and up and up with more and more bass. It's always been an overlooked part of HT for me for some reason. Anyway, I just need another one of these now.

Generally I've always preferred to just leave the gain setting on the sub alone and change it in the avr, altho I suppose with this sub it's not hard to do with a remote and the precise settings it offers (unlike a lot of subs). But yeah many do up the sub trim a few dB post-Audyssey, for me it varies somewhat with source material, so my settings can range from a boost of 0-4 dB range generally. Hard to beat some good subwoofage I'd agree....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Generally I've always preferred to just leave the gain setting on the sub alone and change it in the avr, altho I suppose with this sub it's not hard to do with a remote and the precise settings it offers (unlike a lot of subs). But yeah many do up the sub trim a few dB post-Audyssey, for me it varies somewhat with source material, so my settings can range from a boost of 0-4 dB range generally. Hard to beat some good subwoofage I'd agree....
Well Audyssey set the PB 1000 at I think -7 and the PB 2000 Pro at -75. I upped then both by 3 to -4 and -4.5. I'm always leary of going up say 0 or definitely going into the + side. What is the general rule?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Pretty sure I use subwoofer gain more often than the volume.
See this confuses me. Subwoofer gain on the receiver and not the volume on the SVS app.? I only see volume in the SVS app.?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The gain is sometimes marked volume, but you're really adjusting the gain between the avr's pre-amp and the sub's amp (and each device has an adjustment).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well Audyssey set the PB 1000 at I think -7 and the PB 2000 Pro at -75. I upped then both by 3 to -4 and -4.5. I'm always leary of going up say 0 or definitely going into the + side. What is the general rule?

No general rule but keep in mind boost increases amp needs so can depend how much amp you need when.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I suspect Het's been running a hot single sub (possibly even a li'l distortion) this whole time and got used to it.

That's just a guess, but some of your comments sorta mirror my experience. When I got the right subs for my space and set them up properly the first time I was underwhelmed. Seemed like I suddenly had less bass. After a little bit of measuring, tweaking and critical listening I realized what was missing was distortion from the old, smaller subs. Cleaner bass sounds "quieter" than distorted bass. Not only were the old subs struggling, but they weren't up to snuff quality wise either.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I suspect Het's been running a hot single sub (possibly even a li'l distortion) this whole time and got used to it.

That's just a guess, but some of your comments sorta mirror my experience. When I got the right subs for my space and set them up properly the first time I was underwhelmed. Seemed like I suddenly had less bass. After a little bit of measuring, tweaking and critical listening I realized what was missing was distortion from the old, smaller subs. Cleaner bass sounds "quieter" than distorted bass. Not only were the old subs struggling, but they weren't up to snuff quality wise either.
I personally think he’d be better running the pb2k pro by itself. Single seat, reasonable volume levels, conservative boost levels etc. At the very least, as an experiment.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I personally think he’d be better running the pb2k pro by itself. Single seat, reasonable volume levels, conservative boost levels etc. At the very least, as an experiment.
I'm gonna try that actually coming up. First I'm gonna try the PB 1000 nearfield right by the couch. That's the next step, after that if it's not what I like them in just gonna take it out of the equation. I'll try and sell it, think I could get 100 bucks for it? That's all I would want.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna try that actually coming up. First I'm gonna try the PB 1000 nearfield right by the couch. That's the next step, after that if it's not what I like them in just gonna take it out of the equation. I'll try and sell it, think I could get 100 bucks for it? That's all I would want.

I'd think they're worth asking more, on fleabay it looks like they're going for quite a bit more (check the sold/completed listings)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I think you could do better than a hundred bucks for sure. But if you wanted to hook somebody up with a really nice entry level sub! That’s a great price.
Just for the record, I’m not bagging on ya. I just think the pro is so much better and the pb1000 Ime, sounds “grainy”. Bad description, I know lol. But kinda to pogres point, you might not even realize what it’s adding to the mix. The “potential” for better FR is there with two subs. But you still have to make sure to place them for that, and of course measure so you know fo sho.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think you could do better than a hundred bucks for sure. But if you wanted to hook somebody up with a really nice entry level sub! That’s a great price.
Just for the record, I’m not bagging on ya. I just think the pro is so much better and the pb1000 Ime, sounds “grainy”. Bad description, I know lol. But kinda to pogres point, you might not even realize what it’s adding to the mix. The “potential” for better FR is there with two subs. But you still have to make sure to place them for that, and of course measure so you know fo sho.
No problem, no offense taken. I have buy a 25 foot RCA sub cable anyway to do this experiment so maybe I'll do the just the PB 2000 Pro first. That will certainly be a cheaper experiment.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well I am very, very happy now with this sub and the way this HT sounds overall. This sub is far away, no doubt big time better than the PB 1000. I mean they are not even in the same league. Very impressed. I think I'll keep things the way they are for now. I may just take out the PB 1000 and run Audyssey just to see the difference.
Man this sub really kicks. I can feel it, like really feel it. Shaking the room, the couch. Very cool, very, very cool.
People can say bad things about SVS all they want but to me they put out great products at reasonable prices. The app. Is so cool. Who wants to get up and mess around with the back of the sub all the time or even when needed. That alone may keep with SVS forever.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
People can say bad things about SVS all they want but to me they put out great products at reasonable prices.
Who's saying bad things about SVS?? They get lots of love here!
I'll try and sell it, think I could get 100 bucks for it? That's all I would want.
You know, they make some very good speakers too... you'd get more value in trade with SVS than $100. Even if you put it toward another PB2000. Just sayin'...

tenor (4).gif

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I've got a friend that needs a decent sub. Let me know if you're really just going to unload it that cheap.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Who's saying bad things about SVS?? They get lots of love here!

You know, they make some very good speakers too... you'd get more value in trade with SVS than $100. Even if you put it toward another PB2000. Just sayin'...

View attachment 45691
I just hear people say things like they aren't what they were or you can do better for the money but I don't know what they are talking about.
Speaking of speakers, I really, really want to hear the SVS Prime Pinnacle speakers. Man I'm drooling at the thought but I absolutely love my RSL speakers. I'm not doing anything speaker wise for quite some time.
My PB 1000 is from 2016 so I'm not sure SVS would make any kind of trade. I didn't realize how old it was.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think SVS has fallen a bit on the value scale (gotta pay for all that new sales and marketing and return policies etc I imagine), but not particularly in quality per se.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well guys almost a week in with this sub and I'm thoroughly impressed and happy. It's way better then I thought it would be actually. I watched Ready player one before and was just in heaven from beginning to end. The race scene of course was wow but the explosion scene near the end was holy cow! Entire room shook throughout that part. Very, very cool I must say. I can't say enough about it. I believe it's working very well with the PB-1000 too.
So it's very powerful bass yes but now I understand what people mean about clean bass, or distortion free bass. It's a quality, not boomy bass. Now to save up for a second PB-2000 pro and take this thing over the top.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis