Just set up the be PB 2000 Pro

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok took delivery about an hour ago of the PB 2000 Pro and set it up. Big, huge learning curve here with this sub and the app. I couldn't hear anything at all coming out of it till I bumped sub level 2 which is the PB 2000 Pro is +3 and on the app. the sub volume at 20. That doesn't seem right does it? I have to run Audyssey to see what that sets things at. Any advice on a beginner with this sub? It is impressive even though everything is out of whack. When I get it right I'll really be kicking.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Ok took delivery about an hour ago of the PB 2000 Pro and set it up. Big, huge learning curve here with this sub and the app. I couldn't hear anything at all coming out of it till I bumped sub level 2 which is the PB 2000 Pro is +3 and on the app. the sub volume at 20. That doesn't seem right does it? I have to run Audyssey to see what that sets things at. Any advice on a beginner with this sub? It is impressive even though everything is out of whack. When I get it right I'll really be kicking.

Congratulations! Run Audyessy

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you rtfm?? I've never had a pro series SVS subwoofer, but the first thing I'd do is see what they suggest first time out. Hsu has me plug 1 port and use deepest extension mode to run room correction. After that is when I tinker. I imagine there's a mic involved with using SVS' dsp room correction? Or are they just presets?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did you rtfm?? I've never had a pro series SVS subwoofer, but the first thing I'd do is see what they suggest first time out. Hsu has me plug 1 port and use deepest extension mode to run room correction. After that is when I tinker. I imagine there's a mic involved with using SVS' dsp room correction? Or are they just presets?
SVS doesn't have room correction onboard, just a parametric equalizer. You might be thinking of Paradigm, MartinLogan, or a couple other brands that have automated room correction.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SVS doesn't have room correction onboard, just a parametric equalizer. You might be thinking of Paradigm, MartinLogan, or a couple other brands that have automated room correction.
Okay. Yeah, I had no idea. Thanks Shady!

In that case until you have some measurement capabilities it's gonna be tough to know what adjustments you'll want to make. I'm assuming you determined a good spot and ran room correction? I forget what you have for a receiver Het. Are you in the process of trying to blend the 2, or just working with the new one for now?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For some reason I had that impression, too, that these SVS pro versions had some sort of REQ....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't hear anything at all coming out of it till I bumped sub level 2 which is the PB 2000 Pro is +3 and on the app. the sub volume at 20. That doesn't seem right does it? I have to run Audyssey to see what that sets things at.
Okay, there has to be a general baseline setting SVS recommends for running room correction. I wouldn't get into messing with any eq, gain, or volume settings until you at least set levels and delay, which is one of the things Audyssey is pretty good at. It'll tell you where to set your sub's gain. You need to follow whatever SVS recommends for running room correction and do that first. Then make sure speakers are small, start with a crossover of 80-90 hz and go from there.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I read through some stuff that came with it and it says -10 on volume and 0 phase. I think that's what it says. I really need to run Audyssey, that's the key. When I raised the speaker level on the Denon to +3 the bass was very deep but still not set to correctly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I read through some stuff that came with it and it says -10 on volume and 0 phase. I think that's what it says. I really need to run Audyssey, that's the key. When I raised the speaker level on the Denon to +3 the bass was very deep but still not set to correctly.

Yes, I agree. Run Audyssey first. Right now you're just shooting in the dark.

This might just be the catalyst for ol' Het to invest in a Umik, roll up your sleeves and start digging into REW... :p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, I agree. Run Audyssey first. Right now you're just shooting in the dark.

This might just be the catalyst for ol' Het to invest in a Umik, roll up your sleeves and start digging into REW... :p
Ok ran Audyssey and the speakers sound great but bass for both subs were set extremely low, -10 for the PB 1000 and -12 for the PB 2000 pro. Audyssey was not happy with how SVS had the volume set for calibration. It said it was too high but I ignored that and ran anyway.
Should I just up the sub levels now? What do you think I should do here?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok ran Audyssey and the speakers sound great but bass for both subs were set extremely low, -10 for the PB 1000 and -12 for the PB 2000 pro. Audyssey was not happy with how SVS had the volume set for calibration. It said it was too high but I ignored that and ran anyway.
Should I just up the sub levels now? What do you think I should do here?

If -12 is where the AVR is, and not on the subs then yes. It’s too hot. -12 is the maximum negative trim available so you have no idea how hot it was. Therefore you’ll never know how much hotter you’ll be after bumping them up.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, level matched the subs using Audyssey then reran Audyssey. Sub levels were at 7.5 so better. I then upped it by 3db. I set my RSL speakers to 90 crossover and let me tell your dam inexpensive RSL speakers sound absolutely fantastic. I don't understand how are this price and size. I cannot say how much I love them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, level matched the subs using Audyssey then reran Audyssey. Sub levels were at 7.5 so better. I then upped it by 3db. I set my RSL speakers to 90 crossover and let me tell your dam inexpensive RSL speakers sound absolutely fantastic. I don't understand how are this price and size. I cannot say how much I love them.

It's good that you have independent sub outs with the 2 different subs. From what SVS told you it shouldn't be a big issue since they're both similarly tuned so that's good too. It's pretty normal to bump your sub trim a couple of dB once calibrated. I like DEQ too, it adds a li'l more oomph. Don't be afraid to play with higher crossovers too. For the longest time I used 120 hz with my Ultra towers because that's just where they sounded and measured better. Drove me nuts because I knew those towers were capable of a lot more, but that's where it worked in my room.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's good that you have independent sub outs with the 2 different subs. From what SVS told you it shouldn't be a big issue since they're both similarly tuned so that's good too. It's pretty normal to bump your sub trim a couple of dB once calibrated. I like DEQ too, it adds a li'l more oomph. Don't be afraid to play with higher crossovers too. For the longest time I used 120 hz with my Ultra towers because that's just where they sounded and measured better. Drove me nuts because I knew those towers were capable of a lot more, but that's where it worked in my room.
Yes, I have an SPL meter. Haven't used it in forever but I have it.
I'm gonna have to play and more with the subs. It sounds good but not exactly blowing me away at this point. The system overall sound awesome though. I have Audyssey on flat. DEQ is on -0.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Did you try the pb2k by itself at all? Or just go straight to the duals?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Did you try the pb2k by itself at all? Or just go straight to the duals?
Straight duals so far. Just got it today so playing around with both at the moment. Maybe I'll try just the PB 2000 Pro by itself at some point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Straight duals so far. Just got it today so playing around with both at the moment. Maybe I'll try just the PB 2000 Pro by itself at some point.

FWIW, I definitely would.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW, I definitely would.
I'm thinking of trading it in for a second PB 2000 pro. They said they would take it back which I did understand, it's 3 years old I think. 2019 I think I bought it.
The trade up program is interesting but just a tad complicated. I pay shipping I think for the old sub back to SVS. I pay full price for the new sub and when they receive the old sub they apply the full price to the new sub. At least I think that's how it works.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I'm thinking of trading it in for a second PB 2000 pro. They said they would take it back which I did understand, it's 3 years old I think. 2019 I think I bought it.
The trade up program is interesting but just a tad complicated. I pay shipping I think for the old sub back to SVS. I pay full price for the new sub and when they receive the old sub they apply the full price to the new sub. At least I think that's how it works.

Sounds like a deal to me, shipping can’t be more than $100 so you’ll get approximately $400 off a PB2000 pro, so $499.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like a deal to me, shipping can’t be more than $100 so you’ll get approximately $400 off a PB2000 pro, so $499.
Not only that but outlet products are eligible. Cut that down by 100 bucks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis