Just placed an order with SVS... :)

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
I was going to wait for tax return time but the Holiday price on the STS-02 5.0 was to good to pass up..

I am really excited, I am only hours away from their HQ too, so I am hopping to have them by the middle of the week.

Unfortunately i was unable to order a sub, but I hope to order that in the spring. I think i am going to get the PC12-NSD.

Anyhow I am just beaming with excitement and wanted to share with others that didnt just roll their eyes... lol

A few Questions...

1) How will the towers sound without a sub? I am not expecting earth pounding bass, but will it be good enough to hold me over for a few months?

2) My Onkyo 876 allows me to Bi-Amp the front speakers when using a 5.1 setup. would it be ok to send 210w to each tower or should I stick with the standard 140w

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
a guy at work asked me to recommend stuff that is one of a few i am going to recommend.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
1) How will the towers sound without a sub? I am not expecting earth pounding bass, but will it be good enough to hold me over for a few months?
Looking at the graph:

They seem to want to be crossed over to a sub around 80hz. Even though they're towers, they seem designed for great mid bass and overall output. I bet you that you won't have much "bass" impact to be honest but plenty of clarity. Once you add a sub or two you'll probably be able to drive them LOUD! IN fact I think that, being a 2.5 way design, running them full range you will probably compromise midrange clarity. Once you add a sub, the 6.5" drivers will be high passed and that will really improve your total system performance. The sub will give you much more meaningful and impactful bass, while taking away the low frequency load from the midrange drivers and allowing them to operate in their area of comfort.

I'm sure they're a nice speaker, but they're definitely not designed to be run full range.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i don't think the STS-02's have dual binding posts (worthless to bi-amp using the receiver anyway)

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Congrats on your new toys :)

I'm sure you'll be done with your speakers, but your second step will be getting a SW from them and then you'll be in heaven ;)

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Let us know how they sound! SVS is a solid company and you will not go wrong with the PC12-NSD when the time comes. I love mine.

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Some first impressions...

These things are HUGE! lol i wasnt sure what to expect, but going from a micro bookshelf system to the SVS towers.. wow...

And i also love the "bigger" sound... its more room filling...

One negative.. i am using a BDI tv stand with my center ch inside the cabinet. and it sounds a little echo-ie. you can definitely tell its inside something..

I an VERY happy, I cant wait for break in and to get a sub...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Don't expect them to break in, but you can definitely improve their sound with

-treatments at key reflection points. I would get a thick rug for the floor, absorbers for the nearest side-wall, diffusers for the ceiling and further side-wall, and diffusers behind you.

-bass traps along as many room corners as you can. sidewall-sidewall side-wall-ceiling, side-wall floor.

-playing around with placement more.

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
If you like your STS-02s half as much as I like mine you'll be a VERY happy man. Mine are part of a 7.1 system that includes the SVS sub and SSS-02 bipole side surrounds. Incredible sounding system.

Tom

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis