Just ordered Axioms!

A

Ajax

Audioholic
genesis, glad to hear you're enjoying your Axioms. I'm sorry I lost track of this thread and didn't respond to your question about what replaced my Axioms. I have a complete Rocket setup now (850s/RSC200/RSS300s/RS250s). But, my Axioms are residing happily in my brother's home, still putting out wonderful sound.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
but I didn't care at all for the auto eq. I fiddled around for a bit with that and finally found the flat setting on the 3805 to be an excellent starting point. I set the manual to match the flat and went from there.
I'd advise you to turn off the EQ on the 3805 and do extensive listening tests to see if you prefer it over the EQ. Congrats on your setup.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Thanks for the responses!

Gene: Tried it in the off position and didn't like the sound. Flat was tons better to my ears, and I went from there.

Mike

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
gene said:
I'd advise you to turn off the EQ on the 3805 and do extensive listening tests to see if you prefer it over the EQ. Congrats on your setup.
Hi guys,

I'm still quite intrigued with the EQ settings on my 3805. Why do Genesis 471 says to put the EQ settings on manual to match the flat response??

As far as I understand, the manual setting gives you the possibility to tweak at your own taste. As for the flat setting, it'll will be, as the words says, just flat.

In my specific case, I used to enjoy more the flat option before, but after a while I've tried Gene's option (3805 review) to leave the EQ OFF.

Later on, Buckeye gave me a pretty good explanation in how to tweak the EQ settings properly and that seems to be the best option indeed, so now the MANUAL setting is according to my personal taste (put a good reference CD, select the receiver mode to stereo, start tweaking with frequencies on manual setting and once you got to the point, just mirror image the same settings to the other speakers and you're done).

I use to swap between OFF & MANUAL settings now. I discovered that the FLAT setting now sounds pretty much METALLIC to my hears ( or too much of a DIGITAL sound, if you want...).

I might be doing something wrong, I don't know, so I would appreciate to discuss that more deeply, in order to cross-check data.
I'm tweaking my whole system now, due to my recent woofer upgrade.

Perhaps we better start another thread, as to avoid been off-topic.

Cheers / Avliner.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Denon say to use the flat for itu-r speaker setting. I have no idea. BTW,after playing around alot,i leave mine off also.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
shokhead said:
Denon say to use the flat for itu-r speaker setting/QUOTE]

What's the meaning of ITU-R, by the way??

Cheers / Avliner.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
shokhead said:
And the difference between flat and off is?
That's a good question... I looked at the data on the tv screen for flat vrs off, and off has all values set to zero, flat has all kind of values other then zero. I really don't feel like posting the numbers though. Flat sounds waaaayyy better then off. I like it!

Mike

G

genesis471

Audioholic
avliner said:
Hi guys,

I'm still quite intrigued with the EQ settings on my 3805. Why do Genesis 471 says to put the EQ settings on manual to match the flat response??

As far as I understand, the manual setting gives you the possibility to tweak at your own taste. As for the flat setting, it'll will be, as the words says, just flat.

In my specific case, I used to enjoy more the flat option before, but after a while I've tried Gene's option (3805 review) to leave the EQ OFF.

Later on, Buckeye gave me a pretty good explanation in how to tweak the EQ settings properly and that seems to be the best option indeed, so now the MANUAL setting is according to my personal taste (put a good reference CD, select the receiver mode to stereo, start tweaking with frequencies on manual setting and once you got to the point, just mirror image the same settings to the other speakers and you're done).

I use to swap between OFF & MANUAL settings now. I discovered that the FLAT setting now sounds pretty much METALLIC to my hears ( or too much of a DIGITAL sound, if you want...).

I might be doing something wrong, I don't know, so I would appreciate to discuss that more deeply, in order to cross-check data.
I'm tweaking my whole system now, due to my recent woofer upgrade.

Perhaps we better start another thread, as to avoid been off-topic.

Cheers / Avliner.
Good points and I'm going to try the 'off' setting and play around. I've had limited time to play thus far since having the new speakers. I happen to like the sound of them using the flat setting (modified). That being said, I had mentioned prior that I used the flat setting as a starting point, transferred the numbers into the manual eq, and tweaked from there. At least that's what I tried to say!

Mike

G

genesis471

Audioholic
Ajax said:
genesis, glad to hear you're enjoying your Axioms. I'm sorry I lost track of this thread and didn't respond to your question about what replaced my Axioms. I have a complete Rocket setup now (850s/RSC200/RSS300s/RS250s). But, my Axioms are residing happily in my brother's home, still putting out wonderful sound.
Loving them thanks Ajax! Never heard of Rocket hope you are enjoying them! ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis