Just ordered a Roku

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wasn't sure if the lower models did 5.1, but it does show up on my XD as an option.

Yes, as mentioned, the source material is the real culprit there. Only a small portion of the streaming content out there is currently 5.1. Netflix streams up to 640K also (DD+), so we aren't talking lossless audio either. No TrueHD, dtsHD-MA or uncompressed PCM like you would get on Blu-ray.

I am not aware of too many devices that are actually 5.1 enabled with Neftlix yet either. The PS3 and obviously a few of the Rokus also, but not sure how many others are. I think there are only like 3 or 4 devices that currently are, but the limiting factor is still the source material.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a 5.1 speaker set on your <strike>TV</strike> PC you can do a free Netflix trial and see if you like it. That way you're not putting out money for a streaming device before trying it.
Oops had to fix a brain fade.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I havn't checked into it yet, but I don't think it's available here yet.
I'm curious of the cost. :rolleyes:
Dish "Hopper" as it is called is now being blasted all over the Dish site as of today.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had this thing for a few weeks now and do have some minor complaints. Even with a 2G SD card in it, it seemed to freeze randomly on both Netflix and Amazon (Amazon more frequently), to the point where I had to unplug it to reset it. So this weekend I switched it to a 4G SD card and it seems to have helped considerably. I have not had it quit responding since doing this. Overall, I am pretty pleased with it so far. Going to sign up for the month of free Hulu+ soon now that I've pretty much decided to keep it (still within the 30 day trial period).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Saw that yesterday too. Not sure if good enough at a slight price premium over the Chromecast, but it works with other devices and uses HDMI port so that's kinda cool.

My issue with that unit, and why I didn't post it, is that it uses an old style chip which means using it will kind of suck (guess).

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like our Roku 2 died this week. Probably won't buy another one.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
When we purchased our house last year my wife and I decided to forgo cable. We have cable internet and stream netflix, hulu and crackle when we want to watch tv. Any audio I stream I do via the PS3 and audiofiles on my pc or with a tablet/phone directly to the stereo.

I cant see ever needing anything else and pay less than $100 a month for it all. Our first year we even did skype, it was like 12.99 for the year and used an un-activated Droid X as our home phone.

We stream via a PS3 but have been thinking of testing out the roku for heat/energy reasons more than anything.

Anyways were a satisfied family of 5 and will never go back to a cable bill. Streaming is the way to go

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When we purchased our house last year my wife and I decided to forgo cable. We have cable internet and stream netflix, hulu and crackle when we want to watch tv. Any audio I stream I do via the PS3 and audiofiles on my pc or with a tablet/phone directly to the stereo.

I cant see ever needing anything else and pay less than $100 a month for it all. Our first year we even did skype, it was like 12.99 for the year and used an un-activated Droid X as our home phone.

We stream via a PS3 but have been thinking of testing out the roku for heat/energy reasons more than anything.

Anyways were a satisfied family of 5 and will never go back to a cable bill. Streaming is the way to go
No, streaming is not the way to go, because now you put the ISP in control instead of the cable company - in many cases now, the SAME COMPANY. So the solution isn't much of a solution or a choice since they will now just jack your internet rates up instead of your cable bill. These companies know this is the situation as well.

IMO, the PS3 is a better streamer than a Roku, but the Roku is certainly smaller, somewhat easier to use and has none of the size/fan/heat factors. I dropped cable nearly 2 years ago and have zero desire to have it back.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis