Just joined a book club

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I just enrolled in the History Book club. I have always been a reader and a bit of a history buff. I may have to extend the bookcases in the den, though. First two selections are a book about the French and Indian wars and The Killer Angels (Gettysburg).

Reading articles on-line just never appealed to me like a good book. Between my duties as controller, some consultant work, as well as some corporate tax return preparation I feel the need to relax a little . Hanging out here is fun as some of you have terrific senses of humor which balances out the negative group. Still something more substantive to supplement evening surfing would be desirable.

Anyone with recommendations please chime in every so often.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Off the top of my head, I would suggest "Diplomacy" by Henry Kissinger. It starts at the end of the Victorian Era and details pre-war, inter-war and post-war diplomacy up to the current time of the book.

Given you occupation in the financial field, you might like "Clipped Coins, Abused Words & Civil Government: John Locke's philosophy of money" by Constantine George Caffentzis. It reads more like a thesis than a novel, but very interesting. You can read how Locke argued that counterfeiting should be considered treason and subject to the death penalty. Certainly America's foreign enemies use counterfeiting as a weapon against the States.

For pure enjoyment, I like anything by Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
"The Creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin, which is about the formation and operation of the federal reserve. Great book.

"Lincoln" by David Herbert Donald is also good.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
"Jawbreaker" is about the CIA spearheading America's retaliations in Afghanistan.
Not sure of the author.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
This is a great non-fiction book.
Government by Judiciary by Raoul Berger, sounded an alarm about the extent of the judiciary’s encroachments on democratic legislative authority. Under the pretext of giving force to Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection, Berger argued, the courts have in effect rewritten the Constitution to make it conform in key respects to the judges’ own favored moral and political notions. Although Berger’s book, provoked a firestorm of protest from defenders of expansive judicial power, it's critique of judicial usurpation was compelling then, and, if anything, seems even more so today.
Also, I'm half way through, 'Cat in a Hat'
Will let you know how it turns out.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis