just inherited a set of INFINITY REFERENCE 60

M

MiniK

Audiophyte
Hello fellow audio experts.

This is my first post and I have a few questions on my newly inherited set of speakers - Infinity Reference 60.

The speaker sets are 10 years old, but in mint condition. I am wondering if I can build on this set of floorstanding speakers and integrate them into a 5.1 or 6.1 systems.

The specs are here (copied directly from Infinity website):
Infinity Reference 60
Frequency Response: 42Hz - 40kHz (+/-2.5dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 250Hz, 4kHz
Sensitivity: 90dB (2.8V/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Power Handling, RMS: 35 -200 watts
Woofer: 20.3 cm IMG
Midrange Driver: 12.7cm IMG
Tweeter: EMIT-R

Thanks for your expertise.

MiniK

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Congratulations! The toughest problem will be finding a center channel with the same "timbre" or sound characteristics as the IR60s. I don't know if Infinity made a small bookshelf/monitor or center channel speaker in that series, or any with the EMIT tweeter, but looking for some used would be a place to start. Timbre matching of the rears is less important.

You can contact Infinity directly thru their Website to ask if they made a bookshelf, small monitor or center channel speaker in that series, and you can also find specs and manuals for all their speakers, current and old, on their site.

Infinity Website

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Rip, I have to disagree on one thing you said, timbre matching on the rear is just as important when you are listening to DVD A or SACD mult-channel. I feel it is less important on movies than music, but some would even argue that as well. However,you are correct in say that in a two channel system matching the rear is not important at all ;) OMG we finally disagreed on something, I hope we are still friends :D :)

M

MiniK

Audiophyte
Thanks Jeff and Rip.

Actually, I have just e-mailed Infinity asking the same question to them. I'll see if they can come up with a match for me.

I have a question though. The IR 60 has Nominal Impedance of 6 ohms, which is kind of different from the standard 4 or 8 ohms nowadays. Does that make it more difficult to match?

Thanks
MiniK

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
6 ohms is fairly common, not a problem for any modern amp to drive. Only when you go below 4 ohms does amp design become an issue. With 4 to 16 ohms, anything made today and most old stuff will have no problem at all. Don't give it a second thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis