Just canceled Netflix

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Recently, I had to "prove who you are" to the USPS when I changed my address. They even charged me $1.10 to complete the process.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Piracy keeps looking better and better.
You Sir, have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Everything's available if you know where to look. You'se Duck Duck Go as your browser together with a VPN, and set it up to download at night. And you won't need a parrot or an eye patch.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You Sir, have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Everything's available if you know where to look. You'se Duck Duck Go as your browser together with a VPN, and set it up to download at night. And you won't need a parrot or an eye patch.
I don't mind paying. I was a beta customer with Netflix when they had 50 streaming titles. That means for all those years, paying for multiple streams, that when you started one stream too many it simply told you that and you have to quit the other client/end point.

That's a tacit permission afaic that you get X # of streams and that was that. You can shear a sheep many time, you can only skin it once.

I'm a network engineer so I know how a lot of this works (we actually have netflix CDN boxes at our colo's) wrt VPN, SONAR, etc...

I don't have to go that route but understand why some do. It's mildly annoying when I pop a DVD or BR in and have to sit through the "You wouldn't steal this woman's purse now would you?" all the while why I'm watching the disc that I paid the studio for. Nothing like calling out your paying customers.

So that's the stuff that I'll shift with Handbrake.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Great thread. Our Netflix subscription goes back to the days of getting DVDs in the mail. Streaming services have allowed what cable companies have avoided for years - a la carte choices. Comcast kept rising their prices, dropping some channels we watched and adding ones we didn’t want and it got to to be too much even though they included Netflix in the package. Had A Bundle with cable, wi-fi, phone and security. Finally cut the cable and phone and kept Netflix, we had Prime, Disney and have added Hulu and recently Discovery and Peacock. Covers everything the family wants along with HD antennas on each TV. Saving $ and get all the channels/shows we want. It’s amazing how much content is available now online. Paying less and enjoying TV more than ever.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So if they judge your location to be different, say your main home and secondary home (or if you're helping your parents out in this case), they have no option to confirm that they're both yours as long as you stay within your limits at a given time? Mine are all in one house but use all four, altho not simultaneously, not been challenged....,maybe I'll see if I can trigger it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So if they judge your location to be different, say your main home and secondary home (or if you're helping your parents out in this case), they have no option to confirm that they're both yours as long as you stay within your limits at a given time? Mine are all in one house but use all four, altho not simultaneously, not been challenged....,maybe I'll see if I can trigger it.
Correct.

My only other option would be to get some firewalls that do DYNDNS and setup box to box VPN and put my home gateway with a policy route map for the Netflix IP Block as the route at my parents. The only issue is I would need to get internet service that is asymmetric.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd heard of Netflix cracking down on allowing others to use your account, but does the language of the contract now limit physical location to one?

ps with the constant asking of which user is using the service, which I find really annoying and wish there was a bypass for, didn't think they restricted physical location for a particular subscriber.....

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'd heard of Netflix cracking down on allowing others to use your account, but does the language of the contract now limit physical location to one?

ps with the constant asking of which user is using the service, which I find really annoying and wish there was a bypass for, didn't think they restricted physical location for a particular subscriber.....
If they see streams requested from two different ip addresses it can kick off the challenge/response from them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they see streams requested from two different ip addresses it can kick off the challenge/response from them.
So it's a constant challenge, no way to just confirm their info is correct even with customer service help?

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Shared passwords are supposedly a thing of the past, if you really believe what there telling you. Of cause if you set up the account using a VPN in the first place they have no knowledge of where you are. And the person using the same account uses the same VPN. Of cause don't be crazy, if your in America, don't use a VPN listed in Zanzibar. Just use an American one. The point being as long as your location it's untraceable it's game over. And the point being if there's millions of subscribers, why would they single you out..

Raises hand, Pick me, Pick me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they make it clear your multi device options are only good in one IP location, that's one thing....but if you want to be mobile, especially with their encouragement of mobile devices, seems there should be a way (or is it just cookie based, something I personally clear)?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I just USE the NET and have been for 23 years....no VPN even needed that way.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Shared passwords are supposedly a thing of the past, if you really believe what there telling you. Of cause if you set up the account using a VPN in the first place they have no knowledge of where you are. And the person using the same account uses the same VPN. Of cause don't be crazy, if your in America, don't use a VPN listed in Zanzibar. Just use an American one. The point being as long as your location it's untraceable it's game over. And the point being if there's millions of subscribers, why would they single you out..

Raises hand, Pick me, Pick me.
I think Netflix blocks most VPN services. I don't know if they bother if you setup a VPN server at say Digital Ocean.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If they make it clear your multi device options are only good in one IP location, that's one thing....but if you want to be mobile, especially with their encouragement of mobile devices, seems there should be a way (or is it just cookie based, something I personally clear)?
I think if you are using a phone with a HDMI adapter you won't get hassled. But I really don't know.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have 3 daughters in college. I paid for the plan that allowed 3-4 streams at one time or whatever it was. It annoys me that they might challenge me but whatever. I downgraded to the on with Ads for $6.99 and to be honest, it's been fine and the difference in price allows me to pay for some of the other streams I pay for and use (Hulu/ESPN/Disney bundle and Peacock)

I won't go back but I bet they increase the price on the Ads level pretty quick.

The ads allow me time to check my phone or go to the bathroom or whatever. Not a big deal

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you are using a phone with a HDMI adapter you won't get hassled. But I really don't know.
I was thinking more a phone in different locations using different networks. They do market this sort of thing, altho useless to me, does seem to be a significant user group.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I logged in to Netflix on my sisters smart tv while visiting her when she lived out of state. Of course, I never logged out (who thinks of doing that?) and she kept using it. Which I never realized. She then moved back in state and Netflix asked her for a password. She called and asked me to give here. I pissed her off and didn't provide it to her.

This was a couple of years ago, but it appears a change in IP address set this off. This incident alone makes me think it's not a bad idea if providers to come up with novel ways to prevent this type of thievery. If it's not being used at the main household, asking for a password should be viewed as protecting you and your earned dollar. It was convenient for my sis to keep using Netflix, but that doesn't make it ethically justifiable.

In the end, we all pay for people stealing whether it's streaming or groceries. Even the lowest numbers I can find on people stealing any streaming service are astronomical in terms of $$$$ lost which can go a long way towards keeping costs down and providing new content.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
But the streaming companies do things that are very irritating and recently I cancelled Amazon Prime Video along with the MGM. So, in Sweden Amazon recently introduced MGM as well as option to rent certain movies/series, so I got MGM to binge-watch the old TV series Stargate SG-1, but at end of season 5 I found out that the last 5 seasons are not available. Combine that with extensive advertisments (in search and elsewhere) in the app of things to buy/rent I just cancelled it.
Check out Pluto.TV. They have an entire channel that's just Stargate episodes. Completely free, at least for now.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think Netflix blocks most VPN services. I don't know if they bother if you setup a VPN server at say Digital Ocean.
I believe they started blocking VPNs several years ago, when lots of Canadians were using them to access American Netflix, which had programming not available in Canada.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

Netflix has Transfer Profile when going to another location other than your main location. Its free, but if its not a member on your plan its $7.99.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis