Just bought Axioms. Now about the speaker wire.

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
I just took the plunge and finally ordered the following:

M60
VP150
2 x QS8
EP500

The gentleman who took my order was very courteous and helpful. One topic we discussed that want opinions on as is about the Speaker Wire I'm using for the 6ohm QS8's. I currently have spent a lot of time running the wire under carpet, and through wire molding on the baseboards, so I'd hate to have to undo it, BUT.......One wire run is 47 feet, and the other is 58 feet. With that said, I'm using the Monster XP Navajo White 16ga flat stuff. Do I need to go 12ga? I know w/lengths that long, it is recommended, but since we're talking about the surrounds, is it as critical? Even w/them being 6ohm? The gentleman I worked w/said at Axiom said I'm fine w/the current wire since it is for surrounds; however, I don't want to short change myself if the 12ga stuff would make a difference to the Qs8's. If the difference is negligible, then I'd hate to undo all the wire work I've already done.

W

woodman

Enthusiast
darthkringle said:
One topic we discussed that want opinions on as is about the Speaker Wire I'm using for the 6ohm QS8's. I currently have spent a lot of time running the wire under carpet, and through wire molding on the baseboards, so I'd hate to have to undo it, BUT.......One wire run is 47 feet, and the other is 58 feet. With that said, I'm using the Monster XP Navajo White 16ga flat stuff. Do I need to go 12ga? I know w/lengths that long, it is recommended, but since we're talking about the surrounds, is it as critical? Even w/them being 6ohm? The gentleman I worked w/said at Axiom said I'm fine w/the current wire since it is for surrounds; however, I don't want to short change myself if the 12ga stuff would make a difference to the Qs8's. If the difference is negligible, then I'd hate to undo all the wire work I've already done.
I'm glad that you asked, since I can save you from a excercise in futility - not to mention a total waste of time. You just might get a reply from someone trying to tell you that it will make a difference ... an "improvement" in the quality of sound, but they quite simply don't know whereof they speak. Having spent more than 60 years actually working with audio, I do know whereof and wherefore.

Rest easy, don't fret - don't lie awake at night for even a minute wondering if you should've replaced that "inadequate" 16ga. wire with 12ga. It wouldn't make enough of a difference to be audible - ignore anyone trying to tell you differently. Although it is true that the 12ga. wire will deliver more signal to the load (the speakers) than 16ga. will, the increase in efficiency will not be enough to be heard. In addition to this sobering bit of news is the fact that any A/V receiver worth its salt will have the ability to INCREASE the signal level going to the surround speakers making any "efficiency improvement" completely irrelevant.

Feel better now? Hope this has helped you -

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, Mr.Lee already has your money, so I don't think theres any need to upgrade again! You are using THX-certified speaker cable already, what more could you gain? The ability to serve double-duty as 50,000 volt jumper cables?

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
You could rip out the carpet, install 4 gauge wire the size of a garden hose, and as Woodman said, it would not make a bit of difference.

Oh, sure, on some level it would make a "difference", about the same difference that I achieve in the mpg (miles per gallon) in my car by reducing the aerodynamic drag from the accumulated bird droppings on the roof of the car when I wash the car every day versus once a week..... in other words about 0.001 mpg.

We all get carried away with "improvements". Some "improvements" are real, some barely exist.

D

darthkringle

Junior Audioholic
Thanks all, I feel much better and can always change if I ever move. Thanks again.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis